Author Topic: Re: The *OFFICIAL* TBR Recipe Thread  (Read 92943 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: The *OFFICIAL* TBR Holiday Recipe Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2016, 02:47:15 am »
I ain't been on a turkey hunt in a fair time, But these that we're doin' up tomorrow are wild turkeys... went right from the field to the smoke... then necessarily to the freezer. One's about 15lbs, and the other is about 12...

They'll hit the deep fryer tomorrow, and they'll be just fine...

Happy T-Day!!!
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2016, 02:51:38 am »
The only thing I know about Wild Turkey is it lightens up the night but weighs heavily in the morning.

Shoot, Fred, ain't y'all got turkeys over there?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2016, 02:55:09 am »
Happy T-Day!!!

Yeah, it's comin too late, but I ain't complaining... We were waiting till all our folks had time off, or came home.
Pretty close to 20 around the table...

I am making Kansas Dirt Cake even as we speak (I'm saying its for the grandkids)... Bringing two Punkin pies too, and the sweet potato casserole.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2016, 03:26:28 am »

Shoot, Fred, ain't y'all got turkeys over there?

The wolves ate them.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2016, 03:28:03 am »
Yeah, it's comin too late, but I ain't complaining... We were waiting till all our folks had time off, or came home.
Pretty close to 20 around the table...

I am making Kansas Dirt Cake even as we speak (I'm saying its for the grandkids)... Bringing two Punkin pies too, and the sweet potato casserole.

I made two Punkin pies since I had a Halloween pumpkin left over from Halloween.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2016, 04:01:57 am »
The wolves ate them.

Huh. We still got ours... and we've got wolves too.... Must be something other...  :shrug:

We DO seem to be running out of Chinks though... Dunno why, but they're almost getting rare.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 04:02:50 am by roamer_1 »

Silver Pines

« Reply #156 on: November 28, 2016, 01:47:33 pm »
Strawberry Shortcake? Angel food Cake? German Chocolate Cake? Black Velvet? Pineapple Upside Down Cake? Cheese Cake?  Even Crab Cakes?

There are just too many kinds to flat out not like cake.

@Elderberry
@Unlimited

Wait, black velvet?  Now I have to go google it because it sounds great.

I love cake.   Not fruitcake, though....I'm with most folks here when it comes to candied fruit.

Silver Pines

« Reply #157 on: November 28, 2016, 02:28:44 pm »
I'm curious - how many people are going out for Thanksgiving?

Or ordering ready cooked meals?

We are getting a pre cooked meal this year. It doesn't seem right, somehow.

@Freya

I'm seeing this post of yours kind of late, but it applies to Christmas as well...and I imagine Hanukkah too?

My in laws always hold the holiday get togethers.  They have a big house the whole extended family can rattle around in, and my mother in law just prefers to do it there.  The problem is, she's a perfectionist and she has to make a big production with everything just right, and she wears herself out, even with our help---as much of it as she'll take.  I love her to death but she's never been able to just relax and let someone else do it, and who cares if they mess up.  There have been a couple of times when we all went out to eat instead, and once she had the meal catered.  We could eat PB & J sandwiches and be happy...I think the most important thing is being with family.

MIL had surgery for heart arrhythmia a few months ago...she feels great, but she needs to focus on herself for once in her life, so she and my FIL took off for the beach this Thanksgiving.  They may stay through Christmas.  Whatever we end up doing then will be fine with me.  I was a late baby & only child, so I'm used to small holidays.  The first time I went to Thanksgiving dinner at my husband's grandparents' house (when we were dating) I walked into that noisy packed house and it was culture shock.

I sympathize with you and your mom.  I remember the first Thanksgivings after my father died.  It was very hard.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2016, 03:45:18 pm »
@Freya

I'm seeing this post of yours kind of late, but it applies to Christmas as well...and I imagine Hanukkah too?

My in laws always hold the holiday get togethers.  They have a big house the whole extended family can rattle around in, and my mother in law just prefers to do it there.  The problem is, she's a perfectionist and she has to make a big production with everything just right, and she wears herself out, even with our help---as much of it as she'll take.  I love her to death but she's never been able to just relax and let someone else do it, and who cares if they mess up.  There have been a couple of times when we all went out to eat instead, and once she had the meal catered.  We could eat PB & J sandwiches and be happy...I think the most important thing is being with family.

