Author Topic: Russia Has a Dead Nuclear Submarine (Armed With Nuclear Weapons) Sitting at the Bottom of the Ocean  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Russia Has a Dead Nuclear Submarine (Armed With Nuclear Weapons) Sitting at the Bottom of the Ocean
Kyle Mizokami
October 30, 2016

In the mid-1980s, the Soviet Union constructed a super submarine unlike any other. Fast and capable of astounding depths for a combat submersible, the submarine Komsomolets was introduced in 1984, heralded as a new direction for the Soviet Navy.

Five years later, Komsomolets and its nuclear weapons were on the bottom of the ocean, two-thirds of its crew killed by what was considered yet another example of Soviet incompetence.

The history of the Komsomolets goes as far back as 1966. A team at the Rubin Design Bureau under N. A. Klimov and head designer Y. N. Kormilitsin was instructed to begin research into a Project 685, a deep-diving submarine. The research effort dragged on for eight years, likely due to a lack of a suitable metal that could withstand the immense pressures of the deep. In 1974, however, the double-hulled design was completed, with a titanium alloy chosen for the inner hull.

Project 685, also known as K-278, was to be a prototype boat to test future deep-diving Soviet submarines. The Sevmash shipyard began construction on April 22, 1978 and the ship was officially completed on May 30, 1983. The difficulty in machining titanium contributed to the unusually long construction period.

K-278 was 360 feet long and forty feet wide, with the inner hull approximately twenty-four feet wide. It had a submerged displacement of 6,500 tons, and the use of titanium instead of steel made it notably lighter. It had a unique double hull, with the inner hull made of titanium, that gave it its deep-diving capability. The inner hull was further divided into seven compartments, two of which were reinforced to create a safe zone for the crew, and an escape capsule was built into the sail to allow the crew to abandon ship while submerged at depths of up to 1,500 meters....
http://nationalinterest.org/blog/russia-has-dead-nuclear-submarine-armed-nuclear-weapons-18227
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline dfwgator

geronl

where is the GLOMAR EXPLORER when you need it

Oceander

I'd think there's a strong chance those weapons would be no more than squibs by now. 

Offline Just_Victor

I'd think there's a strong chance those weapons would be no more than squibs by now.

30 years submerged in sea water is not going to be kind to the metal components of the warheads.  If the seawater has penetrated into the fissile material, it's probably useless as well.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

@Oceander

There is an even stronger chance that the weapons were collected by a secret CIA ship using a giant claw.   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Joe Wooten

Russian sources allege that during these visits, evidence of “unauthorized visits to the sunken submarine by foreign agents” were discovered.

I bet the US Navy left a calling card at the site taunting the Soviets....

Oceander

@Oceander

There is an even stronger chance that the weapons were collected by a secret CIA ship using a giant claw.   

I'd bet on that!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Quote from: Oceander 4link=topic=232334.msg1120857#msg1120857 date=1478100620
I'd bet on that!

It's actually what happened.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Tom Clancy appears to be alive and still writing.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington