Author Topic: How the Heck Did Black Widow Spider DNA Get Inside a Virus?  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
How the Heck Did Black Widow Spider DNA Get Inside a Virus?
« on: October 13, 2016, 11:49:53 pm »
How the Heck Did Black Widow Spider DNA Get Inside a Virus?
Charles Q. Choi Live Science Contributor,LiveScience.com 10/13/2016
Scientists have found some toxic DNA lurking inside a virus that infects bacteria. In addition to its own genes, the virus holds a gene for black widow spider venom and DNA from other animals, the researchers found. The findings suggest that either the virus snagged this foreign genetic material or that these other animals have stolen DNA from the virus, the researchers said.

Future research could find that such swapping across domains of life, from the most complex to the most ancient, is more common than previously thought, scientists say.

Stealing DNA

Viruses infect all three domains of the tree of life. The most complex forms of life on Earth — including animals, plants and fungi — belong to the domain Eukaryota, whose cells possess nuclei. The other two domains include the prokaryotes, the earliest forms of life — single-celled microbes that lack nuclei. There are two prokaryotic domains — the familiar Bacteria, as well as Archaea, which includes microorganisms that thrive in harsh environments such as hot springs and underground petroleum deposits....
As Spock might say: Fascinating.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: How the Heck Did Black Widow Spider DNA Get Inside a Virus?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 12:02:30 am »
The mechanism of how a virus can pick up and drop off DNA is fairly easy to understand - basically if the viral DNA gets inserted and breaks a STOP codon, replication of the viral DNA happens to the next STOP codon, adding a chunk of host DNA. Whether it's an active gene sequence that gets added or just junk is totally random though.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 12:06:46 am »
The mechanism of how a virus can pick up and drop off DNA is fairly easy to understand - basically if the viral DNA gets inserted and breaks a STOP codon, replication of the viral DNA happens to the next STOP codon, adding a chunk of host DNA. Whether it's an active gene sequence that gets added or just junk is totally random though.

Of course.

Everyone knows that. :terror:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 12:09:38 am »

:tongue2:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 11:47:35 am »

:tongue2:

Maybe it isn't random. There are enough viruses they can throw billions at a cause without blinking. I believe they have a master plan. They have let humans attain a level where we can battle them. I have noticed yuge numbers of people who appear to be in a persistent vegetative state. I conclude viruses are turning people into plants. A "Dem plant" is a fine example.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-virus-that-makes-us-less-intelligent-has-been-discove-1656793377
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 01:27:41 pm »
My guess would be that the DNA exchange goes both ways:  virii grab useful DNA from time to time, probably as a result of the fact that the virus commandeers a cell's replication machinery to build new viruses; if some of the host cell's RNA is fortuitously floating around, it might get incorporated into the viruses DNA.  Similarly, if a virus invades a cell but isn't successful in completely commandeering the cell's machinery, and if the cell manages to defend itself, then the viruses DNA gets stranded in the cell and, again, might be incorporated into the cell's own DNA by happenstance.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 03:54:20 pm »
It's incredible the amount of data that goes into life.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 04:00:42 pm »
It's incredible the amount of data that goes into life.

It's a fascinating discipline, and will be where much of the economic growth comes from over the next few centuries, IMO.

geronl

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 07:20:41 pm »
strange

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 07:26:39 pm »
Viral cross-species DNA is actually pretty common. It is one of those reasons I have a sad laugh at anti-GMO activists who claim that doesn't happen in nature when in fact, it happens all the time.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 01:13:30 am »
My guess would be that the DNA exchange goes both ways:  virii grab useful DNA from time to time, probably as a result of the fact that the virus commandeers a cell's replication machinery to build new viruses; if some of the host cell's RNA is fortuitously floating around, it might get incorporated into the viruses DNA.  Similarly, if a virus invades a cell but isn't successful in completely commandeering the cell's machinery, and if the cell manages to defend itself, then the viruses DNA gets stranded in the cell and, again, might be incorporated into the cell's own DNA by happenstance.

Oh, it does, constantly. The fact that viral DNA becomes a permanent part of the host DNA is the foundation of gene therapy using viral vectors. While the individual odds of such a transfer happening in the wild are low, the numbers involved make it almost certain to occur during any infection.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 09:05:52 pm »
Oh, it does, constantly. The fact that viral DNA becomes a permanent part of the host DNA is the foundation of gene therapy using viral vectors. While the individual odds of such a transfer happening in the wild are low, the numbers involved make it almost certain to occur during any infection.

One wonders how nematode DNA got into Trump and Clinton.  :silly:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 12:23:58 am »
One wonders how nematode DNA got into Trump and Clinton.  :silly:

Note to self. DO NOT drag your butt across the carpet after the dog.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 06:01:51 pm »
Viral cross-species DNA is actually pretty common. It is one of those reasons I have a sad laugh at anti-GMO activists who claim that doesn't happen in nature when in fact, it happens all the time.

Not really. Though some anti-GMO concerns are unfounded to a large degree (based on ignorance, not information) there is a great deal of evidence that it is foolish to trust Monsanto and the government lackeys who rubber stamp their excursions into experimental science disguised as mundane industrial applications of practicality.

Here are a few of responsible objections:

1) DNA is not fully understood. There is evidence that telomeres once thought to be inert are actually active on the DNA molecule, and that there is an additional dimension of "language" in the encoding that we have not been reading. In essence, this suggests that while we have been playing two-dimensional chess with DNA, Nature has been playing in 3-D. This means expressions of active proteins and other manifestations of DNA in the environment are potentially being invoked without any notion whatsoever of the nature or magnitude of the effects on the organism or on the larger biosphere.     

2) Ordinary DNA mutation happens at an infinitely slower pace in nature than in genetic engineering. The changes that are being manifested through guided, purposeful DNA modification would generally not normally occur in less than a period of centuries or millennia. It is not possible to monitor nor predict peripheral effects of rapid changes to the DNA of living things in the environment. Even worse, once introduced, it is impossible to recall changes  - they become permanent. Once introduced, those changes are eternal. Living organisms cannot be "edited" from the biosphere the way programming errors are debugged from software. 

3) Multinational corporations do not have a good track record on responsible stewardship of technology. Dr. Michael Crichton spent much time in the last years of his life speaking on the topic of licentiousness of multinational corporations in regard to technology (medical, pharmaceutical and otherwise) and the dangers of making assumptions about manageability of often inconceivably complex homeostatic systems. Jurassic Park and other works by Crichton dramatize this issue by demonstrating how the hubris of money-incentivized corporations enabled by willing governments greedy for power and tax revenue, encourage the public to turn a blind eye to reckless behavior on the parts of wielders of new technology who essentially bribe or intimidate people into silence about problems / dangers because of avarice and ambition.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:17:23 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)