State Chapters > Texas

Eminent domain meetings scheduled across Texas

<< < (5/5)

Sanguine:

--- Quote from: jedidah on October 28, 2016, 04:58:22 am ---
Texan here AND a victim of eminent domain.  Please add me to your list?

--- End quote ---

Done.

@jedidah, can you tell us anything about your situation?

Elderberry:

--- Quote from: Sanguine on October 28, 2016, 02:32:01 am ---That does look like a pain while it's ongoing.

--- End quote ---

I usually only have to compete with the squirrels and neighbors to harvest my pecans.  Now I have a whole crew of workers to compete with as well.

They have dug below the water table so they are pumping water 24/7 into the corner of the street. Even with a huge silt bag on the output, our side of the street, several feet along the curb, is covered with goo, for about 4 houses to the storm drain.

jedidah:

--- Quote from: Sanguine on October 28, 2016, 11:38:29 am ---Can you tell us anything about your situation?

--- End quote ---

Oncor was undertaking a massive power line project.  Flooded potentially affected property owners with maps and literature laying out many, many options, some simple Point A to Point B and some potential routes downright laughable.

Common sense suggested that one of the practical and short alternatives would prevail.

Turns out, they "convinced" the PUC to approve one of the laughable alternatives, a route that required building 40 miles more line in order to avoid crossing a greenbelt in one of the Point A to Point B routes.  Property owners, feet mired solidly in reality, had not mustered an army of lawyers to appear before the PUC in their defense vs. the environmentalists who didn't want to look  up at power lines while jogging. 

My property was crossed by the extra 40 miles of towers and lines. First came the low-ball offer, arrogance and intimidation, an absolute refusal to use an already-existing easement nearby, etc., no real negotiation at all.  It was their way or condemnation.  I was able to get more than double their offer by taking it to court without representation.  Wasn't willing to fork most of the settlement over to lawyers.

Lost around 100 pecan trees, a good fishing lake, and a view that is now scarred by ugly towers and high power danger.  Still don't want to talk about it.

Sanguine:

--- Quote from: jedidah on October 28, 2016, 03:20:14 pm ---Oncor was undertaking a massive power line project.  Flooded potentially affected property owners with maps and literature laying out many, many options, some simple Point A to Point B and some potential routes downright laughable.

Common sense suggested that one of the practical and short alternatives would prevail.

Turns out, they "convinced" the PUC to approve one of the laughable alternatives, a route that required building 40 miles more line in order to avoid crossing a greenbelt in one of the Point A to Point B routes.  Property owners, feet mired solidly in reality, had not mustered an army of lawyers to appear before the PUC in their defense vs. the environmentalists who didn't want to look  up at power lines while jogging. 

My property was crossed by the extra 40 miles of towers and lines. First came the low-ball offer, arrogance and intimidation, an absolute refusal to use an already-existing easement nearby, etc., no real negotiation at all.  It was their way or condemnation.  I was able to get more than double their offer by taking it to court without representation.  Wasn't willing to fork most of the settlement over to lawyers.

Lost around 100 pecan trees, a good fishing lake, and a view that is now scarred by ugly towers and high power danger.  Still don't want to talk about it.

--- End quote ---

@jedidah, that's really ugly.  So sorry you went through that.  I hope this is a cautionary story for the rest of us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version