Author Topic: Fasting could prevent aging and transform your body, but it goes against everything we think of as healthy  (Read 513 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Fasting could prevent aging and transform your body, but it goes against everything we think of as healthy
Kevin Loria
October 13, 2016

For his breakfast on July 11, 1966, 27-year-old Scotsman Angus Barbieri ate a boiled egg, a slice of bread with butter, and a cup of black coffee. It was the first food he'd eaten in 382 days.

According to a report published in the Chicago Tribune, the next day he told a reporter, "I thoroly [sic] enjoyed my egg and I feel very full."

Barbieri had walked into the University Department of Medicine at the Royal Infirmary of Dundee, Scotland, more than a year before, seeking treatment for his excessive weight. At the time he weighed 456 pounds, "grossly obese," according to a case report published by his doctors in the Postgraduate Medical Journal in 1973.

They planned to put him on a short fast, to try to drop some weight off his 6-foot frame, but really, doctors expected that he'd probably lose some fat and regain it, as usually happens.

But as days without food turned into weeks, Barbieri felt eager to continue the program. Absurd and risky as his goal sounded — fasts over 40 days were considered dangerous — he wanted to reach his "ideal weight," 180 pounds. So he kept going. In what was a surprise to his doctors, he lived his daily life mostly from home during the fast, coming into the hospital for frequent checkups and overnight stays. Regular blood-sugar tests assured doctors that he really wasn't eating and demonstrated that he was somehow able to function while very hypoglycemic. Weeks turned into months.

"This is one of the most remarkable cases of voluntary weight reduction I have ever heard of," one of his doctors told a reporter....
http://www.businessinsider.com/fasting-mimicking-diet-cure-disease-aging-2016-9

Some interesting stuff here. Inconclusive of course, but interesting.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 03:31:37 pm by Idaho_Cowboy »
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Heh -- it would have been more "interesting" if you had supplied a URL to the original article!

(jes' ribbin' ya…)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Heh -- it would have been more "interesting" if you had supplied a URL to the original article!

(jes' ribbin' ya…)
Good catch. Link has been added. :laugh:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour