Author Topic: Baby dies when stroller falls down N.Y. elevator shaft  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Baby dies when stroller falls down N.Y. elevator shaft
« on: October 14, 2016, 04:38:28 pm »
Baby dies when stroller falls down N.Y. elevator shaft
USA TODAY NETWORK Mary Bowerman , USA TODAY Network 8:42 a.m. EDT October 14, 2016

A baby died Thursday after plunging down an elevator shaft in a New York apartment building with a history of complaints about faulty elevators, according to local reports.

The six-week-old baby's mother was waiting for an elevator on the 23rd floor of the Brooklyn housing complex mid-morning Thursday, AP reported. When the elevator doors opened, the woman pushed a baby stroller into what she thought was the elevator, but the elevator car was not there, according to authorities.

The infant fell eight stories and landed on top of the elevator, which had stopped on the 15th floor, according to police....
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/10/14/baby-dies-when-stroller-falls-down-ny-elevator-shaft/92041954/
Oh Man! Prayers up for the family.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline dfwgator

Re: Baby dies when stroller falls down N.Y. elevator shaft
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 04:44:38 pm »
Woe betide the apartment owners.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 02:03:40 am »
Horrible.   **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 02:36:15 am »
Neither here nor there concerning the horrible accident... but I found this interesting.

http://affordablehousingonline.com/housing-search/New-York/New-York-City/Bay-Park-II/42687/
Bay Park II
3395 Neptune Ave
New York City, New York County, New York 11224
Funding Programs
Bay Park Ii was developed and operates with Federal housing financing. The property utilizes the Project Based Sec. 8 Federal housing program to make rent affordable to lower income tenants.

Section 8

Bay Park Ii has a project-based Section 8 contract. 129 of the 338 total units at the property receive Section 8 assistance. This means that 38% of the renter households in the property pay no more than 30% of their adjusted income for rent.

The current Section 8 contract was effective on April 03, 1974 and the contract expires on August 31, 2015. The Section 8 contract rent is 73.7% of the Fair Market Rent for the area. According to the HUD Multifamily database, the fair market rents for the area are $1,293.00 for Zero Bedroom, $1,357.00 for One Bedroom, $1,571.00 for Two Bedroom, $2,021.00 for Three Bedroom, and $2,224.00 for Four Bedroom.

26% of New York properties and 26% of all properties across the country have Section 8 rental subsidies. See the Rent Subsidies section for more.

Overview
Bay Park Ii is an affordable apartment community located in New York City, New York which is located in New York County. The property is located in New York's 13th Congressional District served by Representative Charles Rangel (D), Senator Charles Schumer (D) and Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D).

Bay Park Ii is an apartment community containing 123 rental units. The property contains 256 bedrooms and based on typical apartment occupancy limits, Bay Park Ii is home to not more than 508† persons when fully occupied.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 03:03:23 am »
Woe betide the apartment owners.

The management company too.  And quite possibly NYC as well.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 03:10:49 am »
How did this happen?  Could the woman not tell that there was no elevator car there?

Yes, the apartment building was negligent, but where was momma's head?  Obviously not paying attention to what was in front of her face.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 03:16:36 am »
The management company too.  And quite possibly NYC as well.
It's a good bet the owners are Democrats.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 03:19:36 am »
It's a good bet the owners are Democrats.

They're all democrats.  That's how real estate runs in NYC: it's all owned by Democrats.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 03:21:38 am »
How did this happen?  Could the woman not tell that there was no elevator car there?

Yes, the apartment building was negligent, but where was momma's head?  Obviously not paying attention to what was in front of her face.

Fair enough, but depending on the overall condition of the elevator, who knows?  Also, it's precisely because people often don't pay attention that there are all sorts of fail-safes built into elevators.  I would not think anything ill of her; she will be harder on herself than any of us could ever be, over and above what she might deserve.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 03:24:04 am »
They're all democrats.  That's how real estate runs in NYC: it's all owned by Democrats.

Don't expect the Press to point it out.....of course, unless Trump was one of the owners.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 03:28:54 am »
Don't expect the Press to point it out.....of course, unless Trump was one of the owners.

Does Trump own real estate in NYC?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 03:29:21 am »
Fair enough, but depending on the overall condition of the elevator, who knows?  Also, it's precisely because people often don't pay attention that there are all sorts of fail-safes built into elevators.  I would not think anything ill of her; she will be harder on herself than any of us could ever be, over and above what she might deserve.

Maybe that's why, when I was an EMT way back in the 197os, we were taught to back into elevators with wheelchairs.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 03:29:58 am »
Does Trump own real estate in NYC?

Yep.  So if he has anything to do with this building, you'll hear about it.

Oceander

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 03:36:54 am »
Yep.  So if he has anything to do with this building, you'll hear about it.

That would make him a liberal democrat then.

That being said, I am 100% certain he doesn't have anything to do with this building complex because it's basically a low-income housing project and, AFAIK, Trump doesn't get into those types of projects (I'm not saying that as criticism or praise, just as a statement of what I think the facts are).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 03:38:35 am by Oceander »

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 03:41:16 am »
Maybe that's why, when I was an EMT way back in the 197os, we were taught to back into elevators with wheelchairs.

Most people don't get EMT training as a matter of course.  And backing in with a wheelchair is more likely to be about avoiding a tip-over if the lip of the car didn't smoothly align with the lip of the floor.  I did a lot of paratransit when I was in undergrad, and that sort of stuff was a constant worry with the wheelchair-bound passengers.  Even something as innocuous as a joint in a sidewalk could potentially tip a wheelchair over if you're not careful.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2016, 04:29:49 am »
That way, the wheelchair lands on top of the EMT.

Thankfully, when I was, where I was, there were no buildings with elevators, and seldom three floors (bad enough with a  350lb cardiac case, thankfully, they were usually on the main floor).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis