Author Topic: To Anti-Trumpsters (a Burma Shave Poem)  (Read 45073 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: To Anti-Trumpsters (a Burma Shave Poem)
« Reply #200 on: November 04, 2016, 06:00:55 pm »
As I mentioned in my last substantive post about three pages and an ocean of spewing of sadistic, deranged, embarrassingly odd Anti-Trumpster hate-back, I knew that there would continue to be a flood of outraged, desperate defenses, sneering over-the-top accusations, hair-on-fire vituperations all designed to keep reality at bay and ameliorate the well-deserved sense of shame that the Anti-Trumpster brigade very naturally feel about throwing their voting franchise away in one huge collective vomit/defecation tantrum.

Here is a topically cogent reality, restated: There is no way that anyone can possibly convince me or any other normal human being that there is absolutely no decent chance that Trump will be a significantly better president than Hill-O-Lies.

Now, let's review how the barking, grunting, psychotic hate-fest all began (and has gone one for what now? 200 posts!!) because I, a genuine conservative, (as I think most of you anti-Trumpsters are not) posted a humorous poem critical of the anti-Trump movement , then had the audacity to respond substantively to a few of the vituperations with emphatic refutations/explanations etc. That's all I did. That's it.

The subsequent lunacy directed at me, my character and my intentions in posting that poem has undergone a fascinating evolution. At first the accusations were merely that I was wrong, wrong-headed, of deficient character/intellect, very foolish or oblivious. Then later, when I ignored most of these odd ejaculations from the volcano of lunacy that the anti-Trumpsters put forth (because frankly they were too numerous and ever-changing to respond to item-by-item without a full-time clerical staff to assist me), the flood became gradually more odd.

Most-lately I am a "plant" from the democrats (who stridently OPPOSE Mr. Trump  the last time I checked, as do all of you nice people). So again, there is a serious cognitive dissonance in this specific vituperation. Get it together folks! How on Earth is any undecided reader to be convinced that you all have your fingers firmly on the pulse of reality when you can't get your vituperations to align with a consistent, progressive trajectory?

And I'm STILL waiting for someone to explain how Trump can be horribly inconsistent and also horribly predictable at the same time!!! You're all not sure what he will do from moment to moment, but you know for an absolute certainty that he will be a horrible president - even as you admit that you don't have any idea what he will actually do!! As far as I have had it explained to me by those who deal in reality, one cannot be both incorrigibly, chronically, UNpredictable and also incorrigibly, chronically predictable at the same time. It must (at least in this universe) be one or the other.

So, which is it !?!  A substantive response from someone who manages to stop spewing mindless, ridiculous overly-angry nonsense, wipe off the froth and the slobber long enough to post a consistent, coherent sentence would be appreciated.

There was a woman in the jungle
 And a monkey on a tree.
 The Anti-Trump Brigade it was followin' me.
 They can't stop what they're doing
  'Cause they've caught a disease
  It's called "schizoaffective rage"
  'Senses 'taken their leave their leave,
  Their leave, their leave, their leave...

(LFL fires off staring pistol for a third time).

Thanks for letting us all know that we got under your skin and live rent free inside your head.

Oh, and Trump we are convinced will be worse than Hillary given the penchant for his bunch to incite his fanatical zealots to issue death threats and promises of punishment simply over whom we choose not to vote for.

You've proven by your own hand you are nothing but a troll, here to start shiite and stir the pot to assuage your own hubris self-importance.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #201 on: November 04, 2016, 06:02:24 pm »
Ah yes, we now return to our regularly scheduled nonsense.

I could not possibly have described the sadistic, vacuous, reflexive, onanistic eruptions that you anti-Trumpsters call "debate" on this thread any more precisely.

Bumpty dumpty the anti-Trumpster bump

Even the best of the Anti-Trumpsters (and there are a few who actually engage in substantive dialogue occasionally)...

Never say
Never see
Never think and
Never do
Anything
That's really new.
Burma Shave
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 06:04:23 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #202 on: November 04, 2016, 06:09:14 pm »
First you make the flawed assumption that those who advocate a return of the Federal Government to within the scope of its original Constitutional Duties and powers had/have any "voting franchise" with the GOP or the current POTUS candidate. To assume that a group which has been routinely ignored with the exception of entreaties for donations and empty promises in election years is in any way enfranchised is in error.

Let me put it in another way. If you want steak, continuing to go to McDonald's or Hardees isn't going to load you up with a porterhouse. Claiming that either of those concerns is operating in your best interest when what you want simply isn't on the menu is ludicrous.

You want fries wit' dat?
 Okay, there is no way anyone could convince you. I'll leave "normal" human beings out of this, partly because "normal" is a statistical phenomenon dependent on the study group, and because you are presuming to speak for that group without having the ability, I assume, to read their minds.  Some saw it as a novelty, some as another poke in already irritated sides by a group of people who just won't quit with their long history of vituperation, despite having been civilly dealt with, who have driven people from web fora, who have physically threatened in some instances people for harboring a different political opinion. By embracing that vituperation and directing it at folks who won't vote for that guy, you place yourself in league with them and that willful association makes you as guilty as other participants in the eyes of those who have been so accosted ad infinitum this election season. If you don't want to be counted in those ranks, don't wear the uniform, but if you do, you can expect to be treated as an adversary.Ah yes, many conspiracy theories abound where the actions of people don't flange up with their stated intent. If you support Trump, why the incessant attacks on those who do not? No attempt to woo, no flowers and chocolates, just a 'grab them by the netherbits' approach?  One of the most consistent inconsistencies of the Trump campaign is the unending attack on those who at first expressed reservations about voting for Trump. Trump supporters did as much or more than their candidate to create the #NEVERTRUMP movement, by alienating, berating, and threatening people they should have been trying to convince to vote for their candidate. Maybe that's a "New York Values" thingy, where you threaten those who won't come along willingly to whack them in line, but it just doesn't play with people who have a long history of not being intimidated, and that's a common characteristic in flyover country. We get our back up when someone threatens us, and insulting us is no way to gain our support, heartfelt or grudging.Look at it as a Heisenberg coefficient. Some things are predictably unpredictable, that is they will, with a 99.99% probability remain within certain parameters, but cannot be predicted to be in a certain spot at a given time.

Trump has a much lower predictability rate, which makes him predictably UNpredictable--to a point.

If you can't wrap your head around that, well, I can't help you.

Even with things like nuclear decay, there is a set of statistical parameters which render the process predictable. In Trump's case, though instead of billions of atoms acting as a statistical group, there is one person, one person who might have at his control things like strategic forces (nuclear), naval assets, ICBMs, the foreign policy of our nation, and other critical systems at his behest, who is predictably unpredictable.

That is not a good situation, especially since some bounding parameters of that unpredictability cannot be definitively established. Not the levels of failure one would want to do rank experimentation with, not the place to experiment with parameters, and despite Constitutional constraints, an incredible amount of damage could be done before some out of spec action or statement could be backpedaled.
 See the above, and don't be trapped by the bifurcated mentality of either-or assumptions. It is both, in that he is predictably unpredictable, but that aspect has the additional problem of parameters which are, in and of themselves, unpredictable. So while it is sure that his behaviour will be unpredictable, it is not predictable to what degree nor in what direction that unpredictability will manifest itself. That is unbelievably dangerous, considering the amount of power that would be at his discretion, even momentarily.I'll just say this. You request a rational response and then post your little inflammatory dirge.
Somehow, within that cognitive disconnect, I think I see the problem.

If you assume that somehow we are the ones who have the cognitive disorder, that might be self-affirming for you, but it has irretrievably biased your attempt (assuming such is in earnest) to decipher why you are having difficulty understanding why your inflammatory posts are the subject of derision.

