Author Topic: World’s Priciest Gas Is Bound for One U.S. Region This Winter  (Read 2254 times)

Offline thackney

World’s Priciest Gas Is Bound for One U.S. Region This Winter
« on: November 03, 2016, 08:57:51 pm »
World’s Priciest Gas Is Bound for One U.S. Region This Winter
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/world-priciest-gas-bound-one-180403264.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw
November 1, 2016

The global glut of natural gas still hasn’t reached one corner of the U.S.

The heating fuel may surge to $20 to $25 per million British thermal units in New England this winter, the highest in the world, as pipeline bottlenecks limit supplies during frigid weather, traders including Consolidated Edison Inc.’s ConEdison Energy said. Prices have collapsed across the rest of the globe amid tepid demand growth, rising exports and a plunge in crude oil prices earlier this year.

Competition for pipeline access into New England is poised to intensify as the power grid, already getting more than half of its supply from gas, becomes even more reliant on the fuel as coal-fired plants shut. Opposition from environmental and consumer groups threatens to delay and derail new lines, including a $3 billion Spectra Energy Corp. project.

“New England remains pipeline constrained, so if bouts of very cold weather move in this winter, you could certainly see prices spike,” Alex Tertzakian, an analyst with Energy Aspects Ltd. in London, said in an e-mail Oct. 28. “This would likely make New England briefly the world’s premium market.”

as deliveries on Spectra’s Algonquin line to Boston and other New England cities for January and February were valued at more than $7.60 per million British thermal units Tuesday, according to Bloomberg Fair Value prices. In spot trading Monday, Algonquin settled at $2.76, a 3-cent discount to the benchmark Henry Hub in Louisiana.

“There is going to be a lot of volatility and it’s going to be driven by the weather,” John Borruso, ConEdison Energy’s manager of natural gas trading, said in an Oct. 20 telephone interview. “The number of days you see more than $20 is under three or five days. If it’s super cold for a number of days you might start to stress the infrastructure.”

Globally, prices aren’t expected to approach those levels in major markets. Spot liquefied natural gas for Japan traded below $6 per million Btu as of Sept. 30 and the U.K. NBP benchmark is trading at about $6. Neither region has seen $20 LNG prices in the last decade, according to Bloomberg Intelligence data.

Operating conditions on the six-state grid managed by ISO New England Inc. are already “precarious” during winter periods and beyond 2019 “may become unsustainable” in extreme cold conditions, Chief Executive Officer Gordon van Welie said in late September. The grid started a winter reliability program compensating generators for stockpiling fuel oil and LNG....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: World’s Priciest Gas Is Bound for One U.S. Region This Winter
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 11:18:51 pm »
Don't try building a pipeline, though, or someone will find a sacred chicken bone on it...

KFC: "obviously of great religious significance"...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:19:26 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 11:52:37 pm »
My time living in New England was spent reading of the NIMBY assault on gas pipeline construction, the shutting in of a new nuclear plant in New Hampshire serving Boston, and the continued evil propagated by those evil oil companies, which then proceeded to abandon that area of the country to relocate to more hospital environs, like Exxon and Mobil.

Ironic that now the largest production of gas in the US is right next to them in the Marcellus/Utica and they cannot get the gas to customers due to pipeline capacity.

The region was left hostage to the usage of fuel oil.  So let those guys enjoy their high prices.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 11:59:46 pm »
I got three cords up in one haul this year. still have another cord left from last year... total cost, around 75 bucks, seeing as I already have the truck, trailer, and saw anyway. Nat gas prices can go hang. All that keeps it here at all is that I have to get up and stoke the fire otherwise... And I have to get up and shake my bones out halfway through anyway...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 01:02:24 am »
I got three cords up in one haul this year. still have another cord left from last year... total cost, around 75 bucks, seeing as I already have the truck, trailer, and saw anyway. Nat gas prices can go hang. All that keeps it here at all is that I have to get up and stoke the fire otherwise... And I have to get up and shake my bones out halfway through anyway...
Natural gas is my main source of heat (the fireplace is a backup). But we produce more gas here than we can use and we're on the fat end of the bottleneck.

If people want to impose stupid policy, they can pay for it.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 01:47:49 am »

That's right.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 01:48:45 am »
World?!?! I'm skeptical of that claim.

I was getting pushed into converting to gas, here in suburban Boston, pretty heavily around 4 years ago, when oil was through the roof. I was telling people that oil may be cheap again and gas expensive and was laughed at.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 08:15:23 am »

I was getting pushed into converting to gas, here in suburban Boston, pretty heavily around 4 years ago, when oil was through the roof. I was telling people that oil may be cheap again and gas expensive and was laughed at.
the markets vary. Gas would have remained cheap in that market had the coal fired power plants not been shut down. Changing fuels for electrical generation created a new demand for natural gas, and lots of it, and that was driven by a combination of regulation (EPA Stack emissions, et. al.) and the availability of the fuel due to horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing of unconventional reservoirs, including shale.

Ironically, the states which have banned hydraulic fracturing, like New York, will rely on the electricity generated by gas produced by that process. This is, IMHO, some of the most serious NIMBYism on the planet, but to add to that problem, there are large reaches of the upper Midwest (Northern Plains) which rely on Natural Gas as a heating fuel.

If the New York and other folks would stay the hell home and not invade other back yards to protest everything from hydraulic fracturing to pipelines, we'd all be warmer cheaper, but they aren't content to wreck policy in their back yard, they want to foul it up elsewhere as well. Schadenfreude? Yes, and although I hate to see people get hurt, stupidity should be painful enough to deter the practice, and to get others to discourage it in policy making.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 08:16:32 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 10:18:23 am »
Natural gas is my main source of heat (the fireplace is a backup). But we produce more gas here than we can use and we're on the fat end of the bottleneck.

I'm heating with Anthracite Coal  and wood , back up is oil . A pipeline just lost a fight here. The oil and gas industry should shut off the spigot to new england for a couple of months . call it an attention getter.

geronl

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 10:42:28 am »

Texas winters are pretty short and normally mild, we usually just dust off a space heater for a few weeks

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 10:43:32 am »
I don't know much about heating gas- but it's Friday, and I thought maybe to lighten the mood before the weekend and the clocks going ahead and all the people in my state yelling that gas tax went up 23 cents this week- how about a little classical gas?

http://youtu.be/-5j1Mv7IvPA

As for me, in the winter, I have the thermostat at about 64-66 and put on sweaters. Saves money. I like the cold, can't stand hot. At night I drop it down to 60 or 58. I sometimes think I'd thrive in Antarctica.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 10:47:27 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 12:58:31 pm »

Key words:

may surge to

In other words, it isn't expected to, and even if it does, it will be brief, like a week or so.

The average price for the heating season will remain significantly cheaper for gas over oil.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 01:33:45 pm »
Texas winters are pretty short and normally mild, we usually just dust off a space heater for a few weeks
Ours tend to be the opposite, here in North Dakota. Thankfully, this winter has been mild so far.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 01:44:32 pm »
I don't know much about heating gas- but it's Friday, and I thought maybe to lighten the mood before the weekend and the clocks going ahead and all the people in my state yelling that gas tax went up 23 cents this week- how about a little classical gas?

http://youtu.be/-5j1Mv7IvPA

As for me, in the winter, I have the thermostat at about 64-66 and put on sweaters. Saves money. I like the cold, can't stand hot. At night I drop it down to 60 or 58. I sometimes think I'd thrive in Antarctica.
Mid 60s is shirtsleeves for me, as a rule, and I grew up in hotter, but like that just fine. Outside working I like mid to upper 50s for comfort, if the wind is light and it's dry out.

Antarctica just might be a tad extreme. I have been out in 60 below weather with a -146 wind chill and that is a whole 'nother critter. That only lasted a couple of days and my forays outside were only 10-20 minutes duration (mostly to heat the propane tank), but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. In Antarctica, that would be a more normal temp. That 100 degrees makes a big difference. When you have to wear so many clothes to protect you that you can't move, It's time to stay inside.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 01:50:09 pm »
Don't try building a pipeline, though, or someone will find a sacred chicken bone on it...

KFC: "obviously of great religious significance"...
:silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 01:54:04 pm »

Boston's main source of natural gas is Distrigas's Northeast Gateway LNG regasification terminal located in Everett, MA, which has been in business since 1971 .  It was recently pushing for its largest LNG contract, a ten year one.  Likely why it was looking to get some more customers.  Probably also viewed pipelines from Marcellus as a threat as well.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 02:41:52 pm »
The average price for the heating season will remain significantly cheaper for gas over oil.

Here in Boston?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2016, 11:32:15 pm »

You are a RARE woman. I generally like 65-70 in the winter time - If you are accustomed to being out in it, any more than that is oven hot. And my bedroom is almost always cold - there isn't anything better than a big ol' pile of blankets on the bed (the weight of it)... all cuddled up warm and toasty, with crisp, cold air in your nose... I'd have that all the time if I could swing it.

My ex set the thermostat around 80-85m and wondered why I didn't like to come home. That's way too hot for me.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 11:39:30 pm »
Ours tend to be the opposite, here in North Dakota. Thankfully, this winter has been mild so far.

I've been in Nodak with a screamin' north by northeaster... Total white-out... not that it mattered with the cold so bad that the defrosters couldn't keep up. Similar to the east side of the hump here. A bitter, bitter place to be in the winter time.

We get it here - maybe even more snow... But it doesn't stay that way. Usually big snow Nov/Dec, below-zero to way-below-zero in Jan/early Feb (crisp and too cold for snow), and then breakup usually starts late Feb/March... After that, can be a lot of snow, but it ain't staying so much anymore, and there will be cold, but lots of 40/50's too...

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2016, 01:20:11 am »
You are a RARE woman. I generally like 65-70 in the winter time - If you are accustomed to being out in it, any more than that is oven hot. And my bedroom is almost always cold - there isn't anything better than a big ol' pile of blankets on the bed (the weight of it)... all cuddled up warm and toasty, with crisp, cold air in your nose... I'd have that all the time if I could swing it.

My ex set the thermostat around 80-85m and wondered why I didn't like to come home. That's way too hot for me.

I can't sleep unless I got blankets on the bed. In the winter I even put on the flannel sheets. :)

If I want 85 I will go to a sauna.
@roamer_1
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 01:21:10 am by Freya »

Offline thackney

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2016, 01:32:49 am »
I can't sleep unless I got blankets on the bed. In the winter I even put on the flannel sheets. :)

If I want 85 I will go to a sauna.

You'd like it up here, especially in the summer... No matter how hot it gets, nights are in the low 50's and high 40's

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2016, 05:54:22 pm »
You'd like it up here, especially in the summer... No matter how hot it gets, nights are in the low 50's and high 40's

I am bound to where I am because of my mom. When she's gone I do want to move to a Red State.