Author Topic: Why Men Are Remaining Single  (Read 19228 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Why Men Are Remaining Single
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2016, 09:47:18 pm »
That just seems like a recipe for complacency.

There are already at least three people on this thread who are over 40 and are still single, which tells me that none of this is sure to work. That's not acceptable to me. I didn't even want to be still single at 28 for my high school reunion. The cruel joke turned out to be that we ended up not having a high school reunion that year. That's not what I meant.

My parents were in their early 20s when they married. This is extremely discouraging. I'm already too old for this.

Just curious - what is so bad about being single?

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2016, 09:49:17 pm »
But you are Sam Elliott, right?
Nope, I only have the voice. Listen...

Beef it's what's for dinner.

See.  :beer:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Bunny Watson

« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2016, 09:57:15 pm »

I'm convinced!

Wingnut

« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2016, 10:27:55 pm »

I don't know.  Sounded more like Robert Mitchum to me?

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2016, 10:49:02 pm »
Just curious - what is so bad about being single?
To tell the truth, there's nothing inherently bad about being single—other than what I mentioned before about not being able to have a family and the whole issue of economics of scale; a couple sharing an apartment can split the rent check, for example—but it's more personal. In case you couldn't tell, I've struggled in this department for as long as I've been interested in girls (and this goes back to middle school). This is kind of embarrassing, but I've never even been on a date, let alone had a real girlfriend. It's more this nagging sense of inferiority and embarrassment, this feeling like I haven't been able to achieve something I should have achieved by now.

I was always a pretty high achiever as a kid; not valedictorian or anything like that, but when I put effort into something I wanted, I almost always succeeded, or at least came close. So this, coupled with my choice of career not working out and my frustrations trying to get a driver's license (it took me eight years and four tries, and I only got that earlier this year), is kind of overwhelming to me.

That, and as you can tell, I get emotional sometimes. I've listened to a lot of music, and perhaps that gave me unrealistic expectations that the man eventually finds someone who is able to put up with his ups and downs. That, and I've always been somewhat introverted; I've always kind of wanted that kind of close personal bond with one person where I could just be myself.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:51:00 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online roamer_1

« Reply #130 on: November 02, 2016, 10:57:06 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWpYQjuJ0u0

The sad thing, is that I literally need someone to "put another log on the fire"... while I am at work... or especially while deployed to the field for a week at a time in the middle of winter.  The old HotBlast furnace [edit] and three cats[/edit] is the only heat I have.

It ain't like all that... More like finding one that don't mind putting another log on the fire... One that likes to cook and keep a house... likes to do what women do. Knows how to sew... knows how to can... Can keep a pantry and a kitchen.

It's funny... I have a tendency to watch cooking shows on YouTube... I'm a pretty good cook at what I know, but I need more than a few recipes to add variety... But anyway, watch the difference in the demeanor of the women in Southern cooking shows, as compared to others, and you'll get an idea of what I mean. It's about family, and kids, and company, to be sure, but it's also about doing it how their man likes it... Keeping their man happy... A concept wholly absent from other shows.

Now, I don't need a woman to be happy. But if I am to forsake the considerable peace I now enjoy, in order to acquire another one, I would prefer one with the options package one would expect to find in a woman...

That she can 'compete in a man's world' is not an option I would be interested in or even care about. I can do that for myself. If I can give her a house, and she can make it a home... Now that's another thing all together... And that particular mindset is a priceless thing, and a very hard thing to find.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #131 on: November 02, 2016, 11:04:21 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NF5XU-k2Vk

There's more than a little truth in that song... Except in how one measures beauty... The normal sense of the word, in a common definition today is pretty high maintenance, and requires an extra big load of vanity. Vanity is a strange thing... Every woman needs it, to a degree, but too much defeats the purpose.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #132 on: November 02, 2016, 11:21:06 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWpYQjuJ0u0
I see you that and raise you this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OFc4HcYqQc

As written by the great (and fortunately not late) Kinky Friedman.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline rodamala

« Reply #133 on: November 02, 2016, 11:46:39 pm »
It ain't like all that... More like finding one that don't mind putting another log on the fire... One that likes to cook and keep a house... likes to do what women do. Knows how to sew... knows how to can... Can keep a pantry and a kitchen.

It's funny... I have a tendency to watch cooking shows on YouTube... I'm a pretty good cook at what I know, but I need more than a few recipes to add variety... But anyway, watch the difference in the demeanor of the women in Southern cooking shows, as compared to others, and you'll get an idea of what I mean. It's about family, and kids, and company, to be sure, but it's also about doing it how their man likes it... Keeping their man happy... A concept wholly absent from other shows.

Now, I don't need a woman to be happy. But if I am to forsake the considerable peace I now enjoy, in order to acquire another one, I would prefer one with the options package one would expect to find in a woman...

That she can 'compete in a man's world' is not an option I would be interested in or even care about. I can do that for myself. If I can give her a house, and she can make it a home... Now that's another thing all together... And that particular mindset is a priceless thing, and a very hard thing to find.

@roamer_1

I have a dear friend that is that woman you describe... cooking and canning and housekeeping... and rearing babies... yup... not on the market.

