Author Topic: WSJ: The Cheap Moralizing of Never Trump  (Read 67278 times)

Offline r9etb

Re: WSJ: The Cheap Moralizing of Never Trump
« Reply #700 on: October 24, 2016, 07:52:40 pm »
Wrong.  Trump has been horrible in the business world.  He's gone through inherited wealth ... had grandiose ideas... borrowed too much ... refused to pay too many people ... hired too many illegals... numerous bankruptcies hanging creditors out to dry ... record numbers of lawsuits ... started fraudulent money-making schemes as in Trump University, Trump wine, Trump beef... I could go on.

True enough.  But Trump has been very successful in marketing himself -- there's no way he could keep starting then running businesses into the ground without significant investors, and for whatever reason he's always been able to find them.

Trump is very effective at influencing peoples' perceptions of reality, as it applies to him and his enterprises -- whether they've been in business or in politics. 

He does deal with reality; he just doesn't depend upon it.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #701 on: October 24, 2016, 07:56:51 pm »
The first part, "scrap them," could well happen under Trump.  To him, they'd just be "deals," not unlike the sorts of deals he's frequently dissolved through bankruptcy.

Of course, when you're running a country you can't just start over with a new set of patsies.  Or maybe you can, I don't know .... but more likely it ends up starting a war.
Well, we ended up getting out of the Great Depression because of World War II, so that might just be Trump's plan all along: start World War III.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #702 on: October 24, 2016, 08:07:16 pm »
Are you from Texas.  I had to smile at "Ya'll like to wore me out."

Yes, originally.  I lapse into my natural speech patterns sometimes.  Especially when I am tired and under caffinated.  I worked for a fortune 100 company that actually sent me to school to rid me of my regional speech characteristics so they could promote me.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #703 on: October 24, 2016, 08:37:10 pm »
Well, we ended up getting out of the Great Depression because of World War II, so that might just be Trump's plan all along: start World War III.
I disagree. A lot of people say that, but War being good for the economy just doesn't make a lot of sense.
It's a complex issue, but if you are interested, you might check this out:
https://mises.org/library/world-war-ii-did-not-end-great-depression
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #704 on: October 24, 2016, 08:59:43 pm »
Yes, originally.  I lapse into my natural speech patterns sometimes.  Especially when I am tired and under caffinated.  I worked for a fortune 100 company that actually sent me to school to rid me of my regional speech characteristics so they could promote me.

I hate when that happens.  We are losing our regional speech and we will all sound like robots.... or TV announcers.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #705 on: October 24, 2016, 09:00:49 pm »
True enough.  But Trump has been very successful in marketing himself -- there's no way he could keep starting then running businesses into the ground without significant investors, and for whatever reason he's always been able to find them.

Trump is very effective at influencing peoples' perceptions of reality, as it applies to him and his enterprises -- whether they've been in business or in politics. 

He does deal with reality; he just doesn't depend upon it.

Yep!  He deals with the reality that 'there's a sucker born every minute.'
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

geronl

« Reply #706 on: October 24, 2016, 09:09:13 pm »
I disagree. A lot of people say that, but War being good for the economy just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Broken Window Fallacy writ large

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #707 on: October 24, 2016, 09:35:48 pm »
I worked for a fortune 100 company that actually sent me to school to rid me of my regional speech characteristics so they could promote me.

That's a cryin' shame, right there.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #708 on: October 24, 2016, 10:10:40 pm »
Yep!  He deals with the reality that 'there's a sucker born every minute.'

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time."  ~ A. Lincoln.

"All that matters is if you can fool enough of the people for enough of the time...."  ~ D. Trump.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 10:12:11 pm by r9etb »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #709 on: October 24, 2016, 10:38:35 pm »
Hey, I never said it was a GOOD idea!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #710 on: October 24, 2016, 11:09:45 pm »
I hate when that happens.  We are losing our regional speech and we will all sound like robots.... or TV announcers.

Yep.  Losing all the color and character in our speech and writing.  That is why Americans are so charmed by British, Irish and Scotish speech and accents.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #711 on: October 25, 2016, 02:22:30 am »
I had to watch Johnny Carson and use it like Rosetta Stone...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #712 on: October 25, 2016, 03:40:13 am »
I had to watch Johnny Carson and use it like Rosetta Stone...

:silly: :silly:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpLtmt2bMCI
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #713 on: October 25, 2016, 03:45:56 am »

You mean building a whole bunch of stuff and then blowing it up doesn't make use richer?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #714 on: October 25, 2016, 08:46:26 am »

Something people don't realize about economics is how much psychology plays into it. People aren't "machines" who do what they're supposed to like cogs in a wheel.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #715 on: October 25, 2016, 02:30:18 pm »

I still get people that laugh at me when I say I'm fixing to do something.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #716 on: October 25, 2016, 06:17:23 pm »
I still get people that laugh at me when I say I'm fixing to do something.

I was fixin' to say that!

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #717 on: October 25, 2016, 06:19:13 pm »
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time."  ~ A. Lincoln.

Just the ones in the North.   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline r9etb

« Reply #718 on: October 25, 2016, 06:46:06 pm »

Just the ones in the North.

So you're also a neocon.... (federate).  No surprise.

**nononono*

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #719 on: October 25, 2016, 06:55:14 pm »
So you're also a neocon.... (federate).  No surprise.

**nononono*

You'll have to be clearer in your effort to communicate with me.   I do not understand your comment. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline r9etb

« Reply #720 on: October 25, 2016, 07:14:49 pm »

You'll have to be clearer in your effort to communicate with me.   I do not understand your comment.

Back at TOS there was (probably still is) a vocal and silly contingent of posters who rhapsodize about the glories of the Confederate Cause, and who hate Mr. Lincoln with an abiding passion.

I called them "neoconfederates," because I enjoyed the chance to label them "neocons."

Your post about Lincoln and the North (tacit implication: those in the South couldn't be fooled by Lincoln....) -- it reminded me of them.