Author Topic: Gary Johnson May Win New Mexico, Which Would Keep both Trump and Clinton from Victory  (Read 3496 times)

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I'll bet you a trip to Aleppo he doesn't....... **nononono*

Probably, if any state goes third party it'll be mcmullin in Utah.

Offline r9etb

Absolutely!   I dream often, it usually involves my Avatar.

So ... who is that in your avatar pic?

Online corbe

@r9etb

Have no idea.

Brunette with sexy eyes (safe search).
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

geronl

I may change my mind and vote and vote for Johnson. Hopefully the House would then give it to Mike Pence!!! I can live with that!!!!  888high58888

They cannot give it to Pence. It has to be among the top 3 Presidential candidates, the Senate chooses from amongst the VP candidates

• Technical
They cannot give it to Pence. It has to be among the top 3 Presidential candidates, the Senate chooses from amongst the VP candidates

They can give it to Pence... how may you ask?

The acting VP becomes President on election day if the HoR cannot choose a President. So if they simply decline all options, there is a chance that Pence could become President.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

The acting VP becomes President on election day if the HoR cannot choose a President. So if they simply decline all options, there is a chance that Pence could become President.
That is only if Republicans keep the Senate. Otherwise, it's Tim Kaine. It's the new Congress that gets to pick the President in an Electoral College stalemate.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online libertybele

That is only if Republicans keep the Senate. Otherwise, it's Tim Kaine. It's the new Congress that gets to pick the President in an Electoral College stalemate.

So...could we possibly see a President and VP from two different parties??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

• Technical
So...could we possibly see a President and VP from two different parties??

Yup!

geronl

Pence has lost all respect and credibility

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
That's what I'm hoping for: native sons McMullin and Johnson pick off the 11 EV's in their home state, Trump makes just enough of a comeback to split the rest with Clinton and the election goes to the House.

Then NeverTrumpers in Other swing states need to vote Trump.  That's the only way this scenario can come to fruition.  If Hillary runs the table in swing states, it's over no matter who wins NM & UT.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
That just gives it to Trump, as the GOP members will vote for their own candidate.

I am not so sure.  Trump is not liked and Cruz is disliked - We could end up with Jeb/Rubio/other

geronl

Mindy Finn, next President of the USA!

geronl

I am not so sure.  Trump is not liked and Cruz is disliked - We could end up with Jeb/Rubio/other

The House would choose among the top 3 electoral vote getters.

• Technical

Mindy Finn, next President of the USA!

Googled her:

I wouldn't mind seeing her on the TV everyday.

Offline r9etb

Control of the Senate has nothing to do with it: the House would choose in the event that nobody gets a majority.  As per Article II, Section 1,

and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice.

Meaning: what's important is not even control of the House, but rather a majority of states whose House delegations are controlled by one party or the other.

In that case, there are far more Republican-controlled delegations than Democrat-controlled:

• Technical
Control of the Senate has nothing to do with it: the House would choose in the event that nobody gets a majority.  As per Article II, Section 1,

Meaning: what's important is not even control of the House, but rather a majority of states whose House delegations are controlled by one party or the other.

No no no no no. We're talking about beyond that, if the HoR cannot choose a candidate either. According to the 12th the VP becomes the acting president. Meaning Tim Kaine, Pence, or Mindy Finn (?).

I guess the last one is McMullin's running mate.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 05:53:03 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline r9etb

No no no no no. We're talking about beyond that, if the HoR cannot choose a candidate either. According to the 12th the VP becomes the acting president. Meaning Tim Kaine, Pence, or Mindy Finn (?).

Ah, my bad.  Thanks for the correction.

Can't imagine that the House wouldn't ever settle on a Presidential choice, however.   The back-room deals would be awesome to contemplate, in the same way a tsunami or mass extinction asteroid strike would be awesome to contemplate.

• Technical
Ah, my bad.  Thanks for the correction.

Can't imagine that the House wouldn't ever settle on a Presidential choice, however.   The back-room deals would be awesome to contemplate, in the same way a tsunami or mass extinction asteroid strike would be awesome to contemplate.

If this happens I might as well quit my day job, as I would never be able to concentrate on work during that and I'd be fired. Heh.

Offline r9etb

Googled her:

I wouldn't mind seeing her on the TV everyday.

Hearing her, on the other hand....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJklZb3Yt1Y

Offline bolobaby

That's what I'm hoping for: native sons McMullin and Johnson pick off the 11 EV's in their home state, Trump makes just enough of a comeback to split the rest with Clinton and the election goes to the House.

Don't be fooled. The GOP has already signed with Satan.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Oceander

That assumes that there was an elected Vice President.   The founders didn't anticipate political parties or joint tickets, so I'm not sure how the fact that we have two person tickets where the vote is for the ticket, would work.

But that leads to an interesting question:  Under the Constitution, it is the runner up who is the Vice President. I am guessing that currently the electoral votes the presidential candidate gets are the same for the VP that candidate ran with.  If nobody has 270, would the top two vote getters be the P and VP who ran together and as a ticket got that number of electoral votes?

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

That assumes that there was an elected Vice President.   The founders didn't anticipate political parties or joint tickets, so I'm not sure how the fact that we have two person tickets where the vote is for the ticket, would work.

But that leads to an interesting question:  Under the Constitution, it is the runner up who is the Vice President. I am guessing that currently the electoral votes the presidential candidate gets are the same for the VP that candidate ran with.  If nobody has 270, would the top two vote getters be the P and VP who ran together and as a ticket got that number of electoral votes?

The founders mosrt certainly did anticipate political parties.  They didn't like them for the most part, and didn't incorporate them into the Constitution, but they certainly saw them coming.

As far as number two becoming VP, that section was replaced by Ammendment XII.  If no one gets a majority, HOR picks P from top three P electoral vote recipients, Senate picks VP from top two VP electoral vote recipients.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 11:04:23 pm by InHeavenThereIsNoBeer »
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline kartographer

I LIKE IT!!!!!
Charley Waite: "Well you may not know this, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dying."