Youtube cooking channels... you may enjoy "Linda's Pantry"... one of few channels I subscribe to.  Lots of canning/gardening/Dutch oven cooking... good stuff.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:47:17 pm by rodamala »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2016, 11:54:43 pm »
To tell the truth, there's nothing inherently bad about being single—other than what I mentioned before about not being able to have a family and the whole issue of economics of scale; a couple sharing an apartment can split the rent check, for example—but it's more personal. In case you couldn't tell, I've struggled in this department for as long as I've been interested in girls (and this goes back to middle school). This is kind of embarrassing, but I've never even been on a date, let alone had a real girlfriend. It's more this nagging sense of inferiority and embarrassment, this feeling like I haven't been able to achieve something I should have achieved by now.

I was always a pretty high achiever as a kid; not valedictorian or anything like that, but when I put effort into something I wanted, I almost always succeeded, or at least came close. So this, coupled with my choice of career not working out and my frustrations trying to get a driver's license (it took me eight years and four tries, and I only got that earlier this year), is kind of overwhelming to me.

That, and as you can tell, I get emotional sometimes. I've listened to a lot of music, and perhaps that gave me unrealistic expectations that the man eventually finds someone who is able to put up with his ups and downs. That, and I've always been somewhat introverted; I've always kind of wanted that kind of close personal bond with one person where I could just be myself.

It'll happen when you least expect it. Trust me on that one.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline LMAO

« Reply #135 on: November 02, 2016, 11:56:38 pm »
But you are Sam Elliott, right?

I'm not Gene Simmons, BTW
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Bunny Watson

« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2016, 11:57:31 pm »
@roamer_1

I have a dear friend that is that woman you describe... cooking and canning and housekeeping... and rearing babies... yup... not on the market.

Youtube cooking channels... you may enjoy "Linda's Pantry"... one of few channels I subscribe to.  Lots of canning/gardening/Dutch oven cooking... good stuff.

And thus my final problem. :) Finding a 40-something conservative man who doesn't want a stay at home housewife. Look, mr. 48-year-old: if you don't have kids yet at your age, you're not getting them from me. That ship has sailed. And I like my career, and I'm set in my ways. This woman apparently doesn't do "what women do" and her dad never taught her to settle for that. Why are there no politically conservative men who want a successful, career woman?

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2016, 12:01:19 am »
What's the point in getting married without kids?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2016, 12:02:14 am »
J, you might find some helpful info about dating from a Christian perspective at this website.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bunny Watson

« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2016, 12:13:28 am »

If I'd gotten married at 30, I'd agree, perhaps. But at 40, if I were looking, which I'm not, I'd be looking for a fellow companion with whom I could share the rest of my life. Someone to share the burdens and joys of life with. You know, a partner.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2016, 12:16:36 am »
If I'd gotten married at 30, I'd agree, perhaps. But at 40, if I were looking, which I'm not, I'd be looking for a fellow companion with whom I could share the rest of my life. Someone to share the burdens and joys of life with. You know, a partner.
I was a month shy of 40 when we got married and he's older than I, and children were not to be. I'm glad for the companion/partner aspect of it, though, all these years later.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2016, 12:16:47 am »

Why do you need marriage for that?

Offline Bunny Watson

« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2016, 12:19:21 am »

See mountaineer's post for the ideal. Personally, as I said above, I'm not really looking anymore. I'm too much the curmudgeon.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 12:20:03 am by Bunny Watson »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2016, 12:21:58 am »

I know. You need someone to yell at other than your wife.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2016, 12:25:21 am »
I suppose you could just get a pet. Or four.  888catbed   :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 12:34:04 am by mountaineer »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2016, 12:28:10 am »

This is good.  Says a lot about you.  I already knew you were ethical, smart, informed, well-read and able to stand up for yourself, but I wasn't sure how introspective you were on this subject.  One of my favorite songs has the lines: "There is no greater danger than trying to find yourself, because there is no stranger stranger than a man is to himself".  Not usually a fun thing.

So, bottom line, I got nothing.  Nothing to add to the heart-felt and thoughtful input that so many of your fellow posters have already said.  I'll pray for you to have patience.  (I don't have any to spare; one of my failings.)

Wingnut

« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2016, 12:29:29 am »
I know. You need someone to yell at other than your wife.
g

And to get beer from the fridge.....

Online roamer_1

« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2016, 12:35:14 am »

It is an amazement to me how many women are divorcee and on the market in the 45-55 range. I think a lot of them got divorced early on and went without for the sake of not bringing another man in on their kids.. Now that the kids are all grown up, they've got their motor runnin'.  If I was of a mind, I would have more action right now, all gimped up and out of shape as I am... And I haven't shaved in 10 years... But more action than I ever had as a kid...

Now, I might be a fairly randy sort, but I ain't after all that... A bunch of old grammas all running around to bars like they was a 20 year old hoochie-mamma. It just ain't right. How do you explain that to the grand-kids? And I'm too old for all that nonsense anyway. Haven't been in a bar in 25 years, and I ain't been on the hustle for at least 25.

Every now and then one comes along that just comes up beside you and starts living life - Much more my style.

Thanks, I'll check it out. You've got to check out Ammohead73. He's a laugh-riot, and more like me than I'd care to admit.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2016, 05:30:21 am »
Why are there no politically conservative men who want a successful, career woman?

@Bunny Watson

There are... they are called "Stay at home Dads".  Both my brother and a friend married women that have rather  high paying "breadwinner" salaries... yet those women wanted kids... so the men stay at home and eat bonbons and watch soaps all day.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 05:31:40 am by rodamala »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2016, 05:37:18 am »
Why are there no politically conservative men who want a successful, career woman?

LOL. There are plenty. I am one and quite a few of my friends and associates are married to "Career Women". We're all fairly right wing.