Author Topic: Trump Takes the GOP Down With Him  (Read 2717 times)

Offline sinkspur

Trump Takes the GOP Down With Him
« on: October 09, 2016, 04:57:03 pm »
https://www.commentarymagazine.com/politics-ideas/campaigns-elections/how-much-damage-will-domnald-trump-do/

Trump Takes the GOP Down With Him

NOAH ROTHMAN /

OCT. 9, 2016

The dam has broken. The center could not hold. One after the other on Saturday, Republicans withdrew their support for Donald Trump. Many called on him to drop out of the race and cede the nomination to his running mate. The Republican National Committee has all but put its operations in support of Trump’s candidacy on pause. The party is projecting chaos, and parties in chaos don’t win presidential elections. Trump is unlikely to become the 45th President of the United States, but how Republicans farther down the ballot will perform remains an open question. How much damage Trump will do to the Republican Party’s electoral prospects, both inadvertently and intentionally, is the most urgent unknown of the 2016 campaign.

Quietly and without fanfare, the Republican National Committee conceded the presidential race on Saturday. While the news was dominated by Republican officeholders and conservative Trump supporters begging the party’s presidential nominee to drop out of the race, the RNC was dismantling the operation it had built to help Trump win in November.

In an email, the committee announced it had suspended the operations of the “Victory” program’s mailing operations. Later, RNC Chairman Reince Priebus reportedly told party officials to redirect funding and resources to the GOP’s Senate and House races. The practical results of that decision means that the committees will now be turning out Hillary Clinton voters if those voters also indicate that they will support Republican candidates. For a campaign that has outsourced its get-out-the-vote efforts to down-ballot candidates and the party committees, this is a fatal blow. No one will admit it, but the GOP has given up on Donald Trump.

Just because a party that never particularly loved its nominee has given up on him doesn’t mean that the Republican Party’s voting base has, too. Trump’s support might not be particularly wide, but it’s a mile deep. The celebrity candidate’s voters would walk over broken glass to vote for him, but many are surely less enthusiastic about voting for the GOP’s candidates for House and Senate. The Republican Party has all but openly turned on its nominee, and that will almost certainly depress the enthusiasm of Republican voters. How much remains to be seen, but even a little reduced base turnout could threaten the Republican Party’s prospects for holding its majorities in both chambers of Congress. Yet the goodwill the party’s candidates could generate among centrist crossover voters for distancing themselves from Trump could minimize the damage done to the GOP’s candidates as a result of reduced turnout.

This scenario presumes, however, that Donald Trump doesn’t decide to burn the party to the ground on his way out the door. Trump ran as an outsider with no affinity for the Republican Party. Many of his voters share his antipathy for the GOP. Already, Trump is not holding back his criticism of the Republican Party’s leaders, and his surrogates are telegraphing their intention to run against the party itself in the final days of the campaign. “[Former New York City Mayor Rudy] [Giuliani, leaving Trump Tower, signals Trump is ready to wage war against his party,” CNN’s Manu Raju revealed. “‘This is basically the insiders versus the outsiders.’” Trump’s surrogates have now been ordered to attack their fellow Republicans in the harshest of terms.

Donald Trump is not known for admitting his mistakes or accepting blame when things around him start going pear shaped. The Republican presidential nominee will need a scapegoat to blame for his likely loss at the polls, and the GOP provides a readymade target that his voters are already predisposed to loathe. What if Donald Trump decides to spend the remaining days of a losing campaign insulating himself from criticism by attacking the Republican Party? Such a course would all but guarantee the GOP’s loss of its Senate majority and would likely threaten the party’s House majority, too. The damage such a campaign could do to cohesion within the party’s voting base might be irreparable.

But what other option does Trump have? He is likely to lose in November, and it’s hard to imagine he will go quiet into that good night. The Republican Party now provides a perfect foil for Trump to attack and upon which he can lay the blame for his failure at the polls, breaking the party apart in the process. The damage the GOP’s presidential nominee could do to the party on his way out the door could be catastrophic.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Trump Takes the GOP Down With Him
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 04:58:44 pm »
William F Buckley warned of precisely this about Trump in 2000. The people failed to heed his warning.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 05:00:19 pm »
Thanks Trumpkins.  We told you this would happen.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 05:02:52 pm »
William F Buckley warned of precisely this about Trump in 2000. The people failed to heed his warning.

Do you have a cite?  It's not that I disbelieve you, I just want to see how prescient he was.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 05:04:40 pm »
Do you have a cite?  It's not that I disbelieve you, I just want to see how prescient he was.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/430187/william-f-buckley-donald-trump-demagoguery-cigar-aficionado

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 05:05:24 pm »
Trump didn't destroy the GOP, the Trump-retards destroyed the GOP, Trump was simply the WMD they employed to do their dirty deed.  They will now get precisely what they have been screaming they do not want:  President Hillary Clinton.  How effing stupid do you have to be to be a Trump-retard.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 05:09:58 pm »

The GOP was doing a fine job of destroying itself long before Trump.  Trump just made the crack visible
God is still in control

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 05:12:06 pm »
The GOP was doing a fine job of destroying itself long before Trump.  Trump just made the crack visible

Trump made heretofore repairable cracks gaping crevasses that can no longer be bridged, repaired, or even papered over.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 05:13:04 pm »
The cult leader speaks:

Donald J. TrumpVerified account
‏@realDonaldTrump
"@eericmyers: @realDonaldTrump  "Republican leadership" should have only one job: Help elect the nominee we voted for, Donald J. Trump."
RETWEETS
7:02 AM - 9 Oct 2016

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 05:15:27 pm »
The cult leader speaks:

‏@realDonaldTrump
"@eericmyers: @realDonaldTrump  "Republican leadership" should have only one job: Help elect the nominee we voted for, Donald J. Trump."
RETWEETS

Considering a paltry 44% of the party voted for him and of that number there were a fair number of Rat saboteurs, the "We" he speaks of is small.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 05:18:26 pm »
Considering a paltry 44% of the party voted for him and of that number there were a fair number of Rat saboteurs, the "We" he speaks of is small.

Small hands, small followers.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 05:19:23 pm »
Oh

My

God

He absolutely nailed Trump.

Hogwash! He's just like Reagan!!!!!

Offline ABX

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 05:21:03 pm »
The cult leader speaks:

‏@realDonaldTrump
RETWEETS

no, Republican Leadership's one job is supporting the party platform and stability for long term viability. Every election they have to choose which canidates and races to focus on and some don't get attention. In the past those were usually down ticket races, but nothing says they have to support every nominee in every race.

Offline corbe

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 05:21:49 pm »
   the Trumpsters killed what was left of the GOP.  TIME TO MOVE ON

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2016, 05:23:01 pm »

Long past time to move on in fact.

Offline ABX

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2016, 05:23:16 pm »
LOL,
He has been on a trumpertantrum all morning..

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2016, 05:23:29 pm »
The cult leader speaks:

‏@realDonaldTrump
RETWEETS

Now speaking of itself in the third person, like a tinpot third-rate Caesar.

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2016, 05:23:58 pm »

It is time to move on.

Offline ABX

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2016, 05:24:31 pm »
Oh

My

God

He absolutely nailed Trump.

Yep, and this was 16 years ago.  And remember, he wrote this as a warning of what would happen if they took the populist route- resulting in the destruction of the party.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2016, 05:26:47 pm »
LOL,

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">So many self-righteous hypocrites. Watch their poll numbers - and elections - go down!</p>— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)

October 9, 2016

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Oh god PLEASE let him keep posting!

Online LMAO

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2016, 05:27:00 pm »
LOL,

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">So many self-righteous hypocrites. Watch their poll numbers - and elections - go down!</p>— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)

October 9, 2016

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sounds like a "if I'm going down, everyone else is going down with me" statement
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2016, 05:27:57 pm »

Sounds like a "if I'm going down, everyone else is going down with me" statement

Considering those involved, I struggle to see the downside.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2016, 05:35:05 pm »
The Bushes took the GOP down long before Trump did.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2016, 05:36:51 pm »
The media calls the so-called Trumpsters, "blue collar workers", those so derisive should likewise be questioned for what they say about other Americans.