Author Topic: It’s Not Airbnb’s Job To Check Me For Bigotry  (Read 636 times)

Offline mountaineer

It’s Not Airbnb’s Job To Check Me For Bigotry
« on: November 02, 2016, 11:54:26 am »

In a supremely arrogant act of needless virtue-signaling, the short-term-rental website has banned people with religiously or scientifically informed views about human sexuality.
By Joy Pullmann
November 2, 2016
More than a decade ago, a hip Californian friend told me about this sweet couch-surfing website you could use to travel the world inexpensively. It eventually morphed into Airbnb (then “airbedandbreakfast.com”), which I came to prefer over booking hotels when I travel (which is regularly).

For one thing, I liked the atmosphere of a home over that of a hotel. Hotels are sterile, anonymous, isolated, and boring. They are also more expensive and somehow rarely near a nice sidewalk that takes you to an interesting little street. I also like to have a kitchen available, because I hate travel food. I have had so many good experiences meeting new and very different people as my Airbnb hosts that my husband and I have even discussed listing our own guest room just as a social experiment, to meet even more people from around the country and globe.

Well, not any more. In a supremely arrogant act of needless virtue-signaling, the short-term-rental website has banned people with either religiously or scientifically informed views about human sexuality (or both). Sunday—a day of worship, of course—it informed me that to continue using their services I would have to sign their religious creed:
Read the rest of the article at The Federalist.

Incredible. We were contemplating using airbnb for a week-long trip sometime next year, but now it appears we violate their "standards" of decency and tolerance.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Idiot

Re: It’s Not Airbnb’s Job To Check Me For Bigotry
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 01:41:15 pm »

In a supremely arrogant act of needless virtue-signaling, the short-term-rental website has banned people with religiously or scientifically informed views about human sexuality.
By Joy Pullmann
November 2, 2016Read the rest of the article at The Federalist.

Incredible. We were contemplating using airbnb for a week-long trip sometime next year, but now it appears we violate their "standards" of decency and tolerance.

I got an email from them the other day to "accept their new standards"...which I rejected and cancelled my account.  I refuse to abide by such nonsense. 
@mountaineer
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 01:41:47 pm by mrpotatohead »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 02:22:40 pm »
Isn't it funny how liberals hate people with traditional religious values, while every day they dive deeper into social and moral issues with complete hypocrisy?

They can hide behind fairness, tolerance, and equality all they want, but basically they just don't like the competition to their New Left Religion that they want to force on you.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 02:28:44 pm »
I got an email from them the other day to "accept their new standards"...which I rejected and cancelled my account.  I refuse to abide by such nonsense. 
@mountaineer

I imagine a lot of people will do the same. This thing is in it's infancy and folks are not totally sold on it.

Offline chae

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 02:37:55 pm »
My one question is does this mean that they will stop doing business in the Middle East with countries such as Saudi Arabia?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 02:41:02 pm »
"Tolerance" increasingly is a one-way street, it seems.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 02:47:43 pm »
Maybe this is a legal thing? No idea.  :shrug:

HonestJohn

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 11:53:41 pm »
If Airbnb wants to attract the business of Federal organizations and the business of those companies that *DO* do business with the Federal government, then they have to abide by the Civil Service Reform Act of 1978 prohibiting sexual orientation discrimination.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 12:59:51 am »
Maybe this is a legal thing? No idea.  :shrug:
There are advocacy groups breathing down Airbnb's neck right now.

New York has pretty much banned listing apartments on Airbnb, calling them "illegal hotels." There's an ad campaign alleging black people are getting discriminated against. (Which raises questions on how this consistently seems to supposedly happen despite the increasingly progressive direction our culture is taking.) That's how this community agreement came about.

This is just another assault on cultural conservatives' ability to make a living, just as the lawsuits and the prosecutions of the bakers and florists.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 02:14:44 am »
mountaineer wrote:
"Tolerance" increasingly is a one-way street, it seems.

Increasingly?

It always has been, insofar as the left is concerned.

"Tolerance" = white Christians knuckling under to the demands of everyone else.

geronl

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 05:00:38 am »
We can't force them to bake us a cake. So much for equality