Author Topic: Microsoft stops sales of Windows 7 Professional to OEMs; Sticks a Fork in the World's Most Popular Operating System  (Read 7715 times)

Offline Just_Victor

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
One day everything old will be new again and they'll return to an XP type system.   Everyone liked that.
I have 7 machines running Win XP, still prefer it, and have a couple of unopened copies. Problem is, when I installed it on a machine with no OS (of the right vintage) the servers which authenticated the OS are no longer up and running. Anyone know a way to get around that?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

I don't get anyone that says Windows 10 is worse than Windows 7. It is faster and as stable (make sure you are running the anniversary edition). I suspect its primarily people "upgrading" old hardware without doing the clean install.

I've been using Ubuntu for my Linux installs usually, but I just put Mint on my old PC. Not sure how I feel yet. Definitely not as good a support forum for Mint. I guess its mostly the same as Ubuntu, so mostly answers there should work on Mint, but it is not clear to me what the actual differences are. OTOH, I've been unable to get tightvnc client on Windows to connect to the Mint desktop, nor can I get RDP to work after installing xrdp. Never had these issues with Ubuntu.

It took me a while to get xrdp working on the Linux I have running as my diy home server.  Unfortunately it's been a while since I set it up so I don't quite remember what the problems were.

Oceander

@Scutter

You're with MS aren't you?  Could we start an MS windows thread where we could ask you occasional windows specific questions?

Offline montanajoe

The sweet wife told me she want's a 2 in 1 laptop for her upcoming bday. I have a Dell account with a bunch of rewards so I will use that. I have been looking at the 7000 series but they all come with Windows 10..sigh..she's young she can adapt  :laugh:

If anyone has any insights into a thousand buck Dell 2 in 1 I'd appreciate it..

Oceander

@Oceander

I'm always happy to answer questions if I can. I don't work on the Windows team, however, (I work on MS hardware) so what you'll get will be based on my knowledge, which is probably not as good as your average IT support person :)

Yes, but you're our own MS guy, so that counts for a lot!

What level of hardware do you work on?

Oceander

@Oceander

I'm always happy to answer questions if I can. I don't work on the Windows team, however, (I work on MS hardware) so what you'll get will be based on my knowledge, which is probably not as good as your average IT support person :)

@Scutter
Sorry.  Forgot to add the mention to my last post.   

Oceander

Stuff that is part of the servers in the data center.

On Microsoft's own hardware - as in, what they run their own stuff on - or on hardware that Microsoft deals with?

Offline kevindavis007

I like Windows 10.. I had some issues, but it was easy to resolve.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Oceander

I like Windows 10.. I had some issues, but it was easy to resolve.

I'm still having problems with the wireless card in my new Win10 laptop.  Win10 seems to keep losing it. 

Offline Smokin Joe

Darn, I'm way behind. I'm still trying to figure out how to install WIN XP (new, clean install) and get around the verification thing. (Those servers are no longer in operation, so it won't verify a new install). I have a couple of vintage machines and new copies of the OS, but can't get over 30 days out of the install without the verification.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Darn, I'm way behind. I'm still trying to figure out how to install WIN XP (new, clean install) and get around the verification thing. (Those servers are no longer in operation, so it won't verify a new install). I have a couple of vintage machines and new copies of the OS, but can't get over 30 days out of the install without the verification.

Try Linux Mint or Ubuntu. If the machine is at least a dual core, it'll run better off 64bit linux than it ever thought of in Windows.

But if you must insist, there is a known WGA problem if using a pre-SP2 number to activate an SP2+ installation. This has been known to those of us who slipstream updates into our installation cabs for years.
The only legit way around that problem is to select phone within activation and get a new number.

The only other thing you can do, if the phone number doesn't work, is to get a fully slip'd copy (all available updates contained within), and apply one of the WGA cracks to get it to STFU, and shut off updates.

I could help, I guess, but it would be a while. It's been a year or better since I have even installed XP, not to mention crack it for any reason.

Try a linux derivative. Once you get it, you won;t go back. The only reason I stay in Winders is because I fix them, and I have to keep up on it... Otherwise I'd have been a linux dawg a long time ago.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Try Linux Mint or Ubuntu. If the machine is at least a dual core, it'll run better off 64bit linux than it ever thought of in Windows.

But if you must insist, there is a known WGA problem if using a pre-SP2 number to activate an SP2+ installation. This has been known to those of us who slipstream updates into our installation cabs for years.
The only legit way around that problem is to select phone within activation and get a new number.

The only other thing you can do, if the phone number doesn't work, is to get a fully slip'd copy (all available updates contained within), and apply one of the WGA cracks to get it to STFU, and shut off updates.

I could help, I guess, but it would be a while. It's been a year or better since I have even installed XP, not to mention crack it for any reason.

Try a linux derivative. Once you get it, you won;t go back. The only reason I stay in Winders is because I fix them, and I have to keep up on it... Otherwise I'd have been a linux dawg a long time ago.

I've always gone back to Windows after trying Linux. Every time.

Offline roamer_1

I've always gone back to Windows after trying Linux. Every time.

I have no idea why. The only thing I have against Linux is hybrid networking - That's a serious PIA... I suppose if you're a gamer, too... But for stand alone, internet capable, document capable, normal joe-user stuff, Linux works great! I have old ladies using it... If they can use it, you can too

Offline Smokin Joe

Well, the reason is simple. If I go back to doing wellsite work (which is a possibility, and something I think I can do another 4-5 years of before I limp away), I can save about 12 grand coming out of the gate by being able to run the older setup and an older version of the proprietary software I need to generate the well logs. Other files I have figured out how to make, and that includes raster files and .las data files, which are the main report formats people want (and .pdf). If I do that, I'll be able to afford the sort of printer I need to save another grundle of money, but even more important, time.

Would I be able to run XP (or, for that matter, WIN 98SE) based programs in Linux? Are there windows emulators which will permit that, or am I going to need more horsepower than the single core 1,7 Ghz processors with 2GB of RAM (Maxed out)?

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

More, on what I have: They are SP3 versions, updates included, and the problem is that when I go to verify the windows copy as being genuine, the servers that did that aren't there any more, so I can't verify the copy. It poops after 30 days, according to what the screen said. At that point, I suspended operations on those, but I have some time and would like to use the hardware rather than scrap it.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Would I be able to run XP (or, for that matter, WIN 98SE) based programs in Linux? Are there windows emulators which will permit that, or am I going to need more horsepower than the single core 1,7 Ghz processors with 2GB of RAM (Maxed out)?

Nope. WINE is onboard (or available for) any 'nix, and does alright... but no guarantees.

But then, Vista era and early Win7 era machines are all over the place used... The one that runs my tv is a high end vista box - i GOT THAT ONE FOR 25 BUCKS. Runs like a raped ape.

So maybe worrying about keeping your hardware ain't all that...

What software are you so intent on running that it's keeping you down? some CAD or adobe stuff?

• Technical
I have no idea why. The only thing I have against Linux is hybrid networking - That's a serious PIA... I suppose if you're a gamer, too... But for stand alone, internet capable, document capable, normal joe-user stuff, Linux works great! I have old ladies using it... If they can use it, you can too

Mostly driver issues and bugs. Ubuntu desktop is decent. I didn't have a good experience with mint at all.

I use Linux servers at work as a system administrator.

Offline roamer_1

More, on what I have: They are SP3 versions, updates included, and the problem is that when I go to verify the windows copy as being genuine, the servers that did that aren't there any more, so I can't verify the copy. It poops after 30 days, according to what the screen said. At that point, I suspended operations on those, but I have some time and would like to use the hardware rather than scrap it.

Did you try the phone option inside of "Activate' ?

Offline roamer_1

Mostly driver issues and bugs. Ubuntu desktop is decent. I didn't have a good experience with mint at all.

I use Linux servers at work as a system administrator.

Huh. Dunno. Normally Mint goes anywhere Ubuntu does... I have no problems other than maybe USB WIFI stuff...

• Technical
Huh. Dunno. Normally Mint goes anywhere Ubuntu does... I have no problems other than maybe USB WIFI stuff...

Bluetooth audio was something I had a problem with, also every Linux I've used can't even do sleep properly.

Offline roamer_1

Bluetooth audio was something I had a problem with, also every Linux I've used can't even do sleep properly.

LOL! Now that's funny. All my Windows boxen are set to 'Always On' for wont of waking up out of sleep. Windows is notorious for locking up in sleep for me.

Offline Smokin Joe

Nope. WINE is onboard (or available for) any 'nix, and does alright... but no guarantees.

But then, Vista era and early Win7 era machines are all over the place used... The one that runs my tv is a high end vista box - i GOT THAT ONE FOR 25 BUCKS. Runs like a raped ape.

So maybe worrying about keeping your hardware ain't all that...

What software are you so intent on running that it's keeping you down? some CAD or adobe stuff?
It is a specialized geological well log generating program. This one will run up to XP, after that I have to have a new version, which means the whole shooting match must be upgraded. When I bought the version I use, you paid for it once. Now they sell you the version, rent the software key on a monthly basis, too. It isn't cheap (about 12K). If/wen I go back to wellsite, it will be like starting from scratch, economically, so I won't have those funds in hand without some heavy borrowing for equipment and expenses, and I'm trying to keep that to a minimum. In six months or so of operations, upgrades would be more affordable..

C S Lewis

• Technical
LOL! Now that's funny. All my Windows boxen are set to 'Always On' for wont of waking up out of sleep. Windows is notorious for locking up in sleep for me.

Hasn't happened to me since windows 98.

Offline roamer_1

It is a specialized geological well log generating program. This one will run up to XP, after that I have to have a new version, which means the whole shooting match must be upgraded. When I bought the version I use, you paid for it once. Now they sell you the version, rent the software key on a monthly basis, too. It isn't cheap (about 12K). If/wen I go back to wellsite, it will be like starting from scratch, economically, so I won't have those funds in hand without some heavy borrowing for equipment and expenses, and I'm trying to keep that to a minimum. In six months or so of operations, upgrades would be more affordable..

You have to have Win7Pro to do it, but have you tried installing in XP compat mode?

Just spitballing.

I can get XP to play nice, but I don't know about legality - if it is now 'abandonware' then Yohoho and a bottle of rum!  :shrug:

But it'll take me a bit to load up a test machine... so nothing right off the bat...

Try the phone number route.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 01:15:17 am by roamer_1 »