That was masterful.   Thanks for that effort, knowing in advance it was a waste of time on the troll, but you did demonstrate how to eviscerate and disembowel his Lateness with a razor sharp rapier of wit to the rest of us.

As he made obvious by his own hand - he is not here for debate - but to ridicule and castigate.  Your reply should fester in his mind for a little while - and he will either ignore your adroit and cogent evisceration of his sophomoric rant with words he has just learned the meaning of, or he will lash out with Alinsky-Rule-No. 5 perfection.

The rest of us appreciate your masterful handling of our new resident troll.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #203 on: November 04, 2016, 06:13:47 pm »
Thanks for letting us all know that we got under your skin and live rent free inside your head.

Oh, and Trump we are convinced will be worse than Hillary given the penchant for his bunch to incite his fanatical zealots to issue death threats and promises of punishment simply over whom we choose not to vote for.

You've proven by your own hand you are nothing but a troll, here to start shiite and stir the pot to assuage your own hubris self-importance.

Oh no! Thank YOU, Invar. This thread is up to what? Over 2200 reads and getting close to 250 responses.

BTW, don't you folks realize that with every lame schizoaffectively enraged post, you lose a few more people for your "cause". The whole purpose for this thread was to put you yourselves on display for all to see in all of your spitting, scratching cursing, insulting, vituperative benighted glory. Even after I reveal this to you, you all continue to post!!! Magnificent.

That is why I came back to post after planning to sign off, to stir you all up again. And even AFTER I tell you this, you still can't help yourselves and continue to post humiliatingly detached-from-reality conspiracy theories and kindergarten-level, ham-fisted, sophistic arguments that make you all look like (forgive me) sadistic, bark-at-the-moon, vindictive, tawdry lunatics. 

Brah-VOH!!!

Bumpty dumpty the anti-Trumpster bump!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #204 on: November 04, 2016, 06:19:26 pm »
Oh no! Thank YOU, Invar. This thread is up to what? Over 2200 reads and getting close to 250 responses.

BTW, don't you folks realize that with every lame schizoaffectively enraged post, you lose a few more people for your "cause". The whole purpose for this thread was to put you yourselves on display for all to see in all of your spitting, scratching cursing, insulting, vituperative benighted glory. Even after I reveal this to you, you all continue to post!!! Magnificent.

That is why I came back to post after planning to sign off, to stir you all up again. And even AFTER I tell you this, you still can't help yourselves and continue to post humiliatingly detached-from-reality conspiracy theories and kindergarten-level, ham-fisted, sophistic arguments that make you all look like (forgive me) sadistic, bark-at-the-moon, vindictive, tawdry lunatics. 

Brah-VOH!!!

Bumpty dumpty the anti-Trumpster bump!
Ah yes, bumpity bump, the Trashcan Man rolls along from Indian Springs...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #205 on: November 04, 2016, 06:27:09 pm »

Like all trolls who crave attention - you have received your reward.  Congrats.

BTW, don't you folks realize that with every lame schizoaffectively enraged post, you lose a few more people for your "cause".

Laughable.  You are so filled with your own self-important hubris you are blind to the fact your ridiculing, condescending, threatening pro-Trump mobs are driving reluctant Trump voters into sitting home or going third party.  After all, it was people like you who drove me from reluctant to militant NeverTrump.  So congrats on making us your enemy.

The whole purpose for this thread was to put you yourselves on display for all to see in all of your spitting, scratching cursing, insulting, vituperative benighted glory. Even after I reveal this to you, you all continue to post!!! Magnificent.

The psychology doesn't fly on a board with only 8 or 9 members who are Trump Militants, with the bulk of the membership having been banned and driven from other fora you and yours have taken over and made into Trump Safe Spaces.

You are not interested in debate.  You people never were.  As your own hand admits - we will either be threatened, intimidated into submission to your prince, or insulted, threatened and ridiculed for refusing to bow.

That is why I came back to post after planning to sign off, to stir you all up again.

As all trolls and board disruptors and bullies are wont to do.

Thanks for outing yourself… again.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #206 on: November 04, 2016, 06:41:36 pm »
. . . you all look like (forgive me) sadistic, bark-at-the-moon, vindictive, tawdry lunatics. 

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #207 on: November 04, 2016, 06:54:24 pm »

All due respect Ace (and that is great), the graphics don't add much to your posts. It's what they call a "cheap trick" when you can't really think of anything smart or interesting or entertaining to express, use graphics. They teach that a lot in advertising, marketing and web development. That wouldn't be your vocation, would it?

bumpty dumpty the anti-Trumpster bump! 

« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 06:58:00 pm by LateForLunch »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #208 on: November 04, 2016, 06:59:31 pm »
All due respect Ace (and that is great), the graphics don't add much to your posts. It's what they call a "cheap trick" when you can't really think of anything smart or interesting or entertaining to express, use graphics. They teach that a lot in advertising, marketing and web development. That wouldn't be your vocation, would it?

Oh. You having trouble with graphics?

Just curious there, Trashcan Man, but what's with the bumpty bump stuff?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 06:59:54 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #209 on: November 04, 2016, 07:01:10 pm »
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 07:14:39 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #210 on: November 04, 2016, 07:03:04 pm »
All due respect Ace (and that is great), the graphics don't add much to your posts. It's what they call a "cheap trick" when you can't really think of anything smart or interesting to express, use graphics.

It might have been if I hadn't created the signs myself. (The texts are mine entirely. For the record and in the interest
of fair disclosure, I've had an interest in the Burma-Shave sign campaign for a long time and have read two charming
books about them, Mr. Frank Rowsome, Jr.'s The Verse By the Side of the Road and Mr. Bill Vossler's Burma-
Shave: The Rhymes, the Signs, the Times
. Recommended reading for anyone whose Americana interests are more
than skin deep, if you'll pardon the expression.) But considering the tenor of the current campaign, you'd get the
impression sometimes that tricks, cheap or otherwise, would be an improvement. ;)

They teach that a lot in
advertising, marketing and web development. That wouldn't be your vocation, would it?

Alas, no. I'm a free lance editor/writer and blues guitarist. I was an art student decades ago but discovered I wasn't
half the artist I might be a writer. And, I picked up the guitar again about eight years ago and refuse to put it down
ever again.

You really should think about hiring a new comedy writer. ;)

One more for (if you'll pardon the expression) the road . . .

« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 07:05:13 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #211 on: November 04, 2016, 07:36:40 pm »
Repeating yourselves is likely only going to continue to annoy guests following the thread who already suspect you anti-Trumpsters of being rather dull-witted. For me, it is wonderful. Please continue!

And will SOMEBODY please enlighten our fellow poster as to the meaning of a "bump". He has apparently not been around the block yet. This term has been used freely on this thread by a whole host of posters other than I.

Ah! I almost forgot! The latest deranged accusations of me being a troll - you may feel free to contact Admin and complain, but I doubt you will find agreement. I have fully and freely engaged in substantive debate with you lovely people and only stopped responding to them as they arose when the level of intellect in the posts sank into the submoron realm ("He's a Democrat PLANT!!" heh) and the level of vituperation rose to the hysterical ranting and raving stratosphere.   

It's likely I won't engage in further substantive debate with most of you nice folks for the same reason I won't likely jump headfirst into a wood chipper. One already knows the likely result of each action.

I stay around because I keep hoping that someone on the anti-Trump side of the issue will actually post something straightforward, brief and to the point ( as I have several times) without hateful invective and derisive, sadistic venom, (not to mention being dull and boring) worthy of a substantive response. Wild vituperations or insults hardly rate a substantive, respectful response, wouldn't you agree? I mean, just LOOK at the content of most of the posts directed to or about me over the last twenty posts and ask yourself if they would elicit a response from any normal person!?! I think not.

Oceander and some others have actually posted decently on the thread but you others...wow. It makes me think that some of you have either had too many drugs or not enough.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 07:44:01 pm by LateForLunch »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #212 on: November 04, 2016, 07:56:03 pm »
...wow. it makes me think that some of you have either had too many drugs or not enough.

Just wait till the next president---whether it's Donaldus Minimus or Hilarious Rodent Clinton---assumes
office. Either one of them will kick the American pharmaeutical industry (not to mention the distillery, brewery,
and tavern businesses) into overdrive trying to keep up with the demand.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 07:56:33 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #213 on: November 04, 2016, 08:34:04 pm »
Repeating yourselves is likely only going to continue to annoy guests following the thread who already suspect you anti-Trumpsters of being rather dull-witted. For me, it is wonderful. Please continue!

And will SOMEBODY please enlighten our fellow poster as to the meaning of a "bump". He has apparently not been around the block yet. This term has been used freely on this thread by a whole host of posters other than I.
I take it the 'Trashcan Man reference was lost on you. (A character from an earlier Stephen King novel, The Stand. Bumpty bump your own self. Interesting the character is a pyromaniac who has sold his soul to the Devil's own henchman, Randall Flag, and yet destroys the whole show with a nuclear weapon from the arsenal (in the story) at Indian Springs.

Now you know the rest of the story, and the origin of the reference.

It's such a pity when you insult someone and they just don't get it, but I find the petty arsonist turned apocalyptic somehow appropriate for a comparison, considering your inflammable trolling the #nevertrump people on this forum with your flaming sanctimony and particular brands of insult, claiming vituperation where none has existed, only fact.

Sad. You don't bump to the top on this forum, dear FReeper, not like TOS.
Ah! I almost forgot! The latest deranged accusations of me being a troll - you may feel free to contact Admin and complain, but I doubt you will find agreement. I have fully and freely engaged in substantive debate with you lovely people and only stopped responding to them as they arose when the level of intellect in the posts sank into the submoron realm ("He's a Democrat PLANT!!" heh) and the level of vituperation rose to the hysterical ranting and raving stratosphere.   

It's likely I won't engage in further substantive debate with most of you nice folks for the same reason I won't likely jump headfirst into a wood chipper. One already knows the likely result of each action.
Well, there goes that suspense.  **nononono* Plants and wood chippers just go together somehow. The only stratospheric claims of abuse I see here are from your keyboard. Perhaps you need to return to your 'safe space' for a little R&R and to let the two or three neurons wildly discharging in unison settle down for a bit. Maybe you should ground them out and start over.
I stay around because I keep hoping that someone on the anti-Trump side of the issue will actually post something straightforward, brief and to the point ( as I have several times) without hateful invective and derisive, sadistic venom, (not to mention being dull and boring) worthy of a substantive response.
Oh, so now you want brevity, too. What, was my other post too much for you to read at once? Did your lips get tired?
Wild vituperations or insults hardly rate a substantive, respectful response, wouldn't you agree? I mean, just LOOK at the content of most of the posts directed to or about me over the last twenty posts and ask yourself if they would elicit a response from any normal person!?! I think not.
There you go again, assuming you are somehow a judge of what is 'normal'. I think you have had quite a share of respectful responses, perhaps far more than you merit.

I do have a question, though.

Have you (or for that matter any of the other anti-#nevertrumpers on the thread--feel free to chime in on this one), ever considered how much progress might have been made demeaning Hillary Clinton (remember her, the supposed "enemy") had we all not been so thoroughly engaged by alleged Trump Supporters defending our stance against incontinent invective day after tedious day? How much time could have been spent by the alleged Trump supporters themselves if they had just ignored those pesky #nevertrumps and concentrated their efforts on extolling his virtues ( :silly:) and deriding her flaws--which are legion?

Considering the #nevertrump faction here appears to be basically anti-Hillary too, weeks have been wasted which could have been spent in a cooperative effort to pick through wikileaks material and demean her, too.

But no, in the mold of the fellow who runs his campaign based on vengeful attacks on Republicans and other Conservatives rather than so much on Liberals and Democrats, so much time has been spent projecting all the psychological spew of the Trump campaign onto those of us who won't support him either.
(Maybe y'all should get T-shirts marked like claymore mines: "Front. This side toward enemy").
Of course, that begs the question, cui bono? Why her Hindness, of course. Hence, people wonder if those of you who drew the short straw any given day are only here to distract those of us who don't want her either, from finding more dirt on and discussing her lack of merit, too, by keeping us engaged discussing his (lack of merit, that is).

By the tinfoil hat property of political outcomes, that makes you a pro-Hillary troll.

Oceander and some others have actually posted decently on the thread but you others...wow. It makes me think that some of you have either had too many drugs or not enough.
And now, you make an open ended and blanket accusation that the posters here are habitual users of mood altering substances either overmedicated or short a dose.

How can you rationally expect people to respond to your deranged sanctimony? Or is it just more projection?

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #214 on: November 04, 2016, 08:38:15 pm »
Just wait till the next president---whether it's Donaldus Minimus or Hilarious Rodent Clinton---assumes
office. Either one of them will kick the American pharmaeutical industry (not to mention the distillery, brewery,
I think both sides get a cut from the Cartels...and Big Pharma.

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #215 on: November 04, 2016, 09:03:55 pm »

Yet here you are again, doing what disruptive trolls always do in communities when theirs is the minority opinion and they cannot convince.  They insult and ridicule.

You have simply opted for grammatical application of words you just learned the meaning of rather than four-letter invectives that your kind often spew.

I stay around because I keep hoping that someone on the anti-Trump side of the issue will actually post something straightforward, brief and to the point ( as I have several times) without hateful invective and derisive, sadistic venom, (not to mention being dull and boring) worthy of a substantive response.

That there is a monster lie, provable by your own hand in reply.  You are no more interested in s substantive response than Obama is interested in heterosexual American patriotism.  Your own hand told us what your interests are - and they are the interests of your typical disruptive troll demanding attention, no matter how outrageous you have to be to get it.

We know what spirit you are of given your own hand and words making that self-evident.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #216 on: November 04, 2016, 09:30:05 pm »
(Maybe just a Calgon bubble bath will get you started with the calming down process).

I read that as Caligula bubble bath and spent far longer than necessary thinking what exactly that would be.

Been a long week ....
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #217 on: November 04, 2016, 10:37:31 pm »
It might have been if I hadn't created the signs myself. (The texts are mine entirely. For the record and in the interest
of fair disclosure, I've had an interest in the Burma-Shave sign campaign for a long time and have read two charming
books about them, Mr. Frank Rowsome, Jr.'s The Verse By the Side of the Road and Mr. Bill Vossler's Burma-
Shave: The Rhymes, the Signs, the Times
. Recommended reading for anyone whose Americana interests are more
than skin deep, if you'll pardon the expression.) But considering the tenor of the current campaign, you'd get the
impression sometimes that tricks, cheap or otherwise, would be an improvement. ;)

Bill Bryson wrote very affectionately about those signs in one of his books. MAD did a really good set of parodies - I'll see if I can dig out the book it's in and scan it for you.

[/quote]
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #218 on: November 05, 2016, 12:54:46 pm »
I read that as Caligula bubble bath and spent far longer than necessary thinking what exactly that would be.

Been a long week ....

:thud:
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline musiclady

« Reply #219 on: November 05, 2016, 08:11:00 pm »

Been a long week ....

:silly:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Wingnut

« Reply #220 on: November 06, 2016, 01:02:47 pm »
There once was a brash thousandaire
who couldn't afford decent hair.
Vexed voters agreed,
"We're a nation in need!"
But toupée the price, do we dare?

Burma Shave

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #221 on: November 07, 2016, 04:07:46 pm »

About that there can be no question.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #222 on: November 07, 2016, 04:18:27 pm »

Oh No, I like to use graphics   :thud:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #223 on: October 19, 2022, 12:03:10 am »
Good old thread!   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.