Author Topic: Trump blows off debate tune-up  (Read 6590 times)

Offline sinkspur

Trump blows off debate tune-up
« on: October 07, 2016, 03:05:58 am »
Trump blows off debate tune-up

In this public town-hall rehearsal, Trump shows he’s put in as little 'prep' as the first time.

By SHANE GOLDMACHER

10/06/16 10:22 PM EDT

This was not the debate tune-up that jittery Republicans were hoping for.

Only days before Donald Trump must face Hillary Clinton in a town-hall style presidential debate, the GOP nominee added just such an event in New Hampshire. It was seemingly a concession to anxious allies and advisers hoping he might hone his skills in what can be a difficult format even for the most dexterous of politicians.

Trump had other plans. “They were saying this is practice for Sunday,” he told the crowd in speech before the so-called town-hall. “This isn’t practice. This has nothing to do with Sunday.”

He wasn’t wrong.

The format was nothing like what Trump will face in St Louis, when half the questions will be posed by uncommitted voters, and the candidates will have two minutes to respond to each question as Martha Raddatz of ABC and Anderson Cooper of CNN serve as moderators.

On Thursday night, Howie Carr, a conservative radio host and Trump booster, played the role of moderator, and the crowd was hand-picked by his campaign. The audience didn’t even ask Trump their questions. Carr did so on their behalf. Before the event, Carr had said Trump would take 20 questions. He stayed for about a dozen.

Trump’s campaign did place a two-minute countdown clock in front of their candidate on Thursday. He repeatedly blew past that time limit anyway.

“I said forget debate prep. I mean, give me a break,” Trump said at one point. “Do you really think that Hillary Clinton is debate-prepping for three or four days. Hillary Clinton is resting, okay?”

Yet even without the duress of an opponent, independent moderators and anything but softball questions from supporters, Trump struggled to drive any type of cohesive message, either about himself as a change agent or Clinton’s shortcomings.

Instead, he whacked at CNN’s John King, CNBC’s John Harwood, polling analyst Nate Silver and Republican Sen. Mark Kirk. He digressed about how Hispanics in Nevada would rather be called Latinos. He kept complaining about his microphone at the last debate.

“Doing well, doing well,” Carr said after a few questions, offering Trump encouragement.

“I like this audience,” Trump said. “I like this audience.”

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who made the town-hall format central to his candidacy and has been coaching Trump ahead of Sunday’s debate, joined Trump on this trip to New Hampshire, presumably to provide pointers on his performance both before and after.

The choreography of televised town halls can pose a particular challenge. How close you stand to your opponent, whether you make sure they are in your camera shot, how you interact with voters and even how comfortable you look on a stool can make the difference between winning and losing in the eyes of the electorate.

Back in September, at the NBC military forum when Trump took questions from voters as Matt Lauer moderated, a woman was introduced as a veteran suffering from PTSD and who had lost two military friends to suicide. She said to Trump, “I wanted to know what your plan will be to stop 20 veterans a day from killing themselves.”

“And actually it’s 22,” Trump corrected, as Rachel Fredericks grimaced and shook her head in disagreement.

On Thursday, it wasn’t just the format but the questions themselves that Trump fielded that did little to offer him any substantive preparation for Sunday.

The first question that Carr read was whether Trump had held back in the first debate (Trump said that he had. “I’d much rather have it be on policy,” he feigned). The last question was who Trump is rooting for in the baseball playoffs (“Boston,” Trump said in a local pander, as the Boston Red Sox were in the middle of Game 1 against the Cleveland Indians from critical Ohio).

Trump’s performance in the first debate at Hofstra University earlier this month was widely panned, in particular his inability to stay focused for the full 90 minutes. Trump faded in the second half after he had proudly refused to practice in full mock debates ahead of that faceoff.

He now appears headed into Sunday’s debate in St. Louis at Washington University without similar preparation for the town-hall format that could be even more grueling. On the trail, Trump has largely eschewed town halls in favor of large-scale rallies where he now almost exclusively relies upon a teleprompter. He has also, for the most part, avoided media interviews with all but the friendliest national reporters and the local press.

When Trump has held anything resembling a town hall — as he did earlier this week in northern Virginia — the moderator has typically been a supporter, in that case social conservative leader Tony Perkins, and the crowd is filled with supporters. Trump entered that event in Herndon to a standing ovation. In early September, he’d done a previous event billed as a town hall, and took questions from one of his advisers, retired Gen. Michael Flynn, in Virginia.

It was more of the same on Thursday night in Trump’s last true chance at a dry-run ahead of a debate to be watched by tens of millions of people.

“This has nothing to do with Sunday,” Trump insisted of his New Hampshire stop. “It’s like they make you into a child.”

And so, after a little more than a half-hour of easy banter and questions (“When you become president can you assure us you will clean house?”), Carr wrapped up by hailing Trump as “the next president.”

Then, he wished Trump luck in the next debate.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/donald-trump-town-hall-debate-prep-229267#ixzz4MMgJX4Ez
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Trump blows off debate tune-up
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 03:07:10 am »
It's going to be a slaughter.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 03:11:54 am »
It's going to be a slaughter.

Even with lowered expectations.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 03:13:54 am »
Trump is stuck on stupid.  And it is a terminal condition.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 03:17:34 am »
Trump is stuck on stupid.  And it is a terminal condition.

Remember, he's mentally ill.  While a rational man can often change his behavior, we should account for his condition and not expect it from him.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

HonestJohn

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 03:23:57 am »
He's giving his fans what they want... idiocy and jingoism.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 03:29:25 am »
Anyone who thinks Donny is in this to win it is a full tilt idiot. He just wants to stand in front of adoring fools and blurt out mindless stupidity, basking in the seal claps from the audience. Not any interest in becoming better or even making an attempt at winning.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 03:31:55 am »

Instead, he whacked at CNN’s John King, CNBC’s John Harwood, polling analyst Nate Silver and Republican Sen. Mark Kirk.

And he is STILL whacking Republicans and Conservatives moreso than Hillary.

Trojan

Stalking

Horse

And so many are still worshipping the image they have crafted of him, refusing to see how conned they were.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

geronl

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 10:58:14 am »
He obviously doesn't think anything needs fixing. He's a mental patient.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 11:24:23 am »

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 11:25:51 am »
What a f**king idiot.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 12:04:43 pm »
Well, either he's strategically lowering expectations or he's throwing the election to Hillary.

I guess we'll know which soon enough.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 12:26:39 pm »
He's giving his fans what they want... idiocy and jingoism.

That's about it.   Still, I enjoy fantasizing -  about Trump totaling embarrassing himself this Sunday and then, pressured finally by the RNC,  stepping down in favor of Mike Pence.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 12:35:30 pm »
Sane minds wanted Trump to learn the lessons of the debacle of the first debate and come into Round 2 better prepared.  Problem is... Trump has deluded himself into thinking he wiped the floor with Hillary when the exact opposite is true.   I've tried like hell to come to grips with this guy and was actually encouraged by his earlier adherence to message and the resultant rise in the polls, but he seems disinterested in upping his game when it counts the most.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 12:37:23 pm by ScottinVA »

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 12:38:48 pm »
That's about it.   Still, I enjoy fantasizing -  about Trump totaling embarrassing himself this Sunday and then, pressured finally by the RNC,  stepping down in favor of Mike Pence.

I've entertained (albeit faint) hopes of the very same thing.  Of all the candidates out there, including running mates, Pence is the only one who's truly ready, able and qualified to hold the office.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 12:39:46 pm by ScottinVA »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 12:47:29 pm »
I've entertained (albeit faint) hopes of the very same thing.  Of all the candidates out there, including running mates, Pence is the only one who's truly ready, able and qualified to hold the office.

Pence really showed his chops last week,  showed that he's the only honorable and competent one of the four.   Meanwhile,  Trump's making it obvious he's in this thing for the purposes of entertainment.   Yeah,  when I'm in my cups,  I still dream .  .  . 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 12:49:54 pm »
Trump is sabotaging his own campaign.  He doesn't want to win.  He's only in to get Hillary elected.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 12:56:17 pm »
And he is STILL whacking Republicans and Conservatives moreso than Hillary.

Trojan

Stalking

Horse

And so many are still worshipping the image they have crafted of him, refusing to see how conned they were.

As a reluctant Trump voter, he is making it very hard for me to vote for him.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 01:13:22 pm »
Well, either he's strategically lowering expectations or he's throwing the election to Hillary.

I guess we'll know which soon enough.

I vote for "both".
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2016, 01:15:26 pm »

As a reluctant Trump voter, he is making it very hard for me to vote for him.

I feel your angst, KD. I didn't ask for much from Trump, only to grow up and be more circumspect when speaking in public. He never delivered. I've moved on.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Silver Pines

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2016, 02:36:42 pm »
This man is completely averse to learning anything, and he is unable to focus long enough for even a brief period of study.  It's absolutely stunning to think people believe the fool should be the leader of this nation. 

He doesn't respect his supporters enough to even try and apply himself.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 02:44:48 pm »
This man is completely averse to learning anything, and he is unable to focus long enough for even a brief period of study.  It's absolutely stunning to think people believe the fool should be the leader of this nation. 

You obviously don't understand six-dimensional chess.

Trump supporters think this is brilliant strategy, as evidenced by his supporters on TBR & TOS.

However, I'm not sure how one prepares for a town hall forum, where half the questions will be coming from "plants" with questions usually on the low-info side.

I would hope his strategy is refined, i.e. how to turn any question into a dissertation on Hillary's failures as SoS, or emails.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 02:48:04 pm »

Excellent point, CofA.  It's his supporters and their trust in him that are being betrayed.  He must think they're idiots (indeed, he's essentially admitted as much).  And the way they continue to defend his shenanigans,  it's certainly hard to fake any respect for them.     

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 02:51:58 pm »

The relationship between Trump and his supporters is all about Trump, not about the supporters.  It's about how much *they* love *him* (even his son has talked about feeling so much love out on the street), and how they would not abandon him even if he committed murder.  Service, sacrifice, an obligation to the party or the country, those concepts just don't come into play here.

Trump doesn't owe his supporters anything, while they owe him everything.
James 1:20

Wingnut

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 02:52:51 pm »
The election is truly rigged.   

To weed out the morons.