Poll

Should the Electoral College be replaced by popular vote in Presidential Elections?

No. Keep the Electoral College and leave the current system as it is.
32 (74.4%)
No. Keep the Electoral College but force all states to distribute their votes proportionally among the candidates.
11 (25.6%)
Yes. The Presidential election should be decided by popular vote. The Electoral College should be disbanded.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: November 09, 2016, 03:51:15 pm

Author Topic: Poll: Should the Electoral College be replaced by popular vote in Presidential Elections? (members only)  (Read 9348 times)

Offline HootOwl

I'm for awarding of electors by congressional district also.
Had this been in effect in 1960, Nixon would have ben elected President.  A state that wanted to, can appropriate its electors however it sees fit(e.g. Maine).

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Can a state bind its electors according to the results of a vote in another state? 

Let's say Arizona casts more votes for candidate X than for candidate Y.   California votes Y over X instead.  Can AZ assign their electoral votes to candidate Y instead of X because of the way the vote went in CA?

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that the Arizona legislature could choose electors based on California's vote if it wanted to, providing that it hadn't held a vote among its own citizens for electors.  If it had held such a vote, it would be subject to all sorts of federal lawsuits if it threw out the results of that vote and decided to award the electors on some other criterion.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
My guess (and it's just a guess) is that the Arizona legislature could choose electors based on California's vote if it wanted to, providing that it hadn't held a vote among its own citizens for electors.  If it had held such a vote, it would be subject to all sorts of federal lawsuits if it threw out the results of that vote and decided to award the electors on some other criterion.
I agree with that, especially the bold part, 110%.  And, I don't envision a state legislature voting for such a scheme.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Had this been in effect in 1960, Nixon would have ben elected President.  A state that wanted to, can appropriate its electors however it sees fit(e.g. Maine).
Interesting.  Is there a study?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Ummm...no.

It's there for a reason.

Unless of course you want to give up hope of seeing a Republican in the Oval Office again.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
That the EC elects Presidents is a huge non-issue.

Since 1876 it has happened ONCE, one single time, that a President has won the EC and lost the popular vote. One single time!

If you're running for office you better go for the popular vote because you are basically extremely unlikely to win the President and lose the popular vote.

Remember that BC won twice without winning the majority popular vote and I didn't see any liberals complaining then.

Democrats loose an election and all of a sudden we need to change our election process?

NO!  Its that way for a reason.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.