Author Topic: Re: The *OFFICIAL* TBR Recipe Thread  (Read 91346 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: The *OFFICIAL* TBR Recipe Thread
« Reply #300 on: January 29, 2021, 02:32:11 am »
Louisiana Cheese Fries with Crayfish and Gravy

In chef Kelly English's Southern twist on 'poutine Canadienne', the fries are topped with spicy pimento cheese, andouille gravy and crawfish, crab or shrimp.

Kelly English   |   October 2013

Ingredients

Pimento Cheese

• 1 red bell pepper

• 1 jalapeño

• 1 pound white cheddar cheese (3 /4 cups shredded)

• ¼ cup mayonnaise

• 2 tablespoons sour cream

• ½ tablespoon cilantro (chopped)

• ½ tablespoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed)

• â…› teaspoon cayenne pepper

• Kosher salt

• Freshly ground pepper

Andouille Gravy

• 1 tablespoon canola oil

• ½ pound andouille sausage (cut into 1/4-inch dice)

• ¾ cup onion (finely chopped)

• â…“ cup green bell pepper (finely chopped)

• ½ tablespoon garlic (minced)

• 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

• ¼ cup tomato (chopped)

• 1 ½ cups chicken stock

• ¼ cup scallion (thinly sliced)

• Kosher salt

Poutine

• 4 cups french fries (cooked)

• ½ pound crayfish tails, jumbo lump crabmeat or chopped shrimp (cooked and shelled)

Directions

Make the Pimento Cheese
  • Roast the red pepper and jalapeño directly over a gas flame or under a preheated broiler, turning, until charred all over. Transfer the red pepper and jalapeño to a large bowl, cover tightly with plastic and let cool for 15 minutes. Peel, seed and stem the red pepper and jalapeño, then cut them into 1/4-inch dice.

• In a large bowl, mix half of the red pepper with half of the jalapeño; reserve the rest for another use. Add the cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, cilantro, lemon juice and cayenne to the bowl and mix well; season with salt and pepper. Chill for at least 2 hours.

Meanwhile, Make the Gravy
  • In a medium cast-iron skillet, heat the oil. Add the andouille and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the fat is rendered and the sausage is crispy, 8 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, 3 minutes. Stir in the green pepper and garlic and cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant, 2 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and stir until incorporated; add the tomato and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until it starts to break down, 3 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a simmer; cook until the gravy is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 5 minutes. Stir in the scallions and season with salt.

Make the Poutine
  • Preheat the oven to 450°. Spread the french fries on a heatproof serving platter. Spoon the gravy all over the fries and top with the crayfish. Dollop 1 cup of the pimento cheese all over the fries; reserve the rest for another use. Bake the poutine for about 5 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and melted. Serve immediately.

Make Ahead

The pimento cheese and andouille gravy can be refrigerated separately for up to 3 days.

Suggested Pairing

Refreshing, slightly bitter German pilsner.

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/louisiana-cheese-fries-crayfish-and-gravy
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #301 on: January 29, 2021, 03:37:49 pm »
Thanks for posting that in the Kitchen, Captain Klutz!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #302 on: April 02, 2024, 09:53:58 pm »
Grilled Oranges - had this today and it's fantastic
With chicken, with duck, with salad, with anything - it complements any dish
throw some ginger or whatever you want. the recipe is only a guideline.

Grilled Oranges Recipe

Grilled oranges are simple and inexpensive to make, yet the flavor is rich and delicious.

They can be used as a side dish, garnish or even a light dessert. I prefer them cooked on a freshly cleaned grill as to keep the distinct contrast of the citrus and sweet. If you prefer though, you can cook them after you’ve grilled a flavorful meat and they will take on a light smoky flavor.

https://purplekittyyarns.com/orange-recipes/grilled-orange-recipe

Also works with peaches.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 10:09:05 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #303 on: April 02, 2024, 11:01:12 pm »
I'm gonna try to find out what to do with curry tonight... Gonna try it in rice with them southern fried chicken bites I been braggin on over the top...

Dunno... It smells all nutmeggy, and not very hot, like I was expecting.  Dunno what. Never had it before. :shrug:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #304 on: April 02, 2024, 11:03:16 pm »
Louisiana Cheese Fries with Crayfish and Gravy

Crawdad poutine... You're just trying to piss me off now... *SIGH*

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #305 on: April 02, 2024, 11:10:46 pm »
I'm gonna try to find out what to do with curry tonight... Gonna try it in rice with them southern fried chicken bites I been braggin on over the top...

Dunno... It smells all nutmeggy, and not very hot, like I was expecting.  Dunno what. Never had it before. :shrug:

The main ingredient in curry powder is turmeric so you might want to watch that. @roamer_1
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

« Reply #306 on: April 02, 2024, 11:15:16 pm »
The main ingredient in curry powder is turmeric so you might want to watch that. @roamer_1

I know. I can smell it @bigheadfred . And it's definitely on my 'hell no' list of hillbilly voodoo...  I asked at the heart folks and they seemed alright with curried rice and such... just no to turmeric milk and the like (which I love btw)

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #307 on: April 02, 2024, 11:44:49 pm »

There are a lot of different kinds of curry. Mostly Red/Yellow/Green. What kind of curry are you dealing with?
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #308 on: April 02, 2024, 11:49:37 pm »
There are a lot of different kinds of curry. Mostly Red/Yellow/Green. What kind of curry are you dealing with?

Yellow, I'd reckon... Smells kinda nutmeggy...

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #309 on: April 03, 2024, 12:21:06 am »

Homemade Thai Yellow Curry Paste

Homemade thai yellow curry paste with simple ingredients! Roasted garlic and shallots make this recipe extra delicious. Loaded with turmeric, curry powder, lime zest, and lemongrass, this recipe tastes just like your favorite Thai restaurants! Also, you can make a batch and use it for months!

https://littlespicejar.com/homemade-thai-yellow-curry-paste/

you don't have to follow the recipe word for word
but it should give you some ideas how to mix it

Online roamer_1

« Reply #310 on: April 03, 2024, 02:06:04 am »
Homemade Thai Yellow Curry Paste

Homemade thai yellow curry paste with simple ingredients! Roasted garlic and shallots make this recipe extra delicious. Loaded with turmeric, curry powder, lime zest, and lemongrass, this recipe tastes just like your favorite Thai restaurants! Also, you can make a batch and use it for months!

https://littlespicejar.com/homemade-thai-yellow-curry-paste/

you don't have to follow the recipe word for word
but it should give you some ideas how to mix it

Thanks for that @240B ... That seems more what I was expecting, this stuff I have here has no chili zest to it... And maybe it is coriander that I am mistaking for the nutmeggy smell....

A want something pretty hot ... er that's what I was expecting. Maybe this gets hotter than I know, once it is added into something, but just on the tongue, no real heat at all.

Huh. Dunno.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #311 on: April 03, 2024, 11:35:06 am »
I found a fantastic chicken salad recipe and used it to make sandwiches for my club's last meeting.

Added to the cooked, shredded/chopped chicken were some sliced strawberries, sliced/chopped seedless grapes (depending on size), and small dice celery. The dressing was what made it, though: equal parts sour cream and mayonnaise, with garlic powder, s&p, a little lemon juice and chopped fresh basil. I didn't have fresh basil, so I used the squeezable pesto-like stuff from Aldi. Wow, was it good.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 11:42:13 am by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #312 on: April 03, 2024, 11:41:11 am »
My brother makes an amazing chicken salad.

With dried cranberries, slivered almonds and finely chopped celery...mixed with Duke's Mayo.

A bit boring compared to yours, @mountaineer    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online roamer_1

« Reply #313 on: April 03, 2024, 08:58:13 pm »
I found a fantastic chicken salad recipe and used it to make sandwiches for my club's last meeting.

Added to the cooked, shredded/chopped chicken were some sliced strawberries, sliced/chopped seedless grapes (depending on size), and small dice celery. The dressing was what made it, though: equal parts sour cream and mayonnaise, with garlic powder, s&p, a little lemon juice and chopped fresh basil. I didn't have fresh basil, so I used the squeezable pesto-like stuff from Aldi. Wow, was it good.

Ooh! The strawberries are weird... Unexpected. I will try that.

When I was laid up last summer, I practically lived on my daughter's chicken salad. I find the stuff to be addictive  happy77

Offline libertybele

« Reply #314 on: April 03, 2024, 09:34:05 pm »

I love chicken salad; oddly the best chicken salad I've had lately has been hospital chicken salad. I am serious. Even when I'm not the patient, I eat my husband's chicken salad.

I'll have to give this recipe at try. It sounds pretty darn good.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #315 on: April 03, 2024, 09:42:11 pm »
Here's the official recipe. It makes enough for at least 24 slider-sized sandwiches (about 1/3 c. chicken salad per sandwich).

Fruited Chicken Salad

6 c. chopped/shredded cooked chicken
3/4 c. sliced strawberries
1/2 c. (or more) halved or sliced seedless grapes
2-3 celery ribs, chopped fine
1/3 c. chopped pecans (opt.)
--------------
3/4 c. sour cream
3/4 c. mayonnaise
1/3 c. chopped fresh basil (or ~1 T. basil pesto)
2 tsp. lemon juice
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 09:49:10 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

« Reply #316 on: April 03, 2024, 09:47:11 pm »
Thank you @mountaineer   :beer:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #317 on: April 05, 2024, 10:55:34 pm »
Tonight is rotisserie chicken cooked with charred peach bourbon sauce.
Mashed potatoes and Kale on the side.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #318 on: April 09, 2024, 12:29:57 pm »
I loved my Mom's Hamburger/Bean Dish. (Among other things)

Saute one onion with 2 bacon slices chopped small.
Add and brown 1 lb ground beef.
Add
2 1lb cans pork&beans
½ C molasses
½ C catsup
½ t dry mustard
salt
Worchestersire sauce

Mix and pour in casserole dish
Bake @ 375  for ½ hr

I also loved her sauteed  yellow squash and onions.  We had this all the time. I always grew yellow crookneck squash in the back yard.