Author Topic: Demonstration Tactics Increasingly Divide Dakota Access Pipeline Protesters  (Read 4093 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — Protesters at the demonstration against the Dakota Access pipeline are increasingly divided over how to stop the project, with militant younger activists seeking more aggressive tactics and an older crowd arguing for peaceful protest centered on prayer.

The differences came to a head last week after law enforcement officers in riot gear forced hundreds of protesters off an encampment on private property. In response, some demonstrators torched three vehicles on a bridge, creating a blockade that effectively cut off easy access to the pipeline construction zone and made it far harder for the Standing Rock Sioux tribe and nearby residents to get to Bismarck for errands and medical appointments.

Many other protesters insist that their cause cannot resort to law breaking, and they support the threat of eviction that the main camp has issued against people who would cause problems.

"We don't want people instigating things that are going to get out of hand. We don't need them," said Don Cuny, chief of security for the large camp near the confluence of the Missouri and Cannonball rivers.

With the potential for more violence, tribal elders have asked that children be removed from the camp.

"They want the kids out of here if things get ugly," said Emmett White Temple, a 55-year-old member of the Standing Rock Sioux...

Read more at: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/tactics-protestors-dakota-access-pipeline
The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Protesters are urging Facebook users to create digital smokescreens in an attempt to thwart police raids at campsites near the Dakota oil pipeline.

The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe is calling upon its Facebook followers to check in at the Standing Rock Indian reservation’s social media page. Activists from around the country can help stymie local law enforcement’s ability to break up protesters and occupiers assembling to block the pipeline.

“The Morton County Sheriff’s Department has been using Facebook check-ins to find out who is at Standing Rock in order to target them in attempts to disrupt the prayer camps,” activists with the American Indian group wrote on Facebook Tuesday. “So water protectors are calling on everyone to check in at Standing Rock, North Dakota, to overwhelm and confuse them.”...

Read more at: http://dailycaller.com/2016/11/01/dakota-protesters-use-social-media-to-confuse-police-crackdown-efforts/
The Republic is lost.

Offline dfwgator

I see a lot of my FB friends supporting this occupation. 

Offline thackney

I cannot imagine anyone I consider a friend supporting this mess.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I cannot imagine anyone I consider a friend supporting this mess.
I can't imagine "friending" strangers on some internet site, that word has a very different meaning to me than most, apparently.

Offline mountaineer

Video Appears to Show #NoDAPL Protesters Hurling Explosive at Law Enforcement
Rob Port
Nov. 2, 2016

In the wake of last week’s #NoDAPL riot many of the protesters and their sympathizers claimed that the “militarized” response from law enforcement was unwarranted. They showed pictures of police officers wearing riot gear and driving armored vehicles while working to remove protesters from a public highway they blocked, and private land they were trespassing on, and argued that the response was excessive.

Law enforcement, meanwhile, argued that the heavy equipment was warranted because protesters were throwing rocks and homemade explosives at them.

I can now, by way of a request made to the North Dakota Highway Patrol, put some evidence behind that latter claim made by law enforcement. This video is from last Thursday night – October 27 – taken from an aircraft which was monitoring a standoff between police and protesters blocking what’s called the Backwater Bridge.

In it you can clearly see a flaming object thrown from the protest side of the standoff toward law enforcement, exploding in a bright flash of light once it lands:

Link to article and video

I have been critical of law enforcement becoming too militarized. I have harped on law enforcement in this state for using rhetoric about “warrior cops” which I find too confrontational. After all, if cops are “warriors,” who are they at war with? The rest of the public?

But sometimes cops go into dangerous situations, and sometimes those situations warrant heavy-duty, “militarized” gear so the cops can be safe (or, at least, safer) and do their jobs effectively.

Put simply, it’s hard to argue against a “militarized” police response to protesters when the protesters were throwing bombs. In a literal, and not figurative, sense.

Meanwhile, the Bismarck Tribune today editorializes in favor of the police response. “Law enforcement did the right thing last week when they removed protesters from private land,” the paper writes.

“Officials gave the protesters ample warning that they were coming and they had an opportunity to withdraw, but many didn’t do so,” the editorial continues. “To the outside world it may have appeared like a military operation, but law enforcement needed to protect themselves. Overall, the operation went smoothly with no serious injuries. It’s unfortunate the situation came to this, but some of the protesters refused to back off.”

It was definitely an unfortunate situation, but the point worth remembering is that the situation was created by the protesters themselves. They could have left peacefully, with zero arrests, when asked to do so by law enforcement for days before the riot. They refused, which left the cops with no other choice.

Rob Port is the editor of SayAnythingBlog.com, a columnist for the Forum News Service, and the host of the Rob (Re)Port on Fargo-based WDAY AM970 from 1-2pm weekdays.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

A fellow named Austin Dale has been posting a bunch of pro-pipeline info on his Facebook page. Here's a sample from Sept. 7.
So I still have friends on my page liking and sharing these anti-pipeline articles and memes. If you don't pipeline for a living, and you're not from North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, or Illinois then you should really stay out of this conversation, especially if you're just going to keep sharing the same lies over and over. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this is not about opinions, it's about facts, and the facts are; the Dakota access pipeline DOES NOT cross the Standing Rock reservation, it DOES have all the necessary permits and approvals, and it is NOT disturbing any burial grounds This information is easily accessible online with a quick Google search, but I'll include a map anyway, in case you don't have time to research the lies you're sharing. And here are the links showing they have the permits, and that North Dakota's top archeologists surveyed these sites and found nothing. http://m.bismarcktribune.com/…/article_5dc1e955-fd71-5003-8…

http://m.kcci.com/…/archaeologist-no-human-remains…/41226410

And before you start in about possible water contamination, that's just another scare tactic. The Missouri river will be directionally drilled and the pipeline will have the latest technologies and monitoring systems to help prevent releases and will be constructed 90 feet below the riverbed to ensure nothing may reach the river — far above and beyond what’s required by federal regulations.

Don't be fooled, the battle right now may be against this pipeline, but the war is on oil. I know some of you hate oil (even though you consume as much as the rest of us on a daily basis) but there simply is not enough renewable energy to meet the current demand, so this oil WILL be brought to market one way or another, and the safest way is via pipeline. They have a smaller carbon footprint and are 4.5 times less likely to cause a spill than trains. It's an easy choice. So don't tell me you're against pipelines because you care about the environment, because the two ideas are contradictory.

With that being said, I will not hold back any longer, if you've got the nerve to post these lies, I will call you out on it, so you better do your research before you chime in on something that you know nothing about.

Offline rodamala

@dfwgator

Offline mountaineer

Checking the facts once again
Posted on September 7, 2016

1.CLAIM: The pipeline encroaches on indigenous lands.

TRUTH: The Dakota Access Pipeline traverses a path on private property and does not cross into the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe’s reservation. 100% of landowners in North Dakota voluntarily signed easements to allow for construction of the pipeline on their property.  Nearly the entire route of the 1,172 mile pipeline has been sited and approved by relevant state and federal agencies and more than 22% of the pipeline has already been completed. To the extent possible, the Dakota Access Pipeline was routed to parallel existing infrastructure, such as the Northern Border Pipeline, to avoid environmentally sensitive areas and areas of potential cultural significance.

2. CLAIM: The pipeline exposes the Tribe’s water supply to contamination.

TRUTH: Pipelines are – by far – the safest way to transport energy liquids and gases. Already, 8 pipelines cross the Missouri River carrying hundreds of thousands of barrels of energy products every day.  That includes the Northern Border natural gas pipeline – built in 1982 – that parallels the planned crossing for Dakota Access for 40 miles as well as high voltage transmission power lines.  Once completed, the Dakota Access Pipeline will be among the safest, most technologically advanced pipelines in the world.

In addition, the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe’s water intake is scheduled to be moved by the end by of the year.  The Missouri River intake serving the Tribe is being switched to Mobridge, South Dakota, nearly 50 miles south of the current water intake and about 70 miles south of the planned Dakota Access river crossing.

3. CLAIM: The tribal community was not part of the discussion.

TRUTH:  389 meetings took place between the U.S. Army Corps and 55 tribes about the Dakota Access project. In addition the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe met individually with the U.S. Army Corps nearly a dozen times to discuss archaeological and other surveys conducted to finalize the Dakota Access route.

Based on input from a number of sources, the pipeline route was adjusted in September 2014, to shorten the pipeline by 11 miles, avoid buildings and other structures, and cross fewer waterways and roads.

4. CLAIM: The pipeline is disrupting areas of cultural significance.

TRUTH: Safeguarding and ensuring the longevity of culturally significant artifacts and sites is of interest to all Americans.   That’s why the Dakota Access Pipeline traverses a path on private property.  And the Dakota Access Pipeline was routed to parallel existing infrastructure, such as the Northern Border Pipeline and high voltage transmission power lines.  Therefore the Dakota Access route has already been under construction twice before.  Designing the route to parallel existing infrastructure mitigates any additional impacts to the environment and avoids areas of potential cultural significance.

Additionally, on site there are professional archeologists who are able to identify and properly tend to artifacts and evidence of culturally significant sites if any not identified by the surveys are discovered.

5. CLAIM: On site protests have been peaceful.

TRUTH: Unfortunately, the emotionally charged atmosphere has led to several outbreaks of violence which has endangered the safety of the workers and the protesters themselves.  Protesters have rushed police lines, threatened and assaulted private security officers, and thrown rocks and bottles at workers.  And let’s remember, the work that is being done is in full accordance with all state and federal regulations and on private property – not on reservation land.

6. CLAIM: A young girl from the Tribe was mauled by a security dog.

TRUTH: This is a doctored photo.  The original is from a June 2012 article from the New York Daily News about a dogbite victim).

Offline Charlespg

Paid stooges of OPEC and George  Soros

make these people live at a 14th century   level  22222frying pan
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Re: Demonstration Tactics Increasingly Divide Dakota Access Pipeline Protesters
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 10:07:57 pm »
The North Dakota pillar of the National World War II Memorial has been spray-painted with anti-pipeline graffiti, prompting the state’s congressman to call for the Standing Rock Sioux tribe to denounce the vandalism.

The hashtag #NoDAPL was found written in black paint Monday below the “North Dakota” inscription on the memorial in Washington, D.C., referring to the Dakota Access pipeline project.

[excerpted]

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/nov/8/anti-pipeline-vandals-deface-wwii-memorial/
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 12:32:34 pm »
The North Dakota pillar of the National World War II Memorial has been spray-painted with anti-pipeline graffiti, prompting the state’s congressman to call for the Standing Rock Sioux tribe to denounce the vandalism.
Disgusting. Just showing their true colors.

I came across this commentary:
Another View: Protesting Dakota pipeline won’t alter energy picture
Activists ought to channel their efforts into enhancing fuel-efficiency standards and supporting a carbon tax.
The Washington Post

How did the out-of-state activists protesting the Dakota Access oil pipeline arrive at the North Dakota site? How were the sleeping bags they will use when winter arrives made and shipped to the stores where they were purchased? What are the plastics made of in the phones they have been using at Standing Rock, North Dakota?

Many things make the global economy possible, but a major one, unfortunately, continues to be oil. The world is addicted to crude because it is energy dense and easy to transport. Practically nothing modern Americans do would be possible without it. This means that demand is huge. And if there is a market, suppliers will attempt to meet that demand, in all sorts of ways. In and around North Dakota, that has meant sucking it from underground shale formations and transporting it out of the area by truck and train. Pipeline transport would make it safer.

A significant number of those protesting Dakota Access are doing so because they feel the project has infringed on the rights of local tribes. Federal courts and the Obama administration are in the process of sorting that out, though the fact that the pipeline would not be built on reservation land and follows the route of an existing gas line undercuts their case.

Even so, environmental activists have latched on to the cause. We do not fault anyone for objecting to global oil dependence. The world must burn continually less to combat climate change. But in the long term, piecemeal activism accomplishes little, because it does not shift underlying demand for fuel. As long as people demand oil, the incentive for someone, somewhere to meet that demand will compel entrepreneurial people to supply it.

The activists are right about the danger of climate change. They could make a real impact if they channeled their energy into protecting and enhancing President Obama’s fuel-efficiency standards, which will cut U.S. gasoline demand over time by forcing cars and trucks to use less oil, and enacting a carbon tax that would make alternatives to coal and oil steadily more competitive.
Rolling my eyes greatly.

debrawiest

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 12:57:55 pm »

The hashtag #NoDAPL was found written in black paint Monday below the “North Dakota” inscription on the memorial in Washington, D.C., referring to the Dakota Access pipeline project.

[excerpted]

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/nov/8/anti-pipeline-vandals-deface-wwii-memorial/

I hate this.  As a ND resident, I rarely hope for an early winter, but I find myself wishing we'd get about a foot of snow and some below-normal temps.  Sigh.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 02:51:27 am »
@Smokin Joe , when does the first hard freeze arrive to disband these nut cases?

Hippies from California will crawl back to the hot hellhole they came from.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 01:27:18 pm »
@Smokin Joe , when does the first hard freeze arrive to disband these nut cases?

Hippies from California will crawl back to the hot hellhole they came from.
Usually, first frost by mid September, and I have seen it as cold as -20 by Halloween.
This year, it has been warmer than usual, and while I am enjoying that, a cold snap would help run that bunch off.
They likely won't crawl, but fly home...or off to the next 'protest'.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:28:07 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 01:29:04 pm »

I hate this.  As a ND resident, I rarely hope for an early winter, but I find myself wishing we'd get about a foot of snow and some below-normal temps.  Sigh.
I agree. I just remember He is in control.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 04:57:54 am »
http://www.willistonherald.com/news/member-of-williams-county-law-enforcement-shares-his-perspective-as/article_41f60d94-a38b-11e6-955f-bfff18496a4b.html

Member of Williams County law enforcement shares his perspective as part of the police line in Morton County

Excerpt: (more at link above)

He was part of the police line, dressed in riot gear, that pushed protesters off Highway 1806, back to the original protest camp on  U.S. Army Corps of Engineers land last week, an effort Morton County authorities said was not intended to stop protests, but to remove them from a public roadway and from private property.

One thing he wishes people would understand is that Highway 1806 is a 65 mph highway — not a safe place to stage a protest or put up an impromptu roadblock. The day prior, police had asked protesters to move back to the land where the Corps has been allowing them to camp. That request was repeated the next day, prior to the start of the removal and throughout it.

Protesters set fire to hay bales, tires and even vehicles to slow the advancement of officers. Some protesters helped put the flames out, while others tried to keep it going.

Objects were thrown at officers as they advanced on the line that day. He wasn’t hit with anything himself, but did witness fellow officers being struck with water bottles, rocks and logs. Later in the evening, molotov cocktails were also thrown.

“That is why we have to wear the helmets,” he said. “If you didn’t have head protection, you could be seriously injured out here.”

C S Lewis

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 03:29:21 pm »
http://www.willistonherald.com/news/member-of-williams-county-law-enforcement-shares-his-perspective-as/article_41f60d94-a38b-11e6-955f-bfff18496a4b.html

Member of Williams County law enforcement shares his perspective as part of the police line in Morton County

Excerpt: (more at link above)
Time to bring out the National Guard and clear those anarchists out...enough with the coddling of these eco-terrorists.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 05:48:50 pm »
Time to bring out the National Guard and clear those anarchists out...enough with the coddling of these eco-terrorists.
What gets me is that there is a really nice beach on Lake Sakakawea not real far from here where people used to go out for the day and go swimming, take the kids, etc.
It was on Corps land and the Corps closed it to even people just going out for the day.

Yet they are letting 5000 people camp out indefinitely to protest a perfectly legal and permitted pipeline? WTF?

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 02:38:53 am »
Let's wait and see what happens after January 20th...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2016, 02:54:34 am »
Let's wait and see what happens after January 20th...
Oh, I am.

C S Lewis

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2016, 05:40:00 pm »
What gets me is that there is a really nice beach on Lake Sakakawea not real far from here where people used to go out for the day and go swimming, take the kids, etc.
It was on Corps land and the Corps closed it to even people just going out for the day.

Yet they are letting 5000 people camp out indefinitely to protest a perfectly legal and permitted pipeline? WTF?
Sounds just like what the EPA does when they invite eco-terrorists to sit down with them as they write the new environmental rules the rest of the country is going to be forced to comply without any damned oversight... :chairbang:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2016, 08:47:17 pm »
 Pipeline Protestor Sophia Wilansky Was NOT Injured By A Concussion Grenade
Posted at 12:42 pm on November 25, 2016 by Bob Owens
It’s frankly stunning that after Dakota Access Pipeline protestor Sophia Wilansky had one of her arms destroyed by an explosive device that mainstream media outlets with considerable resources—ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox News, NBC, New York Times, Washington Post, etc—didn’t immediately try to discover which side was telling the truth.

According to the Morton County Sheriff’s Officer (MCSO) and the North Dakota Highway Patrol:
“We are aware of the information about the woman on social media who has claimed she sustained injuries to her arm due to law enforcement tactics. The injuries sustained are inconsistent with any resources utilized by law enforcement and are not a direct result of any tools or weapons used by law enforcement.” – Lt. Tom Iverson, ND Highway Patrol. Below is a picture of a propane tank found on the bridge following an explosion early Monday morning. Officers witnessed protesters rolling the cylinder on the bridge, saw the explosion and then witnessed protesters running on the bridge to carry a woman from the scene.

Protesters using improvised explosive devices caused an explosion on the Backwater Bridge around 3:00 a.m. Monday morning. Law enforcement witnessed protesters rolling cylinders on the bridge and witnessed an explosion, shortly after they saw several protesters run to that area of the bridge and carried a woman off the bridge. Once the scene was clear, investigators examined the bridge and found one pound coleman propane tanks that were rigged to explode on the bridge.

There were actually several 1-pound propane canisters recovered from the site of the explosion by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF). You’ll note that the more severely damaged of the two canisters, shown in two different angles in the second and third photos above, seem to have coagulated blood and tissue upon them.

If testing does confirm that the material on the propane cylinder is blood and tissue, then there is clearly enough to get a DNA match to the person who left that genetic material behind.

While the ATF was cataloging the apparent components of a faulty improvised explosive device (IED, a kind of bomb) that domestic terrorists/protestors attempted to deploy against police lines, agents with the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force (JTTF)  went to the hospital to acquire Sophia Wilansky’s clothes, and they confiscated it into evidence.

A reasonable person would be forced to ask themselves a simple question: “Why would the FBI and ATF focus like a laser on the propane canisters and Sophia Wilansky, if there is plausible evidence that Wilansky was so grievously injured by a concussion grenade?”

The answer is glaringly obvious:  both the ATF and FBI know precisely what less-lethal crowd-control munitions MCSO and NDHP have to deploy, and these federal agencies tasked with the investigation know that nothing that law enforcement agencies have could cause plausibly cause Sophia Wilansky’s injuries.

True “concussion grenades” are incredibly rare.  ...
More - including more photos - at BearingArms

debrawiest

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2016, 08:58:14 pm »
Things are escalating quickly here.  Heck, even Hanoi Jane Fonda made an appearance. We could sure use your prayers.
The weather forecast shows possible snow next week - I think about a foot of it would help to take care of this situation.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2016, 09:17:45 pm »
Things are escalating quickly here.  Heck, even Hanoi Jane Fonda made an appearance. We could sure use your prayers.
The weather forecast shows possible snow next week - I think about a foot of it would help to take care of this situation.
Much as I dislike snow, I'll pray for it to deposit itself greatly on the "situation."  ^-^