Author Topic: Grown-ups’ new schemes to ruin Halloween  (Read 4767 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Grown-ups’ new schemes to ruin Halloween
« on: October 31, 2016, 12:58:08 pm »
by Lenore Skenazy - October 30, 2016

The way parents are told to prepare for the festive event, you’d think that only half the kids will ever make it home — and none with their teeth. From Facebook to mommy blogs to notes home from skittish schools, experts are gravely weighing in on what your child should eat and wear and how, with a lot of luck and a fistful of glowsticks, your sweet little moving target just might survive this night of neighbor-greeting and sub-optimal nutrition.

Despite our fears, no child has ever been poisoned by a stranger’s candy on Halloween. As for predators, a team of researchers led by Elizabeth Letourneau, now director of the Moore Center for the Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School, looked at child-sex-crime stats both before and after local laws forced sex offenders to turn out their lights on Halloween. Her conclusion: “There’s just no increase in sex offenses on that day.”

(excerpt)

http://nypost.com/2016/10/30/grown-ups-new-schemes-to-ruin-halloween/
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Grown-ups’ new schemes to ruin Halloween
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 01:01:34 pm »
by Lenore Skenazy - October 30, 2016

The way parents are told to prepare for the festive event, you’d think that only half the kids will ever make it home — and none with their teeth. From Facebook to mommy blogs to notes home from skittish schools, experts are gravely weighing in on what your child should eat and wear and how, with a lot of luck and a fistful of glowsticks, your sweet little moving target just might survive this night of neighbor-greeting and sub-optimal nutrition.

Despite our fears, no child has ever been poisoned by a stranger’s candy on Halloween. As for predators, a team of researchers led by Elizabeth Letourneau, now director of the Moore Center for the Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School, looked at child-sex-crime stats both before and after local laws forced sex offenders to turn out their lights on Halloween. Her conclusion: “There’s just no increase in sex offenses on that day.”

(excerpt)

http://nypost.com/2016/10/30/grown-ups-new-schemes-to-ruin-halloween/

Not true.  The danger is probably overhyped but kids have died from stuff put in their candy, razor blades to poison.

But hey it is a pagan holiday so we need a few blood sacrifices right.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 01:08:52 pm »
Not true.  The danger is probably overhyped but kids have died from stuff put in their candy, razor blades to poison.

What a load of shit. All of the poisoning and razor blades stories have been proven a lie. The only episode that involved poisoning was a father who poisoned his kids at Halloween in an insurance scam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Clark_O%27Bryan

Judging by your ridiculous comment on the holiday, I am guessing you either were not allowed to participate as a child because your parents were bores or you did participate and the other kids made fun of your crude Wonder Woman costume.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 01:18:37 pm »
When I was little, we had a widow neighbor who would bake chocolate chip cookies.

My dad would go trick or treating with his girls, and we would always get a cookie from her. She would insist my dad take one too, and one for my mom.

She knew all the neighborhood kids and their parents and baked for everyone.

Today I'm afraid she couldn't do that. She's long gone but parents wouldn't let their kids eat homemade cookies. I tried one year and no one took any, even though all my neighbors know me.

Now I give out quarters. Except the super's children each get a dollar.

I loved Halloween. Trunk or treat sounds terrible
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 01:19:43 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 01:22:06 pm »
What a load of shit. All of the poisoning and razor blades stories have been proven a lie. The only episode that involved poisoning was a father who poisoned his kids at Halloween in an insurance scam.

Judging by your ridiculous comment on the holiday, I am guessing you either were not allowed to participate as a child because your parents were bores or you did participate and the other kids made fun of your crude Wonder Woman costume.

Lots of our holidays have pagan roots but Christianity has a long history of adopting pagan rituals and incorporating Christianity as a means of spreading our religion. Easter is the most holy Christian holiday and even that has incorporated pagan rites and symbolism.

Its a good thing and has been great salesmanship over the centuries. Islam on the other hand has been spread through brutality and violence.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 01:29:41 pm »

The important word here is "stranger's."  The only documented case of any malfeasance was a father providing his own children with poisoned Pixie Stix.  I think all the rest have proven to be untrue.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 01:30:10 pm by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 01:30:30 pm »
@Freya

My sister lives in what is locally known as "the hot dog house".

It was the house where all the kids were invited into the kitchen to warm up and have a hot dog on a bun.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 01:32:56 pm »
@Freya

My sister lives in what is locally known as "the hot dog house".

It was the house where all the kids were invited into the kitchen to warm up and have a hot dog on a bun.

I'm so there. Just don't invite Joey Chestnut!  :silly:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 01:37:57 pm »
Its a good thing and has been great salesmanship over the centuries. Islam on the other hand has been spread through brutality and violence.

I don't know. The muslims "Take Your Daughter To An Infidel Beheading" is picking up steam. Who doesn't love the traditional Beheading Falafel?

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 01:51:04 pm »
Not true.  The danger is probably overhyped but kids have died from stuff put in their candy, razor blades to poison. But hey it is a pagan holiday so we need a few blood sacrifices right.
@driftdriver
@mystery-ak

Halloween should be banned, kids get run over and high school kids commit crimes. I was a high school teacher early in my life and had a small child.  On Halloween, a high school kid or two, I don't know, put a flaming, as in fire, huge ball of paper in front of my front door and rang the doorbell.  My small child opened the door while I was moving toward the door.  I grabbed my kid, shut the door and called police.

One time, eggs were thrown onto the outside of the house.  Getting eggs off is nearly impossible.

Either stop Halloween or put all high school kids in jail that day.  You can see what I hate Halloween.  Bob and I are turning off all outside lights and leaving the house today in the afternoon, coming back late tonight when kids should have stopped going around.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 01:52:38 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 02:21:57 pm »
The church ladies at FR have been running stories on the "evil" of Halloween all week. Pretty funny stuff.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 02:27:58 pm »
Halloween is still pretty small-town where I live, and not 1970s/80s style (I.e., little or no TP, eggs, flaming dog doo, or the like).

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 02:39:46 pm »

Yeah, I heard the "razor blades in the apples" warnings sixty years ago when I trick or treated. Wouldn't have worked anyway...most kids threw away apples or whatever nutritious food they got.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:46:20 pm by goatprairie »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 02:42:06 pm »
My wife is giving out pencils due to our diets, lol.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 02:47:08 pm »

Expect to be toilet papered.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 05:47:36 pm »
The rock is an old standby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tIhwITwhSg
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 06:09:33 pm »
The rock is an old standby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tIhwITwhSg

Best Halloween clip ever. Thank you for posting.

geronl

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 06:18:56 pm »
Public schools should have nothing to do with Halloween, period.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 06:37:53 pm »
Public schools should have nothing to do with Halloween, period.

I went to a Catholic grade school?HS and every Halloween we all dressed up  including the teachers, nuns and priest this was back in the 70's.

It was fun. You should try fun once in a while.

@geronl

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 06:38:47 pm »
The church ladies at FR have been running stories on the "evil" of Halloween all week. Pretty funny stuff.

A few of them on this thread.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2016, 06:50:20 pm »
The "trick" I always heard about growing up, but never actually knew anyone that did it, was to take a block of cheese and run over the window screens, as if you were grating the cheese.  We laughed about what a mess that would be to clean up. 

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2016, 06:54:26 pm »
The "trick" I always heard about growing up, but never actually knew anyone that did it, was to take a block of cheese and run over the window screens, as if you were grating the cheese.  We laughed about what a mess that would be to clean up.

Our standby was soaping windows..got caught  a few times lol. Only did it to the old miserable "get off my lawn types" -ones who hated us kids and let us know it. One a time  a basketball rolled into this guys yard and while we were watching he pulled out  a knife and cut it open then threw it back to us.

Never did anything to kind folks.

@RoosGirl
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 06:55:20 pm by mirraflake »

geronl

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2016, 06:56:17 pm »
I had a good one for this thread but I forgot it.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2016, 06:57:09 pm »
Our standby was soaping windows..got caught  a few times lol. Only did it to the old miserable "get off my lawn types" -ones who hated us kids and let us know it. One a time  a basketball rolled into this guys yard and while we were watching he pulled out  a knife and cut it open then threw it back to us.

Never did anything to kind folks.

@RoosGirl

LOL.  He totally deserved it. ;)

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 07:01:58 pm »

They're easy to spot. They're the one who dress up every year as a wet blanket.
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!