Author Topic: A Constitutional Right to Literacy - Dr. Walter E. Williams  (Read 581 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
A Constitutional Right to Literacy - Dr. Walter E. Williams
« on: October 11, 2016, 10:43:41 pm »
A Constitutional Right to Literacy
By Walter Williams
Published Oct. 12, 2016

Detroit school students, represented by the Los Angeles-based public interest firm Public Counsel, filed suit last month against the state of Michigan, claiming a legal right to literacy based on the 14th Amendment to the Constitution. Ninety-three percent of Detroit's predominantly black public school eighth-graders are not proficient in reading, and 96 percent are not proficient in mathematics. According to the lawsuit, "decades of State disinvestment in and deliberate indifference to Detroit schools have denied Plaintiff schoolchildren access to the most basic building block of education: literacy."

In terms of per-pupil expenditures, the state does not treat Detroit public school students any differently than it does other students. According to the Michigan Department of Education, the Detroit school district ranks 50th in state spending, at $13,743 per pupil. This is out of 841 total districts. That puts Detroit schools in the top 6 percent of per-pupil expenditures in the state. Discrimination in school expenditures cannot explain poor educational outcomes for black students in Detroit or anywhere else in the nation. Let's look at routinely ignored educational impediments in Detroit and elsewhere.

Annie Ellington, director of the Detroit Youth Violence Prevention Initiative, reported that 87 percent of the 1,301 Detroit public school students interviewed in a survey last year knew someone who had been killed, disabled or wounded by gun violence. According to an article published by the American Psychological Association, 80 percent of teachers surveyed nationally in 2011 had been victimized at school at least once during that school year or the prior year. Detroit public schools are plagued with the same problems of violence faced by other predominately black schools in other cities....
Read more at http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/williams101216.php3#QppRXISLmdHZCrFK.99
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline LMAO

Re: A Constitutional Right to Literacy - Dr. Walter E. Williams
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 12:19:53 am »
Good article by Mr Williams

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline dfwgator

Re: A Constitutional Right to Literacy - Dr. Walter E. Williams
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 12:22:10 am »
You can lead a horse to water.....