Author Topic: 'This is on you': John Oliver ridicules Republicans over Trump groping tape  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Bunny Watson

John Oliver once again offered a searing critique of Donald Trump on Last Week Tonight not for his performance during the second, restive presidential debate (he taped the show prior to its live airing), but for the Republican nominee’s vulgar comments about women that threaten to derail his campaign.

“Yes, that is audio of Donald Trump in 2005 telling a giggling Billy Bush that one of the perks of fame is that he can grab women’s genitalia without permission,” Oliver said after playing the 2005 recording of the billionaire business man bragging about attempting to “bleep” married women. “Since [last week], we have sunk so low we are breaking through the earth’s crust where drowning in boiling magma will come as sweet, sweet relief.”

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/oct/10/john-oliver-trump-groping-tape-last-week-tonight

1) Farther down in the article, he refers to Clinton as "the first female presidential candidate" while Trump is "human embodiment of every backwards condescending Mad Men-esque Boys Club attitude that has ever existed, rolled into one giant, salivating dick-size-referencing, bleep-grabbing warthog in a red power tie."  Nice glossing over of Clinton's vileness.

2) I am honestly curious:Could the GOP have said, "Thanks, but no thanks, we won't let you run in the primary?"  I just don't know enough about the inner workings of the Republican Party to know if they could have done that.  Not that it really matters now, I just wonder.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 06:42:36 pm by Bunny Watson »

geronl

Trump will drag down the whole party. The liberal media is gonna pin the Trump on the elephant.

geronl

2) I am honestly curious:Could the GOP have said, "Thanks, but no thanks, we won't let you run in the primary?"  I just don't know enough about the inner workings of the Republican Party to know if they could have done that.  Not that it really matters now, I just wonder.

Well, Wince Creepus threatened to keep the anti-Trump Republicans from running again!!

Offline Bunny Watson

Trump will drag down the whole party. The liberal media is gonna pin the Trump on the elephant.

That's why I think a new party will have to grow in its place. And honestly, there are enough party members who deserve to have Trump pinned on them.

Offline Rivergirl

Clearly rince and repeat was paid an enormous sum of money to sell out the constitution.

Offline Bunny Watson

Well, Wince Creepus threatened to keep the anti-Trump Republicans from running again!!

Good point. I wonder if he could follow through on that.

Offline dfwgator

Bet it was Crickets from Oliver when Bill will diddling Monica.

geronl

because that makes everything okay now. lol

Offline Bunny Watson

Heh. Well, I'm as anti-Trump as it gets, but it does get old, working in academia, to constantly hear of the evils of Trump while they pretend that Clinton is nothing more than "the first female presidential candidate." 

Offline dfwgator

Just that liberals really have no room to talk.

Offline sinkspur

Nor do conservatives who support Trump, now.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bunny Watson

Nor do conservatives who support Trump, now.

And those of us who work in liberal bastions, even if we didn't support Trump, are tarred with the same damn brush.  Conservative/Republican, it doesn't matter. I'm as stuck with him, in the eyes of my co-workers, as any Republican elected official.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15

Heh. Well, I'm as anti-Trump as it gets, but it does get old, working in academia, to constantly hear of the evils of Trump while they pretend that Clinton is nothing more than "the first female presidential candidate."
That would be Victoria Woodhull.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Oceander

Try living in NYC. 

Offline Bunny Watson

Try living in NYC.

Philly + academia might trump (lol) you. :)  But I feel your pain, nonetheless.   :thud:

Offline Bunny Watson

Good point.

Offline Frank Cannon

John Oliver once again offered a searing critique of Donald Trump on Last Week Tonight

Once again because he is a Commie Pinko hack. Guess Hitlary is a saint and he just can't get any material to use on her.

F you John. Your a fraud and a piece of shit. You would be slamming the hell out of Romney if he were running and he was as clean as the wind driven snow.

Oceander

Philly + academia might trump (lol) you. :)  But I feel your pain, nonetheless.   :thud:

Ooh!  You got me beat. 

Offline LMAO

I know several women who are appalled by what Trump said but many of them defended Clinton in the 1990's. So, I agree there is some hypocrisy from some.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

HonestJohn

That... was so idiotic.

In the mid-90's... did John Oliver have a show?  Was he a force in the comedy entertainment business?

No.

He was born in 1977, so he was graduating the British equivalent of high school in 1995.

And you demand that he be a nationally recognized comedy star with the ability to pen articles about Presidential elections that will be distributed to millions?!?

---

I am sick to death of supposedly educated commenters here with no ability to realize that there is something called *TIME*.

geronl

It was a very minor party that wasn't on the ballot in many states. The guy she picked as veep never accepted and was running a newspaper that endorsed and supported the Republican.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
It was a very minor party that wasn't on the ballot in many states. The guy she picked as veep never accepted and was running a newspaper that endorsed and supported the Republican.
I'll bet she had lower disapproval numbers than either of the two main candidates have right now.
Suffice it to say historically Hillary can grab a number when it comes to women (If Hillary is a women) running for president: : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_United_States_presidential_and_vice-presidential_candidates
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour