Author Topic: Protectionist trade policies would damage economy, cost jobs: report  (Read 1028 times)

Offline sinkspur

Re: Protectionist trade policies would damage economy, cost jobs: report
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 01:30:43 am »
US manufacturers  hit a record $2.4T in output in 2015 (2nd in world), will be most competitive by 2020. 

US exports hit a record $2.5 trillion in 2015.

Trump wants to kill all that with his ridiculous trade policies.  THAT is reason enough for him to be defeated.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 01:34:07 am »
US manufacturers  hit a record $2.4T in output in 2015 (2nd in world), will be most competitive by 2020. 

US exports hit a record $2.5 trillion in 2015.

Trump wants to kill all that with his ridiculous trade policies.  THAT is reason enough for him to be defeated.

Yeah I agree.

Plus the jobs report comes out on Friday. I would predict anything over 100,000 would hurt his chances on Tuesday.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 01:37:15 am »
I don't doubt this. 

I also have little doubt that BOTH Trump and Hillary are liars when it comes to their trade policies.  They both know full well that free trade has made the American economy more robust than any other economy in the world, and that, thanks to globalism and our lead in it, we have the greatest standard of living in history.

It's just that politicians need a scapegoat for those who are left in the cold by technology and globalization, so they bash trade deals.  Globalization and technology are both forces so irrepressible that no government can reverse them, so I am not worried.  I am concerned that my party's grassroots voters now seem to embrace protectionism.  Big mistake.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 01:38:49 am »
Protectionist trade policies would damage economy, cost jobs

Only a complete fool would suggest otherwise.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 01:41:07 am »
I don't doubt this. 

I also have little doubt that BOTH Trump and Hillary are liars when it comes to their trade policies.  They both know full well that free trade has made the American economy more robust than any other economy in the world, and that, thanks to globalism and our lead in it, we have the greatest standard of living in history.

It's just that politicians need a scapegoat for those who are left in the cold by technology and globalization, so they bash trade deals.  Globalization and technology are both forces so irrepressible that no government can reverse them, so I am not worried.  I am concerned that my party's grassroots voters now seem to embrace protectionism.  Big mistake.

To play devil's advocate, I have heard from more thoughtful Trump supporters that he isn't a protectionist but he will "renegotiate" trade deals.  :shrug:

But to me that's probably enough to spook the entire world economy into recession.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 01:59:59 am »

To play devil's advocate, I have heard from more thoughtful Trump supporters that he isn't a protectionist but he will "renegotiate" trade deals. 

OK, with NAFTA, trade barriers for selling goods to Mexico have been removed, resulting in a five-fold increase of exports to Mexico.  How in the heck are you going to renegotiate that?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 02:05:51 am »
OK, with NAFTA, trade barriers for selling goods to Mexico have been removed, resulting in a five-fold increase of exports to Mexico.  How in the heck are you going to renegotiate that?

No idea. The more I think about Trump, the more nervous I get.  **nononono*

Offline LMAO

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 02:12:00 am »
I've always maintained that, despite their rhetoric, neither Trump or Clinton will change any trade deals. The reasons are what @massadvj has listed.

Neither one wants to do anything deliberately that will negatively affect an already sluggish economy on their watch
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy