Author Topic: Re: The *OFFICIAL* TBR Recipe Thread  (Read 92417 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: The *OFFICIAL* TBR Holiday Recipe Thread
« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2016, 07:34:18 pm »
Anyone done a beer can turkey?  Or maybe it should be called a beer keg turkey?  When I cook a whole chicken this way it's always fantastic.  And I agree eith above, I've never spatchcocked a turkey, but chicken is always moist.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2016, 07:45:21 pm »
Anyone done a beer can turkey?  Or maybe it should be called a beer keg turkey?  When I cook a whole chicken this way it's always fantastic.  And I agree eith above, I've never spatchcocked a turkey, but chicken is always moist.
@LilLamb

We've done beer can chicken before. I had a smoker I could use a water steam bath in the lower part and did a smoked turkey with a beer bath steaming below it. But it was so cold that year after 4-5 hours I put the turkey in the oven to finish the cooking.

I've eaten spatchcocked pigeon. With a wild rice pilaf.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2016, 01:06:00 am »
One of thee worst things about traditional fruitcake is its density.

That's right. It'll do as a railroad tie, in a pinch.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2016, 01:20:11 am »
That's right. It'll do as a railroad tie, in a pinch.

I've heard they have found fruitcake in quantity in ancient shipwrecks in the Mediterranean. Used as ballast. The megalithic builders could carve Andesite easily. With precision. Using massive stones. But they couldn't scratch fruitcake. Fruitcake dulls diamond blades. The Biblical millstone was really a fruitcake. They are using a fruitcake for a bust of obama. Completely dense and useless.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2016, 01:23:10 am »
I've heard they have found fruitcake in quantity in ancient shipwrecks in the Mediterranean. Used as ballast. The megalithic builders could carve Andesite easily. With precision. Using massive stones. But they couldn't scratch fruitcake. Fruitcake dulls diamond blades. The Biblical millstone was really a fruitcake. They are using a fruitcake for a bust of obama. Completely dense and useless.

Now you're catchin on.. LOL!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2016, 01:40:26 pm »
@roamer_1  @Unlimited @Elderberry @Sanguine

One of thee worst things about traditional fruitcake is its density. And I am not a big fan of candied fruit. Here is another recipe for a quick fruit cake or fruit bread. Another from the King Arthur Flour website. BTW, I don't use King Arthur Flour so I ain't putting in a plug for them. I use recipes from anywhere. Mostly Cook's.

http://search.kingarthurflour.com/search?p=R&srid=S1-5DFWP&lbc=kingarthurflour&w=fruit%20cake&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.kingarthurflour.com%2frecipes%2f90-minute-fruitcake-recipe&rk=5&uid=630793351&sid=2&ts=custom&SLIPid=1479663079365&rsc=dKhKumtaE94%3aSq0D&method=and&af=type%3arecipes&isort=score&view=grid

I have some dehydrated cran/strawberries and blueberries and I may give this a go.

But I wouldn't mind taking a look at family fruitcake recipes.
@bigheadfred @Unlimited
My sister sent me pics of the all the fruit cake recipes she found in my Mom's recipe box.

This first one was in there three times. It must be the recipe of the one that I remember.

And  2 more she found

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2016, 01:56:03 pm »
I'm curious - how many people are going out for Thanksgiving?

Or ordering ready cooked meals?

We are getting a pre cooked meal this year. It doesn't seem right, somehow.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2016, 02:01:00 pm »

I have never gone out, and I've only picked up a pre-ordered dinner one time. Never again. No matter for how few, we always cook for Thanksgiving.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2016, 02:04:28 pm »
I'm not a fan of candied fruits either.  It may be a guy thing because it is the men in my family that like the cake.  I'll eat it to be polite and it's okay, but nothing to die for imo.  With that said, I've never been crazy about cake of any kind.  I'm not a cake eater.

Not even a lemon or strawberry soaked pound cake? I love those things.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2016, 02:05:51 pm »

No, everything from scratch.  Large family and we all cook, so it's a part of the celebration.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 02:07:07 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #135 on: November 21, 2016, 02:06:15 pm »
I have never gone out, and I've only picked up a pre-ordered dinner one time. Never again. No matter for how few, we always cook for Thanksgiving.

I understand this year no one in my family feels like celebrating, but last year we went out and it was lovely.

The restaurants that are open are packed. If it was up to me I'd do the whole thing but my folks wanted no fuss so the last few years we went out.

I don't think the pre ordered dinner will be all that good. I hope I'm wrong.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #136 on: November 21, 2016, 02:12:01 pm »
I'm not a fan of candied fruits either.  It may be a guy thing because it is the men in my family that like the cake.  I'll eat it to be polite and it's okay, but nothing to die for imo.  With that said, I've never been crazy about cake of any kind.  I'm not a cake eater.

Strawberry Shortcake? Angel food Cake? German Chocolate Cake? Black Velvet? Pineapple Upside Down Cake? Cheese Cake?  Even Crab Cakes?

There are just too many kinds to flat out not like cake.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #137 on: November 21, 2016, 02:17:58 pm »
I forgot 2 of my favorites. Lemon soaked pound cake and Bourbon Cake.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #138 on: November 21, 2016, 02:38:07 pm »
We did it one year long ago and it was fine.  Different but fine.  Kids missed the leftovers.  I can't remember the reason, but we didn't have time to cook for two days that year.

