Author Topic: Vanity - This is not 1980  (Read 6553 times)

Offline dfwgator

Re: Vanity - This is not 1980
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2016, 06:03:17 pm »
An eye single on ECONOMIC GROWTH.   Nontraditional families and emerging ethnic groups want good jobs, too.

The other problem is that we have a media that has gone out of their way to portray a pretty rosy picture of the economy.    This is one of the main reasons that Trump didn't get the traction he needed. 

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2016, 06:15:32 pm »
Then the Rats simply counter that with the usual attacks of "Tax cuts for the Rich, Voodoo Economics, etc."

Except now it's the GOP and their nominee who spout that same crap.

Uniparty indeed.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2016, 06:37:01 pm »
I was listening to Rush on the drive back from lunch. He made a good point, early voting wasn't nearly a factor in 1980 as it is today. Nor was cable news around to wear everyone down with 24/7 reporting.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2016, 06:40:01 pm »
I was listening to Rush on the drive back from lunch. He made a good point, early voting wasn't nearly a factor in 1980 as it is today. Nor was cable news around to wear everyone down with 24/7 reporting.

Yeah excuses excuses...

So Rush already knows "we" lost?

Offline beandog

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2016, 06:43:12 pm »
Did you hear her latest screech fest? My God it was awful. I can't imagine listening to her for four or eight years. Shoot me now
There is not one single thing about the Beast that is likeable.  I would not be able to listen to the radio or tv as long as she is president, if she wins.  Her voice is suicide inducing.  At least when I hear the Donald's voice all I want to do is roll my eyes.  I'd rather roll my eyes for the next 4 years than want to kill myself.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2016, 06:47:42 pm »
There is not one single thing about the Beast that is likeable.  I would not be able to listen to the radio or tv as long as she is president, if she wins.  Her voice is suicide inducing.  At least when I hear the Donald's voice all I want to do is roll my eyes.  I'd rather roll my eyes for the next 4 years than want to kill myself.

At what point will you recognize we suffered a velvet coup that the vast majority now applaud?
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2016, 07:48:22 pm »
Vanity - This is not 1980

Really? You mean I can't go down the Pontiac dealer and *order a new Bonneville?

(*For those who don't know, you used to have to order your car and wait a month for it to be built.)

I wanna land barge.   :hard crying:
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2016, 07:51:43 pm »
Just how do you propose to do that?

I think Jazzhead is on the right track.  The conservative movement has to be aspirational, not mournful and paranoid.  If you listen to a Trump speech, there is plenty of whining, but no workable solutions are offered.  It's a downer.  The person we pick to lead the party must be capable of speaking to a wide range of voters.  You can go along way towards winning a man's vote by acknowledging his existence.  Bush did that with hispanics and got 44% of their support.  With Trump I'm not sure he knows about anybody other than blue collar factory workers rendered obsolete by NAFTA.

geronl

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2016, 07:53:36 pm »
Reagan had a huge led in all the polls for months and months

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2016, 08:02:43 pm »
I think Jazzhead is on the right track.  The conservative movement has to be aspirational, not mournful and paranoid.  If you listen to a Trump speech, there is plenty of whining, but no workable solutions are offered.  It's a downer.  The person we pick to lead the party must be capable of speaking to a wide range of voters.  You can go along way towards winning a man's vote by acknowledging his existence.  Bush did that with hispanics and got 44% of their support.  With Trump I'm not sure he knows about anybody other than blue collar factory workers rendered obsolete by NAFTA.

The problem with working hard today is that the government usually takes more than half of what you earn (fed, state, local, et al). That's why Reagan's 28% top tax rate was genius.

It's not what you make anymore, it's what you keep.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2016, 08:09:36 pm »
Reagan had a huge led in all the polls for months and months

Pretty much ... in the modern era of polling, there have been no last minute come-from-behind winners at the presidential level.  1968 and 1976 were pretty close, but the voters reverted to the early favorites in the end.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2016, 08:19:12 pm »
I wanna land barge.   :hard crying:

LOL. Come to my house. I have the market cornered.

Offline corbe

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2016, 08:57:29 pm »
LOL. Come to my house. I have the market cornered.

I bet you do, @Frank Cannon

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Oceander

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2016, 09:00:32 pm »

G'pa used to get a new one of those for G'ma every year. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2016, 09:45:08 pm »

Actually @corbe  I am a Cadillac man. Recently picked up this 60K mile one owner......

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2016, 09:56:08 pm »
I had one of these for a few years back in the late 80s....

1976 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham

Nothing like a land yacht!

Offline corbe

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2016, 10:11:56 pm »
Actually @corbe  I am a Cadillac man. Recently picked up this 60K mile one owner......

Looks pristine for a GM product of that Era, Especially up North with all the Salt.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Oceander

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2016, 10:13:19 pm »

@Frank Cannon
Like the station wagon, what is it?

HonestJohn

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2016, 10:15:51 pm »
I strongly disagree with anyone saying Reagan wouldn't win today. If the GOP nomined someone as likable and personable as Reagan today he would win.

We've I st had shitty candidates and the dems have gotten really good at nominating likable candidates.

We've had plenty of good candidates.

The problem is that the GOP primary voter never votes for them.

HonestJohn

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2016, 10:21:52 pm »

Yep.

And in Rubio, we had a candidate that:

1. had the home-state advantage in Florida (critical for any GOP win)
2. had a positive, aspirational message for *ALL* Americans
3. had a personal life story that embodied the American Dream (rags-to-riches, son of immigrants to President)

So naturally, the GOP primary voters hated him.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2016, 10:35:15 pm »

Reagan's 1980 nomination acceptance speech set the perfect tone. Reagan rightfully laid plenty of blame at the feet of the democrats but then he moved on and spoke of what we could do together as a nation. Reagan went 180 degrees in the opposite direction as Trump.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nukzTmu8tPA
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 10:35:33 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2016, 11:03:34 pm »
@Frank Cannon
Like the station wagon, what is it?

A '76 Olds Custom Cruiser that I dropped a high compression 455 in to obliterate punk kids in tuner cars.

Oceander

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2016, 11:04:38 pm »
A '76 Olds Custom Cruiser that I dropped a high compression 455 in to obliterate punk kids in tuner cars.

Sweet!  We used to have a Custom Cruiser back in the day with the rear facing third seat. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2016, 11:11:08 pm »
Sweet!  We used to have a Custom Cruiser back in the day with the rear facing third seat.

In '76 all full size GM wagon 3rd seats were forward facing.

Mine also has the electric disappearing gate.