Author Topic: I Was Wrong About Donald Trump But It’s Not My Fault  (Read 5596 times)

geronl

Re: I Was Wrong About Donald Trump But It’s Not My Fault
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2016, 06:15:23 pm »
I never said I was better than anyone else.

I just said Trumpers are likely mentally ill.

There is a difference.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2016, 06:21:30 pm »
Shame on you. He's virtue signalling, something you aren't supposed to notice when he does it.

Silly rabbit,  I am not the moralizer here.   I admit to being a flawed man who is currently supporting another flawed man because the alternative is so much worse. 

I am pointing out "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"

Noticing "when he does it"  is projection on your part.   I'm not signalling virtue,  i'm signalling common sense. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2016, 06:21:56 pm »

I am beginning to see the merit of hanging around here just to piss certain people off.   
That's what we love about you.

They shall lick the dust like a serpent, they shall move out of their holes like worms of the earth: they shall be afraid of the Lord our God, and shall fear because of thee. Micah 7:17
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2016, 07:20:17 pm »
That's what we love about you.

They shall lick the dust like a serpent, they shall move out of their holes like worms of the earth: they shall be afraid of the Lord our God, and shall fear because of thee. Micah 7:17

Whats funny is he doesn't even realize all he does is serve as a bad example to springboard off.  Granny always said everyone had a purpose.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2016, 07:22:12 pm »

Silly rabbit,  I am not the moralizer here.   I admit to being a flawed man who is currently supporting another flawed man because the alternative is so much worse. 

I am pointing out "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"

Noticing "when he does it"  is projection on your part.   I'm not signalling virtue,  i'm signalling common sense.

Wrapping yourself in the words of the Lord is not signalling virtue.

O- kay.

*backs away slowly*
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2016, 07:30:56 pm »
I don't think any in the field were ready for the Trump onslaught. There has been some bare knuckle mudslinging politics over the years, but this was unprecedented in modern memory.

It just isn't done. It isn't wise, because you would inevitably wind up right where we are now - hopelessly divided.
Trump won the primary by ruthlessly slandering his opponents, which pissed off absolutely everyone. not one side, or two... ALL sides are against him. His lying assaults in the primary voided any chance of victory in the general.

That is not a formula for winning.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2016, 07:38:15 pm »
He threatened to run as an independent.  The GOP remembered how Ross Perot split the GOP vote in 1992 and thought that, if they co-opted Trump into the Republican primaries, one of their 17 candidates would beat him.  That would have folded the Trump voter back into the GOP by the end of the primaries and stopped another Perot-like split.

They did not expect Trump to beat out their candidates.

Baloney.  They sat back and watched Trump destroy 'their' candidates one by one and did nothing to back any of them.  Once it came down to just three, they continued to do nothing.  They kept Kasich in to take votes away from Cruz.  They would rather have the Trump/Clinton tag team, that way corruption continues as normal among the cartel in D.C.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

HonestJohn

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2016, 07:51:38 pm »
Baloney.  They sat back and watched Trump destroy 'their' candidates one by one and did nothing to back any of them.  Once it came down to just three, they continued to do nothing.  They kept Kasich in to take votes away from Cruz.  They would rather have the Trump/Clinton tag team, that way corruption continues as normal among the cartel in D.C.

I'm talking about the start of the primary campaign season and you somehow conflate that with the near end of the primaries?!?

How'd you manage that?

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2016, 08:09:14 pm »
Wrapping yourself in the words of the Lord is not signalling virtue.

Didn't Satan quote scripture?   

O- kay.

*backs away slowly*

Well for a bit of pithy wisdom from a bit lower ranking authority, I give you St. Ambrose:   

“When I am at Rome, I fast on Saturday; when I am at Milan I do not. Follow the custom of the Church where you are.”

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2016, 08:16:22 pm »
It just isn't done. It isn't wise, because you would inevitably wind up right where we are now - hopelessly divided.
Trump won the primary by ruthlessly slandering his opponents, which pissed off absolutely everyone. not one side, or two... ALL sides are against him. His lying assaults in the primary voided any chance of victory in the general.

I agree.  I've said repeatedly that Trump cheated.   He went too far in maligning a good man,  and he would not have won had he not used this vile tactic.  (And had the media not helped him do it.)   

I warned others at Free Republic not to give in to the mudslinging and hatred directed at Ted Cruz.  I told them Ted Cruz is the only one who has fought for us,  and who fought against everyone to do the right thing,  and we should not now reward someone who hasn't fought for us and only recently claimed to be on our side.   

But they did not listen.   

That remains to be seen.   I didn't think Thad Cochran running racist attack ads against his base in Mississippi would win,   but it did.   

So viciously attacking your primary opponent is definitely not a formula for winning in normal circumstances,  but these are very unusual times and we now have a majority of people who were seemingly never taught proper ethics. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2016, 08:20:08 pm »

And I think this is also accurate.   The "establishment"  couldn't make up their mind which one of the two "outsiders"  they hated more,   and so they didn't throw their lot in with Cruz until it was too late to do him any good.   In fact,  there was so much anger at the "establishment"  that it may have done Cruz some actual harm when they came out in support of him.    I know a bunch of freepers cited this as evidence that Cruz was "no good."   That he was an "establishment"  tool.   

This was a very anti-establishment year.   

Also Kaisch was always an @$$hole for staying in long past the time it was clear he could not possibly win.   

— Lord Melbourne —

geronl

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2016, 08:24:01 pm »

That and he is just awful at pretending to be any kind of conservative.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2016, 12:46:02 am »
Is it just me or do you find it kinda distasteful for a Trump supporter to start quoting Bible verses as us?
BFAC flashbacks from TOS, but otherwise, no.

Matt 24:5
For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2016, 12:55:14 am »

And I think this is also accurate.   The "establishment"  couldn't make up their mind which one of the two "outsiders"  they hated more,   and so they didn't throw their lot in with Cruz until it was too late to do him any good.   In fact,  there was so much anger at the "establishment"  that it may have done Cruz some actual harm when they came out in support of him.    I know a bunch of freepers cited this as evidence that Cruz was "no good."   That he was an "establishment"  tool.   
Yet one of the first things I noticed about them, was that they cited that Cruz didn't ''get along well' with the Republicans in DC. Well, he definitely didn't at times because he was bucking the very establishment he was accused of being part of. Yes, the Trump camp had that cake and ate it, too.

This was a very anti-establishment year.   
It still is if you won't vote for this crap, from either Democrat or Republican. If you vote for it, it will continue, you legitimize it.
Also Kaisch was always an @$$hole for staying in long past the time it was clear he could not possibly win.
I agree. Kasich had no way to get the nomination, and by staying in denied Cruz a chunk of anti-Trump votes which may have been enough to make a difference. In effect, he helped Trump, which told me the GOPee was more afraid of Cruz than they were of Trump, or they would have told Kasich to pull out.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis