Author Topic: The Indians, the little team that almost did  (Read 844 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The Indians, the little team that almost did
« on: November 03, 2016, 09:24:54 pm »
By Yours Truly
http://throneberryfields.com/2016/11/03/the-indians-the-little-team-that-almost-did/

Somewhere in the middle of the party enveloping Wrigleyville, which isn’t likely to re-open until spring training, at minimum, the
heart of every Cub fan knows without having to say it. They ended baseball’s longest championship drought the hard way.

And they ought to congratulate the Cleveland Indians for making the Cubs absolutely earn it, no matter what surrealities came
into play in Game Seven or, frankly, in the entire World Series. Rarely has any team robbed of so much taken a World Series to
the absolute final out with so little left to expend from their bold selves as the Indians took.

When journeyman Michael Martinez, literally the last man manager Terry Francona had standing, grounded out in the bottom of
the tenth to Kris Bryant for game, set, and Series to the Cubs, you realised the Indians had played so far over the heads left to
them in Game Seven that against any other team they still might have ended their own second-longest championship drought.

“We were going on our willpower,” said Rajai Davis, another journeyman who damn near rocked the Cubs back down to earth with
his earth-shattering, eighth-inning two-run homer into the Progressive Field left field pavilion. “We have some talent, but they
have a lot of talent. They were loaded.”

The Indians had more than “some” talent. Despite losing Michael Brantley to a season-ending shoulder injury in April and starters
Carlos Carrasco and Danny Salazar to injuries down the stretch. Salazar recovered in time for the Series, but had to be limited to
very limited bullpen duty. Losing those three stung.

“Tonight summed up this team: Never give up, next man up, no excuses,” said relief star Andrew Miller, a free agent-to-be, whose
tank finally went empty in Game Seven. “It was so fun to be a part of. It hurts right now, but it was a blast to be a part of. We
achieved a lot with so many obstacles.”

However miraculous you think the Cubs’ triumph was, you’d have to look at the banged-up Indians as a miracle club in their own
right. Losing Brantley, Carrasco, and Salazar should have been their death sentence. Yet they managed to keep it wide enough in
the American League Central to come down the stretch with no lead smaller than four games from 11 August forward.

But few gave them chances against the American League East-winning Red Sox. Yet they swept the Red Sox in the division series
and outscored the Olde Towne Team 15-7, celebrating Miller’s and the rest of their skin-tight bullpen’s coming out party while they
were at it. Then, they beat the Blue Jays in the League Championsip Series in five.

All of a sudden the Indians looked like a match for the Cubs. And when they took a 3-1 Series lead, there were those writing the
Cubs’ obituary already. The Cubs’ vaunted lineup seemed almost sound asleep, other than that almost excuse-us! looking 5-1 Game
Two Cub win, and the Indians looked like they were going to pitch the Cubs’ ears in. And anything else they could find.

Corey Kluber outpitched Jon Lester in Game One and the Indians went right to the pen in the fifth inning. Josh Tomlin matched
shutout innings with Kyle Hendricks in Game Three before the firm of Miller, Shaw, and Allen stepped in to finish what Tomlin
started. And Kluber returned on short rest to go six one-run innings in Game Four while Miller and Dan Otero finished up and
put the Cubs on life support.

When Trevor Bauer relieved Bryan Shaw in the tenth of Game Seven and got two fast outs to end the inning, about the only thing
Indians fans could ask was, “Where was this Trevor Bauer when we needed him?” Bauer had started and lost Games Two and Five
and looked eminently reachable despite a few solid confrontations.

Indians fans might be asking more to the point, “Where was Ryan Merritt?” The rookie lefthander had only started Game Five of
the LCS and shut the Blue Jays out before handing off to the Firm (Shaw got credit for the win), and it might have been understandable
for Francona to think first of Kluber, Tomlin, and Bauer, but keeping Merritt from getting anywhere near a Series start after Bauer
looked so rickety in Game Two may have helped cost them the World Series.

It was a collection of semi-spare parts, a couple of shutdown starters, and a no-bull bullpen that got the Indians to within a game
of the Promised Land. They used a combination of oft-wounded, oft-inconsistent journeymen named Chisenhall, Crisp, Davis, and
Guyer, and a rookie named Naquin in the outfield and got that close.

(How did Davis lead the American League in stolen bases on the season and then get away with four postseason thefts, including three
in the Series, at an age when the wheels begin leaking fluid?)

They had a veteran thumper named Mike Napoli playing first base and coming into the postseason having hit 34 home runs and
driven in 101 runs on the regular season. He hit only .173 (9-for-52) with one bomb and three steaks all postseason long. Everyone
in Believeland waited for Napoli to re-heat. He couldn’t even light a match. Yet the Indians pushed the Cubs to the brink with lesser
men doing the clutch hitting.

Terry Pluto, the Cleveland writer who wrote The Curse of Rocky Colavito in the early 1990s, called this year’s Indians the Little Team
That Could. After Game Four, they looked like the Little Team That Would.

Then came Game Five and Bauer surrendering three runs in the third, including re-awakening Kris Bryant’s leadoff bomb in the
fourth to tie the game at one, while Lester and his bullpen made the 3-2 score stick to the end.

Followed by Game Six, when Tomlin got pried for six runs as the rest of the Cubs’ bats continued rising from the dead, while Chapman
answered what Francona called the “big ask,” stopped the Indians dead with first and second in the bottom of the seventh before
working a clean and swift enough eighth, getting an inning-ending double play after a one-out single.

And, Game Seven. When Kluber and Miller pitched on fumes. But when Davis parked his game-tying bomb and the game finished
nine full, the Indians had to think they had a chance despite the rain delay. Especially when Guyer walked, took second on defensive
indifference with Davis at the plate, and Davis swatted him home with a nasty single to short center, Guyer on his horses at the crack
of the bat.

Except that Francona went so all-in to win it that he had no position players left, nobody to bring off the bench, and Martinez representing
the winning run. The Little Team That Could turned out to be the Little Team That Almost Did.

“It’s going to hurt,” said Francona, whose clever use of his bullpen and manipulation of his Carrasco-and-Salazar-less rotation will be
dissected for years if not decades to come for what it almost accomplished. “It hurts because we care, but they need to walk with their
head held high because they left nothing on the field. They tried until there was nothing left.”

Hell, these Indians tried past the point where there was nothing left. And the Cubs knew it. “I think on the surface, looking at it from
my perspective, really evenly matched teams that play the game the same way,” said Cubs manager Joe Maddon. “A lot of passion about
it, a lot of respect for the game itself. And I know Tito, I know he’s always been that guy.”

He’ll always be that guy, too. Francona busted one actual or alleged curse in Boston twelve years ago. Don’t rule out the prospect that
he’ll bust an actual or alleged curse in Cleveland soon enough. All he has to do is keep the disabled list at bay, and maybe prevent rain
delays.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: The Indians, the little team that almost did
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 11:53:09 pm »
Here's the thing: Cleveland got their day earlier this year when the Cavaliers won the NBA Finals. Now, it's great that the Indians won the pennant, and there is no shame in how they played this series, but I think that two championships in one year might have been too much for that city to handle.

Take a look at Boston—the Red Sox broke that curse of 86 years, but that was also the first few years of the Tom Brady Era, and the Celtics and Bruins also all won titles within a few years. Now, I don't mean this to dis Red Sox fans, as I know several who are loyal and decent people (particularly outside New England—my family is big Red Sox fans and I have some sympathies for them myself), but the fans of Boston, by and large, are now insufferable. Cleveland's a hard-hit, blue-collar, working-class town trying to reinvent itself. If there's one thing it knows, it's resiliency.

A little humility is good for the soul. The Indians will have more chances. They may have the longest championship drought in MLB right now, but the pressure isn't quite so great that it'll cripple them.

There's always next year.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 12:56:54 am »
A little humility is good for the soul.

The Indians have now had 69 years worth of humility, not to mention having their cleanest shot at a World Series ring obstructed
by a team with 108 years worth of humility. I'd say that's enough humility for any team.

The Indians will have more chances. They may have the longest championship drought in MLB right now, but the pressure isn't quite so great that it'll cripple them.

There's always next year.

Well, now. It took nineteen years between the Indians' current and most recent chances at making this year next year in terms of
the World Series. For Indian fans, the sad reality is that this year wasn't next year. But they could well be back in next year's
postseason.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 06:05:30 pm »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 06:12:08 pm »

Curse of the Billy Goat

And here I thought it was always really the curse of Philip K. Wrigley.

Come to think of it, the Indians shouldn't refer to the Curse of Rocky Colavito---they should call it the Curse
of Frank Lane, as the manager Lane sh@t-canned in favour of Joe Gordon, Bobby Bragan, did in his memoir:

I didn't put a curse on the club. Having Frank Lane as general manager was curse enough.