Author Topic: Thanks to Trump the Democrats Can Take Back Congress, If They Get Their Act Together  (Read 1705 times)

HonestJohn

10/17/2016 06:24 pm ET

Earl Ofari Hutchinson
Author and political analyst

GOP presidential contender Donald Trump has given Democrats something that seemed only the stuff of shop talk, wishful thinking, and even fawn dreams a year ago. That’s a real shot at taking back Congress. First, let’s get the presidential race out of the way. Long before Trump’s campaign came totally discombobulated amidst the sex charge stuff, there was almost no way that he, or any other GOP presidential candidate for that matter, realistically could have won. Clinton had nearly twenty states big, little and mid-sized either locked down, or that solidly tilted toward the Democrats. This gave Clinton more than 200 electoral votes before the first voter punched a ballot ticket. Barring any major Clinton scandal, revelation, near cataclysmic crash of the economy, or 9/11 style terrorist attack on US shores a week before the election, it didn’t require much for her to net the remaining 60 plus electoral votes in other states such as Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Colorado which have solid Democratic numbers and voted for Obama twice. So, that leaves the Senate and the House in play.

This requires grabbing five contested Senate seats from the GOP and keeping the ones that are fairly safely in Democratic hands. In the House it meant taking 30 of the seats that are in play to get full control, or at the very least winning as many of them as possible to dent the GOP House majority. The Senate takeover is eminently doable since the Democratic contenders are either seasoned elected officials, with solid name identification, a solid voter base, financial backing, and a fairly good ground game. The Democratic National Committee and other Democratic funding and organizing committees, are providing solid back up and support to the candidate’s campaigns.

The House is the much tougher nut to crack, since many of the seats appear to be in either lock down or heavily GOP leaning districts. There are reasons this could change. One is Trump. His race baiting, woman bashing, immigrant scapegoating, campaign of vilification and deliberate polarization could radically ramp up the number of independent, and even moderate, centrist Republicans, who defect to the Democratic candidate. Trump almost certainly will energize Democrats to flood the polls to defeat him and in the process boost the vote total for the Democratic congressional challenger.

The most winnable House seats are not in the hard core GOP bastions in the South and the Heartland, but are in Colorado, New Jersey, New York, Virginia, Nevada, and Minnesota that are either Democratic controlled or swing states. The voter demographics in the competitive districts are not top heavy with Trump’s core voter base, namely lower income, blue collar, rural, less educated whites, but are suburban districts with a sizeable number of college degree, or educated, professional, business career voters. They are conservative, and have voted GOP, but the GOP presidential candidate they backed was a traditional GOP candidate such as John McCain or Mitt Romney, not a race baiting, polarizing Trump. The GOP’s nightmare scenario that the Democrats will dent the GOP House majority or upend it has GOP House speaker, Paul Ryan climbing the walls, and doing everything humanly possible to put a Grand Canyon length distance from Trump.

(more here)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Huffington Post.....    **nononono*  :whistle:

Offline Frank Cannon

Huffington Post.....    **nononono*  :whistle:

Can you do more that slam the source and show me where this supposition is wrong? Of course you can't. You are a mindless Trumpette drone.

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/ryan-works-to-protect-gop-majority-in-congress-as-trump-campaign-flails

HonestJohn

Can you do more that slam the source and show me where this supposition is wrong? Of course you can't. You are a mindless Trumpette drone.

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/ryan-works-to-protect-gop-majority-in-congress-as-trump-campaign-flails

It's all a vast left-wing conspiracy to deny the orange one his place!  EVERYONE is in on it!

Their as wacked out as this guy (see attachment).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Huffington Post, are big supporters of the historic home of the Ku Klux Klan, the Democratic Party,  they also promote the abortion genocide of the DNC; killing blacks 5 times the rates of whites.

HonestJohn

Huffington Post, are big supporters of the historic home of the Ku Klux Klan, the Democratic Party,  they also promote the abortion genocide of the DNC; killing blacks 5 times the rates of whites.

I'm glad you realize that it's the historic, not current, home.

David Duke and his ilk have a new home... and you live in it.

Offline dfwgator

I think if people think Hillary will win, as unlikable as she is, I believe that will motivate more people to vote GOP downticket to keep her in check.

People like gridlock.

Offline jpsb

I'm glad you realize that it's the historic, not current, home.

David Duke and his ilk have a new home... and you live in it.

I thought groundless baseless personal attacks were against the rules here? Please let me know if I am mistaken. There are more then a few NeverTrumpers I would like to inform of what I really think of them. tia.

HonestJohn

I thought groundless baseless personal attacks were against the rules here? Please let me know if I am mistaken. There are more then a few NeverTrumpers I would like to inform of what I really think of them. tia.

What attack? Both are in the Trump camp.

If you are ashamed of that fact, either leave the Trump camp or kick David Duke and his ilk out.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 03:17:26 am by HonestJohn »

Offline montanajoe

I think if people think Hillary will win, as unlikable as she is, I believe that will motivate more people to vote GOP downticket to keep her in check.

People like gridlock.

I think that is the only good thing coming out of this mess. She is going to win but people are going to vote down ticket to make sure she can't do anything..

Oceander

I saw some preliminary polls that suggested that the Trump disease was not thoroughly infecting the down-ballot races.

HonestJohn

I think that is the only good thing coming out of this mess. She is going to win but people are going to vote down ticket to make sure she can't do anything..

The last time I checked, Trump was telling his supporters to not vote for the GOP candidate down-ballot.

Offline montanajoe

The last time I checked, Trump was telling his supporters to not vote for the GOP candidate down-ballot.

Thank god those refusing to vote for him are smarter than the candidate and  his supporters... :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 03:39:00 am by montanajoe »

Offline jpsb

What attack? Both are in the Trump camp.

If you are ashamed of that fact, either leave the Trump camp or kick David Duke and his ilk out.
Liar liar pants on fire

Mr. Trump has continued to denounce David Duke and any group or individual associated with a message of hate,” the Trump campaign said in a statement to POLITICO. “There is no place for this in the Republican Party or our country. We have no knowledge of these calls or any related activities, but strongly condemn and disavow.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/david-duke-trump-robocall-227510

@HonestJohn ?, oh the irony, too funny
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 03:36:06 am by jpsb »

HonestJohn

Liar liar pants on fire

Mr. Trump has continued to denounce David Duke and any group or individual associated with a message of hate,” the Trump campaign said in a statement to POLITICO. “There is no place for this in the Republican Party or our country. We have no knowledge of these calls or any related activities, but strongly condemn and disavow.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/david-duke-trump-robocall-227510

@HonestJohn ?, oh the irony, too funny

How long did it take him to do that?  I distinctly remembering him say that he could not denounce Duke because he knew nothing about him... that is, until the press trotted out his past denunciations of Duke.

And even after that, it took some time.