Author Topic: UH OH: CNN Reports Pence Is Considering Dropping Out  (Read 4500 times)

Offline rodamala

UH OH: CNN Reports Pence Is Considering Dropping Out
« on: October 09, 2016, 04:09:52 am »
http://www.redstate.com/joesquire/2016/10/08/uh-oh-cnn-reports-pence-considering-dropping/

With the heat continuing to pile out, CNN is all over what appears to be the biggest game changer yet: Mike Pence could be considering dropping out of the race, leaving Donald Trump with no running mate.

CNN: Sources reporting that Pence is considering dropping out of the race.pic.twitter.com/obmxWBoWGb

— Josh Jordan (@NumbersMuncher)October 9, 2016

This follows a story that went live on CNN’s site just after 9 p.m. ET alleging that senior GOP officials are trying toconvince him to drop out.

One of the scenarios being played out by GOP party elders is convincing Pence to leave the ticket. Vin Weber, a former Jeb Bush supporter, says he would “absolutely” call for Pence to leave the ticket as a way to put “immeasurable pressure” on Trump to leave the race.

“Pence is the anchor that keeps Trump in the race,” so without him it would be over for the candidate, Weber said.

It would put us in uncharted waters should Pence decide he no longer wants to be part of the sideshow act. There is no precedent and there seem to be no rules that state whether you even can or can’t do that.

We’ll keep you updated as we hear more.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: UH OH: CNN Reports Pence Is Considering Dropping Out
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 04:20:19 am »
Uh Oh, indeed.  Apparently, Pence has cancelled all his appearances.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline DB

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 04:35:33 am »
Pence should have known better before agreeing to be his VP. No one with principles would have agreed. So it is a little late now to discover you have some.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 04:44:31 am »
Pence should have known better before agreeing to be his VP. No one with principles would have agreed. So it is a little late now to discover you have some.

This election screwed everyone. No need to blame Pence. He was just following the old paradigm.

Offline DB

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 04:49:20 am »
This election screwed everyone. No need to blame Pence. He was just following the old paradigm.

How much foresight did it take to know he was joining the circus?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 04:58:33 am »
Okay, wheels coming off now.

But, I don't think we should abandon everyone who jumped on the Trump train... We won't have anyone left.

I'm not abandoning Ted Cruz, no matter who else is.  He never ever praised Trump but only supported him to defeat Hillary.

As for everyone else, I'll consider individual actions and merits but not throwing out the baby with the bathwater.  (stupid saying but it applies sometimes)
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

HonestJohn

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 04:58:56 am »
How much foresight did it take to know he was joining the circus?

Unfortunately, both the smart and the idiots of the world suffer from a mental condition called the Dunning–Kruger effect.

In essence, the idiots of the world believe themselves smart... and the smart think that was is easy for them to do is also easy for others.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 06:21:47 am by HonestJohn »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 05:05:42 am »
FWIW:  The actual CNN article referred to by Redstate:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/08/politics/republicans-replace-trump/index.html

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:07:33 am by Applewood »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 05:16:15 am »
File under: Things Pence should have known before he said "Yes" to a pervert.

(We knew.  Why didn't he??)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Frank Cannon

Offline DB

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 06:15:49 am »
Unfortunately, both the smart and the idiots of the world suffer from a mental condition called the Dunning–Kruger effect.

In essence, the idiots of the world believe themselves smart... and the smart think that was is easy for them to do is also easy for others.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

A quote from your link (note, the hyphen in the link breaks it on this site):

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

HonestJohn

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 06:22:10 am »
A quote from your link (note, the hyphen in the link breaks it on this site):

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

I fixed the link.

Thank you for that.  I totally missed it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 06:22:39 am by HonestJohn »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 06:24:56 am »
Bookmark

Ping @rodamala
Ping @Hopalong Ginsberg
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Hopalong Ginsberg

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 08:30:39 am »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 08:51:31 am »
Okay, wheels coming off now.

But, I don't think we should abandon everyone who jumped on the Trump train... We won't have anyone left.

I'm not abandoning Ted Cruz, no matter who else is.  He never ever praised Trump but only supported him to defeat Hillary.

As for everyone else, I'll consider individual actions and merits but not throwing out the baby with the bathwater.  (stupid saying but it applies sometimes)

Doing otherwise is cultish behavior.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2016, 09:13:30 am »

Doing otherwise is cultish behavior.

Here's the thing with sticking with Cruz. And as you know I was fully on board with him back on FR all the way through his sellout. So it's not that I ever candidate hopped.  (not that you or anyone  said I did, just making it clear

Cruz put out the "Let me tell you what I think of Donald Trump" interview, or it was out there, whatever way. In that interview he made it 100% clear that Trump was a liar among other things and that he would 100% stab anyone in the back that believed him.

Cruz THEN joined Team Trump with the reasoning that we could believe Trump on judges.

I would then ask everyone the simple question most all of them asked at one time or another about any number of RINOs. "Was he lying then or is he lying now?" Because there is no way to spin the clear and focused statements he made in the "Let me tell you" interview and the 100% total, complete, unarguable in any capacity reversal of then saying Trump can be trusted on USSC issues.

OK now keep the above in mind.

So now that the shit hit the fan with Trump giving Weiner/Clinton/John Holmes competition in the suprise sex genre, Ted is wavering on his support. Now that is something he should be doing of course. Well abandoning is what he SHOULD be doing, but for now, wavering...

How does that change anything about Ted's stated sole reason for joining Team Trump? If nothing else mattered/no matter what, then is this not a 'what'? Because that means thatAGAIN, Ted is reversinghis stated principles which AGAIN forces the obvious question of "Was he lying then or is he lying now?"

Because there is one conclusion to draw here as he presented his position shift in binary terms, and in fact talked about binary choices. I

If Hillary is going to stack the curt with leftists, and we have to stop her at any cost, then Ted should not care WHAT act of sexual abuse/assault of indeed, ANY moral or legal depravity Donald Trump committed.

If Ted does not care WHAT act of sexual abuse/assault of indeed, ANY moral or legal depravity Donald Trump committed, he is as great a danger to constitutional governance as Trump or Hillary.

If Ted's ethics are so flexable that he will ping pong within a week between existential positions then he is a liberal today regardless of what he has done in the past as his actions are exactly those of countless liberals and liberal Republicans we have seen before...which is why conservatives oppose liberals and liberal republicans to begin with.

So ultimately, continued support of Ted Cruz comes down to accepting the entire ideal of lesser evil/situational ethics to get what one wants, not what is conservative, constitutional, moral or ethical. As Ted himself said when throwing his support to trump, the choice is binary here.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 09:14:54 am by Norm Lenhart »

Offline DB

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2016, 09:44:35 am »
So ultimately, continued support of Ted Cruz comes down to accepting the entire ideal of lesser evil/situational ethics to get what one wants, not what is conservative, constitutional, moral or ethical. As Ted himself said when throwing his support to trump, the choice is binary here.

Ultimately that's always the case when real people are involved. Everyone is flawed. It always a matter of degree.

Trump has essentially destroyed the Republican party. Cruz had to decide if he's still a member of that party. He's hated by the DC Republican crowd that he repeatedly exposed and he's hated by the Trump brigades for daring to challenge their champion. There's not much left of the Republican party for him. If he leaves the party his career is probably over - though I wish he had been bold enough to test those waters.

So while I don't like what he did by giving in I also understand he decided to remain in the party and at his level he pretty much had to tow the party line short of an outright endorsement.

There are very few high level people remaining in the party not tainted by Trump. Perhaps Mike Lee is the only one remaining...

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2016, 10:07:02 am »

Not going to chuck Pence on the discard pile completely.

The question is WHY he agreed. How was it sold to him? As a power position or as him as someone who is measured and calm next to Trump's erratic temper, needed for the good of the country?

I have no idea which it is - anyone got a better handle on Pence? He seems a decent sort ...
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2016, 10:19:06 am »
Ultimately that's always the case when real people are involved. Everyone is flawed. It always a matter of degree.

Trump has essentially destroyed the Republican party. Cruz had to decide if he's still a member of that party. He's hated by the DC Republican crowd that he repeatedly exposed and he's hated by the Trump brigades for daring to challenge their champion. There's not much left of the Republican party for him. If he leaves the party his career is probably over - though I wish he had been bold enough to test those waters.

So while I don't like what he did by giving in I also understand he decided to remain in the party and at his level he pretty much had to tow the party line short of an outright endorsement.

There are very few high level people remaining in the party not tainted by Trump. Perhaps Mike Lee is the only one remaining...
Thats just a version of the lesser evil argument. There is a difference between a guy that goes against/being a normal human with a slightly different take on things and a 180 reversal of the same position twice.

At some point people have to accept what is and not excuse X. At the most crucial point in his career and one of the most crucial points in recent elections, he completely went against everything he claimed he stood for and the very reason he was so loved by conservatives. Thats a pretty serious thing to 'Oh well' over and let go.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:20:07 am by Norm Lenhart »

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2016, 10:25:56 am »

The question is WHY he agreed. How was it sold to him? As a power position or as him as someone who is measured and calm next to Trump's erratic temper, needed for the good of the country?

I have no idea which it is - anyone got a better handle on Pence? He seems a decent sort ...

He is generally a generic Rino. There are far worse people in the world, but you could pick at random anyone in the GOP and on paper be unable to tell them apart based on voting. IE, go along get along. Nothing qualifies him as someone who can or has risen above mediocrity.

HonestJohn

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2016, 05:44:52 pm »
Here's the thing with sticking with Cruz. And as you know I was fully on board with him back on FR all the way through his sellout. So it's not that I ever candidate hopped.  (not that you or anyone  said I did, just making it clear

Cruz put out the "Let me tell you what I think of Donald Trump" interview, or it was out there, whatever way. In that interview he made it 100% clear that Trump was a liar among other things and that he would 100% stab anyone in the back that believed him.

Cruz THEN joined Team Trump with the reasoning that we could believe Trump on judges.

I would then ask everyone the simple question most all of them asked at one time or another about any number of RINOs. "Was he lying then or is he lying now?" Because there is no way to spin the clear and focused statements he made in the "Let me tell you" interview and the 100% total, complete, unarguable in any capacity reversal of then saying Trump can be trusted on USSC issues.

OK now keep the above in mind.

So now that the shit hit the fan with Trump giving Weiner/Clinton/John Holmes competition in the suprise sex genre, Ted is wavering on his support. Now that is something he should be doing of course. Well abandoning is what he SHOULD be doing, but for now, wavering...

How does that change anything about Ted's stated sole reason for joining Team Trump? If nothing else mattered/no matter what, then is this not a 'what'? Because that means thatAGAIN, Ted is reversinghis stated principles which AGAIN forces the obvious question of "Was he lying then or is he lying now?"

Because there is one conclusion to draw here as he presented his position shift in binary terms, and in fact talked about binary choices. I

If Hillary is going to stack the curt with leftists, and we have to stop her at any cost, then Ted should not care WHAT act of sexual abuse/assault of indeed, ANY moral or legal depravity Donald Trump committed.

If Ted does not care WHAT act of sexual abuse/assault of indeed, ANY moral or legal depravity Donald Trump committed, he is as great a danger to constitutional governance as Trump or Hillary.

If Ted's ethics are so flexable that he will ping pong within a week between existential positions then he is a liberal today regardless of what he has done in the past as his actions are exactly those of countless liberals and liberal Republicans we have seen before...which is why conservatives oppose liberals and liberal republicans to begin with.

Knowing Reince Priebus, he was probably faced with a situation that, should he hold out, would involve zero financial support from the GOP during his re-election bid... and their support of any primary challenger against him.

Coupled with Trump's bid to finance any challenger against him as well.

(And I speak as a person that does not like Cruz, due to his bomb-throwiing and lack of strategy during the government shutdown.)

HonestJohn

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2016, 05:47:11 pm »

He was unpopular as governor in Indiana and could see his political career ending there if he didn't find a way out.  Trump offered a way to continue in politics and a possible path to the Presidency.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 05:47:52 pm by HonestJohn »

Oceander

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2016, 05:48:25 pm »
If he drops out, then the presidential race will be well and truly lost because right now he is the only hook the GOP has to the ballot in all 50 states.  If he drops out, the GOP will be left with either a Trump-only ticket, or with trying to get a new team onto the ballot in the states.  The former is a losing proposition, and so is the latter.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2016, 06:04:54 pm »
If Pence drops out, look for him to do it tomorrow morning.  He probably wouldn't want it to be a subject for tonight's debate.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2016, 06:06:34 pm »

KevinFranck
‏@KevinFranck KevinFranck Retweeted Chris Nee
Former Apprentice producer says Trump is on tape using the N word
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.