Author Topic: Bill Weld Issues A Dire Message About Trump During The Final Weeks Of The Election And It Is Unforgiving  (Read 4845 times)

cuky

Bill Weld Issues A Dire Message About Trump During The Final Weeks Of The Election And It Is Unforgiving

http://www.redstate.com/brandon_morse/2016/10/26/bill-weld-issues-dire-message-trump-final-weeks-election-unforgiving/

“I would not have stepped out of the swirl of the campaign to make this statement if I did not fear for our country, as I do.

“A President of the United States operates every day under a great deal of pressure — from all sides, and in furtherance of many different agendas. With that pressure comes constant criticism.

“After careful observation and reflection, I have come to believe that Donald Trump, if elected President of the United States, would not be able to stand up to this pressure and this criticism without becoming unhinged and unable to perform competently the duties of his office.

“Throughout this campaign, Mr. Trump has demonstrated an inability to handle criticism or blame well. His first instinct is to lash out at others. When challenged, he often responds as a child might. He makes a sour face, he calls people by insulting names, he waves his arms, he impatiently interrupts. Most families would not allow their children to remain at the dinner table if they behaved as Mr. Trump does. He has not exhibited the self-control, the discipline, or the emotional depth necessary to function credibly as a President of the United States.

“From the beginning of his campaign, Mr. Trump has conjured up enemies. First it was eleven million criminals in our midst, all bent on obtaining the benefits of citizenship, at our expense. Over time, the enemies became any trading partner of the United States. He says they are nothing but foreigners seeking to threaten our livelihoods. Now we have reached the point where his idea of America’s enemies includes almost anyone who talks or looks different from him. The goal of the Trump campaign, from the outset, has been to stir up envy, resentment, and group hatred.

“This is the worst of American politics. I fear for our cohesion as a nation, and for our place in the world, if this man who is unwilling to say he will abide by the result of our national election becomes our President.

“This great nation has weathered policy differences throughout our history, and we will do so again. Not in my lifetime, though, has there been a candidate for President who actually makes me fear for the ultimate well-being of the country, a candidate who might in fact put at risk the solid foundation of America that allows us to endure even ill-advised policies and the normal ebb and flow of politics.

“In the final days of this very close race, every citizen must be aware of the power and responsibility of each individual vote. This is not the time to cast a jocular or feel-good vote for a man whom you may have briefly found entertaining. Donald Trump should not, cannot, and must not be elected President of the United States.”

Offline skeeter

No doubt, Weld is on the Libertarian ticket for president.

I'd expect Weld to also write of being frightened of Hillary Clinton if I didn't already know Weld's political record is every bit as aligned with Clinton politically as many claim Trump is.

I'm afraid some are losing sight of the forest for the trees.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I agree with Gov. Weld.   Hillary may be "frightening", but not in the existential way that Trump is.   His obvious  mental instability is what compels me to vote against my party and my political self-interest.   We can survive corrupt.  We may not be able to survive bat-sh!t crazy. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline skeeter

And some are just blind.

Here is the quote again, tell me what you disagree with:

“Throughout this campaign, Mr. Trump has demonstrated an inability to handle criticism or blame well. His first instinct is to lash out at others. When challenged, he often responds as a child might. He makes a sour face, he calls people by insulting names, he waves his arms, he impatiently interrupts. Most families would not allow their children to remain at the dinner table if they behaved as Mr. Trump does. He has not exhibited the self-control, the discipline, or the emotional depth necessary to function credibly as a President of the United States.

“From the beginning of his campaign, Mr. Trump has conjured up enemies. First it was eleven million criminals in our midst, all bent on obtaining the benefits of citizenship, at our expense. Over time, the enemies became any trading partner of the United States. He says they are nothing but foreigners seeking to threaten our livelihoods. Now we have reached the point where his idea of America’s enemies includes almost anyone who talks or looks different from him. The goal of the Trump campaign, from the outset, has been to stir up envy, resentment, and group hatred.

“This is the worst of American politics. I fear for our cohesion as a nation, and for our place in the world, if this man who is unwilling to say he will abide by the result of our national election becomes our President.

“This great nation has weathered policy differences throughout our history, and we will do so again. Not in my lifetime, though, has there been a candidate for President who actually makes me fear for the ultimate well-being of the country, a candidate who might in fact put at risk the solid foundation of America that allows us to endure even ill-advised policies and the normal ebb and flow of politics.

“In the final days of this very close race, every citizen must be aware of the power and responsibility of each individual vote. This is not the time to cast a jocular or feel-good vote for a man whom you may have briefly found entertaining. Donald Trump should not, cannot, and must not be elected President of the United States.”

Very little other than its overly dramatic & somewhat hysterical sounding conclusions.

I believe Hillary Clinton is a evil, corrupt statist ideologue. Emphasis on ideologue.

Personally, I find that more frightening than the odious manhattanite and his ego.  You don't.

There it is.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 05:41:37 pm by skeeter »

Offline Frank Cannon

And some are just blind.

That's fine. Now show me where Liberal Bill went after Hitlary. He attacks Donny for making faces while not saying jack shit about a woman who has committed treason, perjury and theft.

Weld is a fraud and everyone knows it.

geronl

This was obvious to anyone with 3 working brain cells from day one!

Offline aligncare

This was obvious to anyone with 3 working brain cells from day one!

Here's some news for you: seems you're shy a couple.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 06:05:49 pm by aligncare »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Johnson-Weld the Ill-Libertarian Joke

William Weld is the epitome of RINO-awful. As governor, he shoved abortion, gay marriage, and big government environmentalism onto Massachusetts. His legacy includes Charlie Baker, a total RINO who thinks it's a good idea to allow men into women's restrooms if they think that they are women. This transgender agenda is played up as part of the “live and let live” mentality, but is actually hurting our society, putting women and children at risk. Yet the Massachusetts GOPe think that blurring genetic distinctions is somehow "progressive."

http://townhall.com/columnists/arthurschaper/2016/10/16/johson-weld-the-illibertarian-joke-n2232946

Weld said what?

Offline r9etb

Very little other than its overly dramatic & somewhat hysterical sounding conclusions.

I believe Hillary Clinton is a evil, corrupt statist ideologue. Emphasis on ideologue.

Personally, I find that more frightening than the odious manhattanite and his ego.  You don't.

There it is.

Personally, I find them equally frightening, in different ways. 

Mr. Weld's description of Trump is spot-on and demonstrably true.  The idea of Trump -- behaving as he does and would continue to do -- trying to deal with a serious crisis involving Russia or China is quite simply horrifying.

Hillary Clinton's record of extreme failure as Secretary of State shows what we can expect from her in such situations, too -- and that's horrifying, in a different way.

The best we could hope for in either case would be the quick replacement by Pence or Kaine, respectively....

Offline skeeter

One of the reasons I decided I'm #NeverHillary is her advocacy, along with McCain, Graham etc and probably Obama, of a no-fly zone in Syria. I can't think of a faster way to involve America in a shooting war with Russia.

In fact Trump's statements on Syria policy make far more practical sense & are less frightening than do Hillary's.

Offline r9etb

One of the reasons I decided I'm #NeverHillary is her advocacy, along with McCain, Graham etc and probably Obama, of a no-fly zone in Syria. I can't think of a faster way to involve America in a shooting war with Russia.

Which is one of the reasons why pretty much everybody on this forum is #NeverHillary.  Her record as SoS of leaving chaos in her wake is a reasonable predictor of future performance.

In fact Trump's statements on Syria policy make far more practical sense & are less frightening than do Hillary's.

The problem isn't necessarily what Trump says (although it often is...).  The problem is how Trump behaves.  Consider: Clinton's campaign has had tremendous success in putting pressure on Trump, in the always-rewarded hope that he'll react with wild accusations and idiotic statements. 

Putin and others would do the same thing to Trump, in very much the same manner that they have goaded Obama into doing and saying stupid things.  Except Trump is prone to the hysterical lashings-out; and the thought of him conducting foreign policy via 3am tweet-storms is too awful to imagine.

geronl

The message is spot-on

Trumpers will attack the messenger.

Offline LottieDah

I agree with Gov. Weld.   Hillary may be "frightening", but not in the existential way that Trump is.   His obvious  mental instability is what compels me to vote against my party and my political self-interest.   We can survive corrupt.  We may not be able to survive bat-sh!t crazy. 

You are correct.  Trump is bat-sh!t crazy.  The devil you know (Hillary Clinton) is better than devil you don't know(Donald Trump).  P.S. I am not voting for either of them.

Offline bolobaby

Look at the reprehensible way TPM is spinning Weld's statement:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/bill-weld-tells-voters-pick-clinton-over-trump

At NO point does Weld "admit defeat" or say "pick Hillary." He simply lays out the obvious fact that Trump is not suitable for the presidency.

Weld should sue the pants off TPM. He is being blatantly misrepresented and there is a clear case of damage if it cost him even ONE vote.

(Oh, and I should point out that the Trumpettes will spin this similarly. Johnson/Weld is the option being implied here, NOT Hillary, but those Trumpettes, and TPM apparently, LOVE those false dichotomies. They make me sick.)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 08:00:39 pm by bolobaby »
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Night Hides Not

Here's some news for you: seems you're shy a couple.

Feel free to stay in the Trump safe space if that's all you have to offer.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

You are correct.  Trump is bat-sh!t crazy.  The devil you know (Hillary Clinton) is better than devil you don't know(Donald Trump).  P.S. I am not voting for either of them.

It's down to corrupt or crazy. The joke's on us.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline skeeter

There are many more reasons to be #NeverHillary. My list is pages long and starts with her support on abortion.

But, to suggest that trump has even the foggiest idea of what is happening in the Middle East and specifically in Syria is a walk in fantasy-land. He doesn't know the names of even a few of the groups involved there. His vocabulary and insight is basically ISIS is bad and Russia is helping us defeat ISIS. He doesn't have a clue, as anyone listening to him discuss the Middle East can tell in millisecond.

Honestly, there doesn't appear to be any correlation between success in foreign policy and 'knowledge' of the names of groups in the area. If I thought there was I'd have to vote for madame secretary.

I would be quite happy with a president who's foreign policy was informed simply by this country's interests. Not to say this is Trump but it certainly isn't Hillary.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 08:20:43 pm by skeeter »

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
And some are just blind.

Well, with all due respect,  aside from disagreeing strongly with some of the stipulated "facts" of your indictment, I more emphatically and urgently disagree with the basic premise of your purport - that one may accurately predict someone's overt behavior based upon their verbal behavior. Psychologists who study such things (criminal profilers and corporate HR managers examining senior executive candidates, for instance) as a principle's likely reactive adaptations to high stress or hostility (my father was a criminal psychologist) often must take into account many different factors through research into historical behavior with similar context. Verbal behavior (what someone says) is not often a central or dominant factor in making that assessment. Overt actions are infinitely more significant in making that sort of conjecture.

One does not become a multi billionaire by displaying highly capricious, erratic or reckless behavior in relation to stress / confrontations during protracted adversarial conflict. Outside of military combat, there are few areas of human endeavor in which a person will be tested more-similarly than in big business/high finance dealings. If one can succeed in situations involving the latter, they are likely to succeed in the former.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 08:47:53 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline skeeter

Which is one of the reasons why pretty much everybody on this forum is #NeverHillary.  Her record as SoS of leaving chaos in her wake is a reasonable predictor of future performance.

I'm sure they are. Many just haven't come to grips with the fact that there is only ONE WAY to avoid a Clinton administration at this point.

geronl

I'm sure they are. Many just haven't come to grips with the fact that there is only ONE WAY to avoid a Clinton administration at this point.

Voting for the Constitution Party would do it.

Offline skeeter

Voting for the Constitution Party would do it.

That would be making a personal statement. It would not help us avoid a Clinton administration. There is only one way to do that.

I made my personal statement during the primaries - I went with the only candidate who I felt respected the Constitution - and my team got smoked by the low-road campaign of Donald Trump.

What I'm engaged in now is plain old damage control.

Which is harder than doing what I feel like doing, believe me.

geronl

That would be making a personal statement. It would not help us avoid a Clinton administration. There is only one way to do that.

Nope, Trump is a twin of Clinton. No real difference between them.

Yes, I personally have overwhelming hatred for Trump. I really wouldn't mind him falling off his tower.

Offline skeeter

Nope, Trump is a twin of Clinton. No real difference between them.

Yes, I personally have overwhelming hatred for Trump. I really wouldn't mind him falling off his tower.

Me neither.

AFTER he's elected.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Me neither.

AFTER he's elected.

Well, having Pence as president might be a good thing that's true. But the frivolous vicious comments are really wearing thin. The term "cretinous" comes to mind. 
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline skeeter

Well, having Pence as president might be a good thing that's true. But the frivolous vicious comments are really wearing thin. The term "cretinous" comes to mind.

Opinion and sense of humor noted.

Lame insult ignored.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 09:08:23 pm by skeeter »