Author Topic: Republicans fear for party's future  (Read 1438 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Republicans fear for party's future
« on: October 17, 2016, 12:58:34 pm »
By Niall Stanage - 10/17/16 06:00 AM EDT

The Republican Party is in crisis — and it is going to get worse before it gets better.

The forces unleashed by Donald Trump’s presidential campaign are unlikely to disappear after the election, party insiders concede, even if Hillary Clinton beats him handily in November.

Many Republican are openly questioning whether the Grand Old Party is sliding into chaos, with the establishment unable to prevent a post-election shattering of its coalition.

“It’s splitting right before your eyes. It’s happening now,” said Rick Tyler, who served as communications director for Sen. Ted Cruz’s (R-Texas) presidential campaign.

“There is a civil war in the party that is going on right now. The question is whether, after the election, the party will be able to repair itself; or cease to exist; or continue to exist in some diminished way.”

Should Trump lose to Clinton, as polls now project, the bloodletting is certain to be intense.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/301244-republicans-fear-for-partys-future
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Norm Lenhart

Re: Republicans fear for party's future
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 01:00:09 pm »
The party does not have a future.

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 01:09:55 pm »
They should have thought about that as they were stabbing Cruz in the back and refusing to help one of their own against the Orange Baboon.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 01:14:06 pm »
They should have thought about that as they were stabbing Cruz in the back and refusing to help one of their own against the Orange Baboon.

They thought what they always think. Basically that they were going to force their will by leaving people with no choice. That worked for them up until Romney when they found out that there were enough conservatives willing to stand on principle rather than hand the collective right over to a liberal wholesale.

That lesson went unlearned by the GOP itself and the Trump brigade that are now learning the same hard lesson.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 01:20:15 pm »
The party does not have a future.
I think the jury is still out on that proposition.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 01:23:30 pm »
They thought what they always think. Basically that they were going to force their will by leaving people with no choice. That worked for them up until Romney when they found out that there were enough conservatives willing to stand on principle rather than hand the collective right over to a liberal wholesale.

That lesson went unlearned by the GOP itself and the Trump brigade that are now learning the same hard lesson.

Yep.   

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 01:27:16 pm »
I think the jury is still out on that proposition.

Not really. They haven't adhered to their own platform in years. Their nominee opposes it. Their donors are a dwindling number of open borders proponents and their voterbase saw massive defections in/since 14. Technically they arent even a party now. Just a money laundering operation.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 01:30:59 pm »

Indeed! But even more than that they should have thought of that before they were continually stabbing US in the back!  Promising the moon before every election and then failing to deliver on even the most basic promise!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 02:42:26 pm »
Not really. They haven't adhered to their own platform in years. Their nominee opposes it. Their donors are a dwindling number of open borders proponents and their voterbase saw massive defections in/since 14. Technically they arent even a party now. Just a money laundering operation.

The question is not whether the Republican Party continues down its present path - it cannot and it will not. The party is now so fractured and fragmented that something very different will emerge from the wreckage of this election. 

Nonetheless, I do question whether the party has been so badly damaged that it cannot continue to exist under the same name after the dust has cleared.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 02:49:02 pm »
The question is not whether the Republican Party continues down its present path - it cannot and it will not. The party is now so fractured and fragmented that something very different will emerge from the wreckage of this election. 

Nonetheless, I do question whether the party has been so badly damaged that it cannot continue to exist under the same name after the dust has cleared.

The way I look at it is that The Republican Party is a 'thing' like say a car. If you tale the body off the car, remove the engine and tranny, then add a wooden bed, a wooden seat and the tac to hitch a horse, is it still a car?

All the pieces that make 'the' Republican Party "A' Republican party have likewise already been stripped away and replaced with something other than the parts needed to be a Republican Party. So from that POV, it doesn't exist. We can 'call' it "The Republican Party" but what is there currently contains none of the parts that identify it as such.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 02:50:02 pm by Norm Lenhart »

HonestJohn

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 04:24:44 pm »
Historically, the only time we've seen a new party arise has been when an old party collapses.  Whigs to Republicans, for example.

And we're seeing the collapse of the Republican party.

The question is what will replace it?

Since the middle of the primaries, I've been saing that there is a significant political realignment going on at this time.  The question is whether we'll all be in the same parties in four years time.

I've always been very pro-trade and against authoritarianism.  Those were core GOP beliefs.

Now, the GOP says trade is bad and Trump's very much an authoritarian.

If this continues and is the new 'conservative' party, I want nothing to do with it.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 04:51:10 pm »
Historically, the only time we've seen a new party arise has been when an old party collapses.  Whigs to Republicans, for example.

And we're seeing the collapse of the Republican party.

The question is what will replace it?

Since the middle of the primaries, I've been saing that there is a significant political realignment going on at this time.  The question is whether we'll all be in the same parties in four years time.

I've always been very pro-trade and against authoritarianism.  Those were core GOP beliefs.

Now, the GOP says trade is bad and Trump's very much an authoritarian.

If this continues and is the new 'conservative' party, I want nothing to do with it.

I have already cut all my ties to the republican party. Still looking for the one I will align myself with which at the moment appears to be the Constitution Party.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 04:55:59 pm »
I'm all for trade, but not with countries that treat their employees like dirt.    And the US should have the right to negotiate Trade deals from a position of strength, rather than at the mercy of foreign organizations.