Last year my Dad was ill.  I saw a groupon for a thanksgiving meal and purchased two.  On Thanksgiving morning I ran all the way to Arlington to pick up the two meals to haul it all back to Mom and Dad.  The restaurant advertised the food as hot and showed a picture of a cooked turkey, dressed, and straight out of the oven.  What I received when I opened one of the bazillion sacks after getting home was a turkey still in the original wrapper.  LOL  I was furious!  Thank goodness the other meal was not turkey and only took an hour to bake.  Every single dish in all the sacks and sacks of food I brought home was frozen.  What was odd about it was that they insisted I pick up Thanksgiving morning, but not too early, so that the food would still be hot for dinner.  The frozen food was a shock.  We will NOT be going back there this year.

My sister is getting it from Whole Paycheck aka Whole Foods. It's supposed to be turkey with all the trimmings for two. I can't hardly eat since my surgery, and my mom's appetite is poor since my father passed.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2016, 03:35:18 pm »
White Fruit Cake

5 large eggs
1/2 lb butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 lb candied cherries
1 lb candied pineapple
4 cups pecans
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp lemon extract

Chop fruit and nuts and dredge in a little of the flour.  Cream butter & sugar.  Add beaten eggs.  Sift flour and baking powder.  Add to butter/egg mixture.  Add vanilla and lemon.  Mix well.  Add fruit and nuts, blend well.  Pour into greased, waxed paper lined 10" tube pan.  Place in COLD oven and bake at 250* for 3 hours.  Cool in pan on rack.  To bake in two 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pans, bake 2 1/2 hours on until done.

These are the directions of a recipe we've had in the family for probably 50 years.  I don't care for it because of the candied fruit, but everyone else in the family likes it.  It's better if you toast a slice in the oven and smear it with butter.

Offline kalee

« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2016, 09:00:51 pm »
We're going out, but will get some smoked turkey from Honey Baked or Dickey's BBQ for sandwiches since there won't be any leftovers.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2016, 12:46:31 am »
I was looking at the prices of nuts, etc. and have decided some of these desserts are kind of expensive. The price of candied fruit had me thinking WHY would anyone pay that much for THAT? A favorite dessert for me is pistachio pudding crepes. Crepes are easy. I liberally coat one side with pudding and roll it up. Throw on some whipped cream and that is it.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2016, 01:08:51 am »
@bigheadfred @Unlimited
My sister sent me pics of the all the fruit cake recipes she found in my Mom's recipe box.
@RoosGirl

One of the ingredients in my grandmothers' fruitcake is brown sugar. I think that really adds to the heaviness. So any recipe without it has to be better.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2016, 11:54:08 pm »
Mr. M and I planned to have TG dinner by ourselves, but then I ran into a friend in the drive-through at the bank (not literally "ran into," just happened to be there at the same time) and he invited us over for Thursday dinner. So we had our own little TG dinner tonight with the dishes the way we like them. I did the cranberry sauce a little differently, and it was pretty good:  fresh cranberries, sugar, a dash of balsamic vinegar, dash of red wine vinegar, tiny pinch of cayenne pepper. Cook till all the berries pop and it thickens.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2016, 12:02:30 am »
Mr. M and I planned to have TG dinner by ourselves, but then I ran into a friend in the drive-through at the bank (not literally "ran into," just happened to be there at the same time) and he invited us over for Thursday dinner. So we had our own little TG dinner tonight with the dishes the way we like them. I did the cranberry sauce a little differently, and it was pretty good:  fresh cranberries, sugar, a dash of balsamic vinegar, dash of red wine vinegar, tiny pinch of cayenne pepper. Cook till all the berries pop and it thickens.

Tonight's "Leftover Night" and we have a delightful repeat of Thursday's feast.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2016, 12:43:27 am »
Tonight's "Leftover Night" and we have a delightful repeat of Thursday's feast.

My good wife announced Wednesday night she had the turkey hawed. A 22 pounder. I asked her about the smoked turkey I got from work. Oh...I want that too.  We have turkey for days.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #146 on: November 27, 2016, 02:07:20 am »
Normally, I go out this weekend and pick up several fresh turkeys to smoke.  It's about the only time I can find fresh (hey, Publix, fresh turkeys you put in the frozen section aren't fresh) birds.  I want fresh, as once you freeze them the cells won't hold in your brine.  The stores are looking to unload them, so I usually find some for $0.39-$0.59/lb.  A vacuum sealer and deep freeze keeps me in turkey for the year, and cooking down the carcasses and making and canning stock provides an easy soup when combined with rice and fresh veggies.

This year, nothing but frozen.  Except for one store with fresh "contains up to 15% of blah, blah, blah" nonsense.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #147 on: November 27, 2016, 02:37:21 am »
I just learned of a local farm that raises, butchers and sells fresh turkeys. Can't wait for next TG!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2016, 02:41:01 am »
Normally, I go out this weekend and pick up several fresh turkeys to smoke.  It's about the only time I can find fresh (hey, Publix, fresh turkeys you put in the frozen section aren't fresh) birds.  I want fresh, as once you freeze them the cells won't hold in your brine.  The stores are looking to unload them, so I usually find some for $0.39-$0.59/lb.  A vacuum sealer and deep freeze keeps me in turkey for the year, and cooking down the carcasses and making and canning stock provides an easy soup when combined with rice and fresh veggies.

This year, nothing but frozen.  Except for one store with fresh "contains up to 15% of blah, blah, blah" nonsense.

I ain't been on a turkey hunt in a fair time, But these that we're doin' up tomorrow are wild turkeys... went right from the field to the smoke... then necessarily to the freezer. One's about 15lbs, and the other is about 12...

They'll hit the deep fryer tomorrow, and they'll be just fine...

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2016, 02:46:41 am »
The only thing I know about Wild Turkey is it lightens up the night but weighs heavily in the morning.