Author Topic: 'The Walking Dead' Premiere Didn't Go Down Well With Conservative Groups  (Read 20310 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: 'The Walking Dead' Premiere Didn't Go Down Well With Conservative Groups
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 01:52:55 pm »

The Bible thumpers are worse than the Trumpkins IMO...

Bible Thumpers?   Sounds like something a liberal would say.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 02:24:38 pm »
I gotta jump in here. First off it was the "Hays" act, not Hayes, named after William Hays. He was head of the Motion Pictures Association. Secondly it only lasted 4 years after talking pictures were introduced. It was such a disaster because no one adhered to it and a lot of early 30's films were full of sex, drugs and other things you are bashing now. In 1934 the Association enacted the Production Codes that lasted until the late 60's.

Mayer had nothing to do with the code system at any point along the line. The code when enacted was dumb as hell. It was in the code that every bad guy in the movie needed to be punished. It was in the code that married people needed to be in separate beds. The whole thing was absurd and made movies so boring that Hollywood was a shambles by the 60's and most movie production was done in Europe. Remember the Spaghetti style movies?

Thanks for the correction.  My information was obviously only partial and partly incorrect.

Nonetheless, the movies in the (later) 30's were cleaned up and are still great entertainment.  As I said earlier, as a fan of great musicals, the 30's were the best of the best, with Fred and Ginger, Nelson and Jeanette.

There are a whole lot of people who are grateful for the 'censorship' that allow us to thoroughly enjoy movies without offense.

btw, the so-called "sophisticated" early 30's musicals (with Maurice Chevalier particularly) were dopey and Jr High silly in trying to be dirty.

They got MUCH better when they clamped down on the childish innuendo.

JMHO......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 02:25:51 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Who is telling you that you have to make your 4 year old granddaughter watch it?

You have every right to determine what you and your family CAN watch.

You have NO right to tell others what THEIR families will not be ALLOWED to watch.

If it were otherwise,your local government could legally tell you that you and your family MUST convert to Islam and make mandatory prayers daily and attend services at a local Mosque.

You can't have it both ways. Any government that has the authority to force people to obey YOUR religious viewpoints and customs also has the right to tell YOU to obey the religious viewpoints of Islam.

Be careful what  you ask for lest you get it.
I fail to see where I called to ban it. Oh, I didn't.

I don't want the government involved. I would like for the ads for the show to be run when the little urchins are in bed, not three thirty in the afternoon. And that goes for some of the other age inappropriate trailers on the tube, too. That's something that can be done while the government is off picking it's collective nose as far as I am concerned. Why does doing something that should be common sense have to have a frigging law?

BTW, I have told local government to go piss up a rope before, I reckon it'll happen again.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 02:27:31 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 02:33:47 pm »
I hate to tell these conservative groups, but what's going on now in TWD is minor compared to what it will be like if SHTF. I understand there needs to be some kind of level of decency, but what they portray is well within context.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 02:36:55 pm »
I hate to tell these conservative groups, but what's going on now in TWD is minor compared to what it will be like if SHTF. I understand there needs to be some kind of level of decency, but what they portray is well within context.
I think it is just prep for the meltdown anyway. But no amount of teevee will ever prep someone for the smell of either gore or decaying flesh.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2016, 02:41:47 pm »
Thanks for the correction.  My information was obviously only partial and partly incorrect.

Nonetheless, the movies in the (later) 30's were cleaned up and are still great entertainment.  As I said earlier, as a fan of great musicals, the 30's were the best of the best, with Fred and Ginger, Nelson and Jeanette.

There are a whole lot of people who are grateful for the 'censorship' that allow us to thoroughly enjoy movies without offense.

btw, the so-called "sophisticated" early 30's musicals (with Maurice Chevalier particularly) were dopey and Jr High silly in trying to be dirty.

They got MUCH better when they clamped down on the childish innuendo.

JMHO......

You may like those movies, but the public tired of them after 20 years of saccharine fluff. I don't have a problem with a ratings system to know what you are about to see, but censorship is a loser whenever it is enacted. 

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2016, 02:47:14 pm »

The Bible thumpers are worse than the Trumpkins IMO...
I'm just a "clinger"...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2016, 02:49:30 pm »
I'm not kidding.  Hayes Act.  Cleaned up Hollywood.  Self imposed.

And it resulted in good, quality movies that everyone can watch.  <<

@musiclady

Yeah,and killed every bit of creativity while pleasing the "Church Ladies of the world" and no one else.

Not to mention what it did to comedy.

>>Some day you'll understand that we're not all the same... <<

YOU are telling ME this??????

>> and being different doesn't make us stupid.<<

Nor does it make us evil.

>>I don't anticipate being alive for that day, but I hope it will happen sometime soon....... for YOUR sake.<<

PLEASE give that phony piety a rest. You care nothing about anyone but yourself and what YOU want,or you wouldn't be trying to force censorship off on the rest of us.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2016, 02:52:31 pm »

The younger generation has no use for the Jesus people, believe me. They're tired of wedge issues.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2016, 02:56:42 pm »
I'm hopelessly out of it, I guess. Never had any interest in seeing this series. Since "Person of Interest" ended, there's no TV series anywhere that Mr. M and I watch, except for NYPD Blue reruns and Barnwood Builders.  :laugh:

@mountaineer

It had already been airing for several years before I ever tuned in to see if I could understand why so many people liked it. I do NOT go for horror movies,and being afraid of monsters that can only shamble along as 1 MPH,can't climb,have no brains,no defense,and growl to warn you they are coming made no sense at all.

Then I watched the first episode and figured out the zombies were just a "tool" to sell a show about survival after "The World As We Know It Comes To An End",and it clicked. It's a first rate series about survival,the sacrifices that will have to be made,the changes in thinking that have to be made to survive,and about how people from different backgrounds and cultures will have to come together to form a new society if any of them want to survive.

They could have used a giant Asteroid crashing into the Earth as a plot anchor if they had wanted,but that type of thing had been done several times before,so I guess they settled on Zombies to pull in the young crowd and to be different.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2016, 02:58:35 pm »

@driftdiver

How old are you,12? That has to be one of the most juvenile attacks I have seen.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 03:05:07 pm »
I fail to see where I called to ban it. Oh, I didn't.

I don't want the government involved. I would like for the ads for the show to be run when the little urchins are in bed, not three thirty in the afternoon. And that goes for some of the other age inappropriate trailers on the tube, too. <<

I see and understand your point,or would if  you had written 7 PM. Nothing is on in the afternoons buy those dreary wimmins programs like soap operas and "you go,gurl!" shows. I would rather have teeth pulled than watch any of them,and can't imagine a child watching any of them unless forced to watch.

Or a 4 year old understanding what they were seeing and hearing if they were forced to watch. I don't even see  how adults can stand to watch that crap.

>>That's something that can be done while the government is off picking it's collective nose as far as I am concerned. Why does doing something that should be common sense have to have a frigging law? <<

Best argument against official censorship I have ever seen.  If YOU don't want to watch something,don't watch it. If YOU don't want YOUR children watching something,don't let them watch it. See how simple that is,and it doesn't involves the government or the Mrs Grundy's of the world at all.

Offline Hurricane Andrew

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2016, 03:05:38 pm »
Seriously to all you Ned Flanders types out there, do you not know what this show is about? And to think, some of these people let their little kids watch it then complained about the content? Even my wife wouldn't watch this episode.
Totally agree.  It's clear what the content is.  The outrage reminds me of Tipper Gore and the PMRC back in the day.
There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2016, 03:06:20 pm »
You may like those movies, but the public tired of them after 20 years of saccharine fluff. I don't have a problem with a ratings system to know what you are about to see, but censorship is a loser whenever it is enacted.

:amen:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2016, 03:09:22 pm »

The younger generation has no use for the Jesus people, believe me. They're tired of wedge issues.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Not just the younger generation. There are a BUNCH of geezers like me that are as fed up with that form of Nazism as they are every other form of Nazism.

Remember stupid crap like "Blue Laws" telling us what we could and could not buy on Sundays,and even telling us that what we COULD be ALLOWED to buy could only be bought after Church hours had ended?

I remember one example where you were allowed to buy beer after 2 PM,but not allowed to buy dog food until Monday.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:10:22 pm by sneakypete »

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2016, 03:51:45 pm »

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Yes, its been the same story for 2000 years.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2016, 03:54:07 pm »
@driftdiver

How old are you,12? That has to be one of the most juvenile attacks I have seen.

@sneakypete

Yes of course this is a touchy subject for you.  Its far less juvenile then calling religious people "bible thumpers".

Until recently the only people in a political realm who have been insulting and otherwise attacking Christian "bible thumpers" have been the liberals. 

So ya see its not a juvenile attack, its factual.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2016, 03:58:32 pm »

True, but since the 60's the Younger Generation has pretty much been full of crap, sucking up and spewing out the catechism of liberal religious zealotry all over America, so there's a little pot-kettle-black going on with that.

Alot of that hate is pent up frustration from not being able to butcher right wingers like they did in the good old days of Stalin, Mao, and the gang. They get mad because right wingers and Jesus people refuse to comply with their decadent pop culture that they want to shove down our throat.

Which is also why I have guns.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:58:57 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2016, 04:07:52 pm »
Alot of that hate is pent up frustration from not being able to butcher right wingers like they did in the good old days of Stalin, Mao, and the gang.

No, they just beat us at the polls, repeatedly, since 1992 or so.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2016, 04:13:24 pm »

There have been wedge issues as long as there has been politics. To think otherwise is Pollyanna bullshit.

Offline chae

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2016, 04:18:03 pm »
Best part of that show in the second season was Dale getting eaten.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2016, 04:55:30 pm »

Please name one Christian (Bible thumper) who would rather center his/her life around pleasing the younger generation than Jesus (their savior). If you do come up with any names, I'd strongly recommend that they get themselves into the Word and into a discipleship class, because such people would obviously have zero maturity in their faith. If they truly are Christians.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

geronl

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2016, 05:17:09 pm »
Just like Trumpers are shocked, people are shocked when people actually do or say conservative things.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2016, 05:27:53 pm »
@sneakypete

@driftdiver

Yes of course this is a touchy subject for you.  Its far less juvenile then calling religious people "bible thumpers".<<

WHY? That's what they/you are. If  you don't  like it,quit thumping on your bible and demanding we all live according to the dictates in it.

>>Until recently the only people in a political realm who have been insulting and otherwise attacking Christian "bible thumpers" have been the liberals.  <<

That tells me that either you haven't been paying much attention,or that the left (They are NOT "liberal" in ANY sense of the word) isn't always wrong.

So ya see its not a juvenile attack, its factual.<<

No,it was juvenile.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 05:28:32 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2016, 05:31:01 pm »
True, but since the 60's the Younger Generation has pretty much been full of crap, sucking up and spewing out the catechism of liberal religious zealotry all over America, so there's a little pot-kettle-black going on with that.

Alot of that hate is pent up frustration from not being able to butcher right wingers like they did in the good old days of Stalin, Mao, and the gang. They get mad because right wingers and Jesus people refuse to comply with their decadent pop culture that they want to shove down our throat.

Which is also why I have guns.

@Free Vulcan

Just how freaking old are you that you can call a generation of people now eligible for  Social Security "The Younger Generation"? Younger than what,dirt?

BTW,I have guns also.