Author Topic: The President Cannot Unilaterally Launch Nukes  (Read 1496 times)

Oceander

The President Cannot Unilaterally Launch Nukes
« on: October 07, 2016, 05:32:40 pm »
I am no friend of Trump, as some of you know - #NeverTrump - but even so, it really irks me when people say Trump shouldn't be president because he might start a nuclear war.

The plain, blunt fact of the matter is, the president cannot unilaterally order a nuclear strike.  The president's role is initiating the sequence - nobody can launch a nuke unless the president initiated the order - but the final go-order is not sent to the missile silos until the Secretary of Defense has countersigned the order.  The president can, of course, fire the individual secretary who refuses to countersign his order, but he still has to get the order countersigned, and so he must then move on to the individual who succeeds to the fired secretary.  However, the president cannot simply go through a "massacre" of acting secretaries unfettered; the vice president and a majority of the heads of the executive departments can remove the president (25th Amendment).

In other words, yes, a president could launch a nuclear strike if he managed to carefully pick a secretary of defense who would rubber-stamp his orders, and managed to carefully pick a vice president (and/or a majority of the executive heads) who would rubber-stamp his orders, but short of that, no, a president cannot unilaterally order a nuclear strike without out adequate provocation from the target of the strike.

In other words, Donald Trump, if he were to become president, could not start a nuclear war by launching a nuclear strike except under circumstances in which any other president would almost certainly launch a strike as well, or at least, would be well-justified in launching such a strike.

Offline Suppressed

Re: The President Cannot Unilaterally Launch Nukes
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 09:33:11 pm »
What is it you're saying about SecDef Hannity, and the Clown Cabinet?

You do realize, don't you, that "starting a nuclear war" doesn't require a U.S. first strike.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 09:46:14 pm »
I am no friend of Trump, as some of you know - #NeverTrump - but even so, it really irks me when people say Trump shouldn't be president because he might start a nuclear war.

Obama just might get us into one before he leaves...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1921458/us-army-chief-mark-milley-fires-terrifying-threat-to-russia-over-syria-and-warns-well-beat-you-any-where-any-time/

geronl

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 01:53:07 am »

In other words, Donald Trump, if he were to become president, could not start a nuclear war by launching a nuclear strike except under circumstances in which any other president would almost certainly launch a strike as well, or at least, would be well-justified in launching such a strike.

Trump surrounds himself with yes men and toadies and worshipers.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 01:54:53 am »
Trump surrounds himself with yes men and toadies and worshipers.

True enough, but there is a lot more politics, and a lot more opposing interests that must be appeased, when it comes to appointing the heads of the executive departments, and I don't think Pence would be a mere toady.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 10:50:55 am »
I agree, this one irritates me.

Its not so simple as pushing a button.