MIL had surgery for heart arrhythmia a few months ago...she feels great, but she needs to focus on herself for once in her life, so she and my FIL took off for the beach this Thanksgiving.  They may stay through Christmas.  Whatever we end up doing then will be fine with me.  I was a late baby & only child, so I'm used to small holidays.  The first time I went to Thanksgiving dinner at my husband's grandparents' house (when we were dating) I walked into that noisy packed house and it was culture shock.

I sympathize with you and your mom.  I remember the first Thanksgivings after my father died.  It was very hard.

@CatherineofAragon

My sister went to Whole Paycheck (aka Whole Foods) and brought back a turkey breast, gravy, stuffing, potatoes, and pumpkin pie. I brought over Starbucks Thanksgiving blend for the Keurig, and a small centerpiece.

They said the turkey was good but I thought it was over salted and peppered- totally inedible. We watched the dog show from Philly. Mom is thinking about getting a dog for a companion. She's just on the fence because she doesn't know what will happen to it if she goes.

(I said to get a senior dog).

It's a known fact that Jews usually go to Chinese restaurants for Christmas because they were the only ones open back in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s....this year Hanukkah is on Christmas Eve.
(That is why in the movie "A Christmas Story" you see the family eating Chinese on Christmas. Jean Shepard wrote that for his NYC audience I think back when he was on WOR radio)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 03:46:08 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2016, 03:48:01 pm »
What I find interesting is going out to eat on New Years Eve alone. It can actually be fun, if you don't let it get you down. You get all dressed up, and go to a fancy restaurant. Bring a book, and people watch.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2016, 04:04:19 pm »
@CatherineofAragon

It's a known fact that Jews usually go to Chinese restaurants for Christmas because they were the only ones open back in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s....this year Hanukkah is on Christmas Eve.
(That is why in the movie "A Christmas Story" you see the family eating Chinese on Christmas. Jean Shepard wrote that for his NYC audience I think back when he was on WOR radio)

@Freya, I've always wondered where the "Chinese Food at Christmas" came from!  Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2016, 04:13:36 pm »
@Freya, I've always wondered where the "Chinese Food at Christmas" came from!  Thanks for clearing that up for me.

When my sister and I were little we would go out to eat every year on Christmas Day, so my mom would have a day off from cooking. Always Chinese. Japanese never came around til we were in college and by then my father didn't want to try raw fish. Now of course there are Korean and Indian places open. (Oh, I forgot. There is a Vietnamese restaurant that just opened I'm dying to try)

If Hanukkah wasn't around Christmas time, there would be a small present for us (like a coloring book and crayons) at the breakfast table so my folks could sleep in just a little bit longer and my sister and I would entertain ourselves and make ourselves breakfast. (Cold cereal and milk)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 04:17:40 pm by Freya »

Silver Pines

« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2016, 08:19:51 pm »
@CatherineofAragon

My sister went to Whole Paycheck (aka Whole Foods) and brought back a turkey breast, gravy, stuffing, potatoes, and pumpkin pie. I brought over Starbucks Thanksgiving blend for the Keurig, and a small centerpiece.

They said the turkey was good but I thought it was over salted and peppered- totally inedible. We watched the dog show from Philly. Mom is thinking about getting a dog for a companion. She's just on the fence because she doesn't know what will happen to it if she goes.

(I said to get a senior dog).

@Freya

Getting a senior dog might be just the thing.  It's harder for those poor babies to be adopted out, too. 

You could do a lot worse for Christmas than Chinese, IMO.  Put a plate of Szechuan beef in front of me and I'm totally happy.  Who knows, if the usual plans around here end up being changed, we might do it.

Silver Pines

« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2016, 08:23:31 pm »
What I find interesting is going out to eat on New Years Eve alone. It can actually be fun, if you don't let it get you down. You get all dressed up, and go to a fancy restaurant. Bring a book, and people watch.

@Freya

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't much care about New Year's.  I feel like I should be celebrating it, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm celebrating. 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #164 on: December 24, 2016, 02:29:14 am »
@mystery-ak

Tell us how you make your deviled eggs. If you use Mayo, Bah! Humbug!

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #165 on: December 24, 2016, 02:31:32 am »
@mystery-ak

Tell us how you make your deviled eggs. If you use Mayo, Bah! Humbug!

I use mayo...lol....yellow mustard..tabasco and cracked black pepper...I make these for my grandson...which is his fav..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #166 on: December 24, 2016, 02:40:58 am »
I use mayo...lol....yellow mustard..tabasco and cracked black pepper...I make these for my grandson...which is his fav..

I use salad dressing, yellow mustard, and diced sweet pickles.  With a sprinkle of paprika for looks.

Mayo tastes like a tamale to me. Blah.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 02:41:39 am by bigheadfred »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #167 on: December 24, 2016, 02:42:23 am »
Any one have a good sugar cookie recipe?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #168 on: December 24, 2016, 02:54:32 am »

I make these...If you don't have a cookie press use the bottom of a pretty glass dipped in colored sugar

http://www.food.com/recipe/melt-in-your-mouth-sugar-cookies-149068

if you want a good cut out cookie

3 3/4 flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla

mix your sugar, eggs and butter...then all your dry ingred....chill dough long enough to be able to use cookie cutters

bake 6 to 8 min at 400

I then ice with royal icing or you can just use sprinkles

I make about a dozen kind of cookies at Christmas...I have scaled back when I used to make about 20...lo
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #169 on: December 24, 2016, 03:16:28 am »
Just 4U
From my Mom's cook book.

Slice o’ Spice
Bake at 350 for 9-12 min.  Makes 9 doz.
Sift together
3c flour
1t soda
1t cream of tartar
1/2t salt
Cream ½ C butter or oleo and ½ C Crisco in mixing bowl
Gradually add 2 C firmly packed brown sugar, creaming well
Blend in 2 unbeaten eggs and 1 t vanilla
Stir in the dry ingredients.
Add 1 C quick-cooking oats, mix thoroughly.
If desired, chill dough for 1 hr for easy handling
Divide dough into 3 parts.
Shape into rolls 12 in. long
Wrap in foil and chill 5 to 6 hrs or overnight, until firm enough to slice.
Cut into ¼ in slices.
Dip into a mixture of ½ sugar and 4 t cinnamon to coat both sides. Place on greased baking sheets.
Bake at 350 for 9 – 12 minutes.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #170 on: December 24, 2016, 03:27:04 am »
Just 4U
From my Mom's cook book.

I think those should have raisins in them?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #171 on: December 24, 2016, 03:30:46 am »
@mystery-ak
Santa stopped by 2 nights ago. The oldest grand daughter was here. She was kind of suspicious. Told Santa he wasn't fat enough. Santa said he was on a diet so he could eat all those cookies on Christmas and sugar cookies were his fave. So she is coming over tomorrow to make cookies.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #172 on: December 24, 2016, 03:49:06 am »
I think those should have raisins in them?
I think you're onto sumpin. I'll have to try a split batch.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #173 on: December 24, 2016, 03:47:36 pm »
Best. Gingerbread. Recipe. Ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6UpPN0xTDM
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #174 on: December 25, 2016, 03:37:45 pm »
Since we're all kind of stuffed with this here and I never posted the recipe:

Christmas Ham

1 pork shoulder, boned and rolled
1 tbsp each  Mace, Black peppercorns, Allspice.
1 Cinnamon Stick (about 4 inch long)
3 tbsp moscovado sugar (Any dark sugar will do, or molasses if you have it)
4 bottles good dry cider
1 lb coarse sea salt

Rub the pork well with the coarse salt. Sprinkle a thin layer of salt on the bottom of an airtight container, place the pork on the salt, and leave in a cool dark place for 2 days. Once a day pour off the liquid and rub again with salt.

On the third day, mix the spices and cider in a pan with a generous handful of salt, bring to the boil then let cool.
Brush any salt off the pork, pat dry with kitchen paper, then place into another container and pour the cooled pickling mixture over it. Cover and leave in a cool, dark place for a week.

*** Optional Step***

When the ham is ready, place in a saucepan with one large onion and one large carrot. Cover with water, then bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Remove the ham, discard the water and veggies.

This step included for those who have to watch their salt intake. If you do this, bring the veggies and water below to a near boil before re-adding the ham to the pot.

Prepare a pan with 2 carrots, 2 onions and 2 large potatoes, cubed. Add the ham, cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Set the oven to 200C (or whatever it is in geezer measurement). Remove the ham from the broth, place in a roasting pan on a bed of chopped onion, and cook in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove any fat crust from the ham, brush with a glaze of your choice (I use a mix of 1/2 tsp mustard powder, 1 tbsp honey and 1 tbsp maple syrup) and let cook for a further 20 minutes.

Eat.

Editing to add: Do NOT throw away the final boiling liquid. Let it cool, skim it, and it's the best damned base for ham and pea soup you can have.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 04:07:48 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink