Author Topic: “They agreed to support the nominee:” Now, GOP party chair is pressing Republicans to back Donald Trump  (Read 13204 times)

Online corbe

Hillary Clinton will be a  fatal blow for many of us.   It is incredibly naive to think the nation can withstand another President as bad or worse  (worse is my bet)  than Obama. 

@DiogenesLamp

Then so be it, you and the crossover dems thought that one of those NY Liberal's would suffice, I refuse to Acknowledge your rational. 

So all I got to say is Let's do it now, while my Legs are still Fresh and my Powders DRY!
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Norm Lenhart

@DiogenesLamp

Then so be it, you and the crossover dems thought that one of those NY Liberal's would suffice, I refuse to Acknowledge your rational. 

So all I got to say is Let's do it now, while my Legs are still Fresh and my Powders DRY!

They know history will lay the blame on the idiots that put a liberal in as the GOP standard bearer. They are flailing for a life preserver.

Offline LMAO

I can understand someone taking a risk and voting for Trump if for the only reason they find Clinton to be a worse chance to take. I won't fault someone who calls themselves conservative for that

I don't get embracing everything he does and never questioning or thinking beyond Jan 2017. Embracing new entitlements and more spending isn't a conservative position
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Norm Lenhart

I can understand someone taking a risk and voting for Trump if for the only reason they find Clinton to be a worse chance to take. I won't fault someone who calls themselves conservative for that

I don't get embracing everything he does and never questioning or thinking beyond Jan 2017. Embracing new entitlements and more spending isn't a conservative position

People that vote for a liberal are themselves a liberal. People that rape are rapists. People that murder are murderers. People that fish are fishermen. No way around that. Fear voting got us a house and senate filled with lesser evil that is not lesser. It's not conservative. It's suicidal.

Online corbe

A significant portion of the people that voted for him in the primaries have no clue what a Liberal or a Conservative is.  They know Reality TV.

Now the Republicans are stuck with ....But Hillary, and will vote the party line, which possibly, if Election History tells us anything, won't be enough.

I heard it all in 2008 and with much clarity in 2012, The whole party is FUBAR'd and we need to seek out Saner Alternatives.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Oceander

Thoughtful republicans aren't lemmings; they won't rush to vote party simply because the party puts a nominee in front of their noses.  Thoughtful republicans aren't going to vote for a Clinton clone just because it has an 'R' after its name and is nominally a registered republican.  Too bad the party - and the primary voters - didn't think about that one before they nominated someone only lemmings would vote for.

Offline Hoodat

Sir, you are incorrect, despite the nostalgic photo of Reagan. If I am not mistaken we are not specifically a conservative website.

At least we're clear now that Trump supporters aren't Conservatives.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DiogenesLamp

@aligncare

You would have to literally put a gun to my head to get me to cast a vote for that piece of human garbage.

Well the good news is that you will likely end up with a gun to your head for not doing it.   That Hillary Gestapo can be pretty mean. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

@DiogenesLamp

Yes,  fighting the Nazis will be so much more fun than preventing them from ever seizing power in the first place!   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Silver Pines

Well the good news is that you will likely end up with a gun to your head for not doing it.   That Hillary Gestapo can be pretty mean.

Sorry, @DiogenesLamp, I'm not much into conspiracy theories.  But I'll note that a gun to my head is "good news" to you.

Time to unite!

Offline DiogenesLamp

A significant portion of the people that voted for him in the primaries have no clue what a Liberal or a Conservative is.  They know Reality TV.

Now the Republicans are stuck with ....But Hillary, and will vote the party line, which possibly, if Election History tells us anything, won't be enough.

I heard it all in 2008 and with much clarity in 2012, The whole party is FUBAR'd and we need to seek out Saner Alternatives.

The whole nation is FUBAR'd  and we are not going to get any "saner"  alternatives.   The alternatives range from kooky,  nuts,  crazy,  stark raving mad,  psychotic,  and Hillary Clinton.   

What I can guarantee is that you aren't going to like the result of this next election.   Now you can chose to not like it a lot,   or you can chose to not like it on the level of "oh my God I can't believe we are going through these horrors!"   

But look on the bright side.  At least we can pretend we are fighting in the French Underground and this is world war II!   Of course,   nowadays the Nazis have drones,  cameras,  satellites,  Google,  and an army of people who hate you. 

So the odds are a little worse than they were for the French Underground. 
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

Sorry, @DiogenesLamp, I'm not much into conspiracy theories.  But I'll note that a gun to my head is "good news" to you.

Time to unite!

Conspiracy theory?  What is conspiracy about it?   Hillary will behave exactly as she has always behaved,  but this time with the ultimate power of the State behind her.     

And no,  I don't want a gun to your head.  That's why i'm voting against Hillary. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Online corbe

Yes,  fighting the Nazis will be so much more fun than preventing them from ever seizing power in the first place!   

Unless you call this 'FIGHT', cause this is what America did in Nominating a NY liberal to run against another NY liberal...

Kick the can down the road....

Brilliant, and unfortunately the same results:

Online cato potatoe

Yes, and quite a few were totally aware of what they were doing.  "That GOPe is asking for a Trump, and by God, they're gonna get him!"  It was arson.  They knew full well that it would destroy the party's chances in November.  Now some of the very same malcontents accuse the rest of us of supporting Hillary Clinton.  It gets them off.  I bet they will return in 4 years to stick us with some other cartoon character, like Sarah Palin or Paul LePage.  The party had better put some adults in charge of the nominating process, or they will fade into oblivion.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Thanks for the response.  What about the Justices she'll appoint, and the legalization/voting rights for illegals?  Those really weren't issues in 1980.

The immigration issue wasn't a 1980 issue, but there was always a concern about Supreme Court justices even
then, though you couldn't predict when a replacement would need to be nominated. That said, I trust neither
Hilarious Rodent Clinton nor Donaldus Minimus to appoint justices who will construe the Constitution
reasonably. And I'm not convinced that Donaldus Minimus has the capacity to navigate the illegal immigration
issue sensibly and/or constitutionally, either.

And demographically, we're not in 1980 any more.

I did say the next prospective truly rightward candidate wouldn't be another Mr. Reagan. I had that demographic and other
factors in mind.

In Reagan's day, there was a split between the parties, but also a large swath of undecided voters -- the potential "Reagan Democrats".  Now, those people are all part of the GOP, but the electorate otherwise has shifted.   You have far more single females, who lean heavily left, and far more minorities. Those are core Democrat constituencies that lean overwhelming left, and they also get a majority of government employees, academics, people in the arts, etc..

I suspect there will come a different breed of undecided voter, now and in the years to come. We have two candidates who are
distinctly unpalatable to a fair majority of voters this time around; you have surely noticed the overwhelming collective disapproval
toward both major party candidates. We may very well see a near hybrid of rightward and leftward voters among the undecideds.
If so, the right will have serious work to do, now and after the election. Especially if---let us hypothesise---I prove right and,
should she be elected, a President Hilarious Rodent Clinton alienates even her own party (it's very possible) and leaves the
Democratic factions you noted in the lurch.

I just don't see a path if the illegals get the vote, and that does seem to be one issue on which Hillary and the Dems seem united.  And why not?  It basically locks them up long term.

Again assuming we're facing a President Hilarious Rodent Clinton (it could happen, never mind that one wishes for neither
a Hilarious or Donaldus Minimus presidency), watch the downtickets and then watch Crapola Hill. She may not have quite
so simple a Congressional ride as one suspects. The particular issues are different now than then, of course, but it wasn't
very long before the presumably unstoppable Jimmy Carter alienated even his own party. Who's to say a President Hilarious
wouldn't, either? (Remember, there are many who think a President Donaldus would alienate the Republican Party in due
course . . . and there'd be nothing to stop Hilarious from training her guns on even those in her own party who might
deviate even a single degree from Her Ladyship's writ . . . )
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 11:55:21 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

You are missing the point here I think.  IF Clinton gets in amnesty will be granted and millions of Muslims will be allowed into this country dramatically increasing the number of DEM voters...it doesn't really matter how many DEMS Hillary angers; the DEM electorate will grossly outnumber the GOP electorate and certainly those who were granted amnesty/refugee status aren't going to vote for the opposite party. That's not hypothetical, that's fact. 

If---big if---she gets elected, watch Congress. And watch to see if they have the stones to stand up and declare
in assorted ways that Obama II will not stand. (I'm not holding my breath but one can hope.)

She will undoubtedly appoint liberal justices tilting the decisions of the SCOTUS to the left; 2nd amendment rights in particular.

I trust neither Donaldus Minimus nor Hilarious Rodent Clinton to appoint justices who will construe the
Constitution reasonably. These are two people to whom the Constitution is inconvenient applesauce.

To compare the Carter years to the upcoming Clinton years  is like comparing a tropical storm to a Tsunami.

The particular issues are quite different, and you make a certain demographic adjustment now, but if Hilarious
is elected it could very well prove to yield up a comparable backlash. (Certain demographics shifted in the Carter
years, too, which certainly didn't hurt Reagan in 1980.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I'm laughing at the imbecility of those whom insist Hillary is a NAZI and worst tyrant the planet has ever seen, and think their VOTE is going to somehow stop her from achieving power.

Because as you all know, elections in the hands of tyrants and Nazis are always honest, without fraud and checked and balanced.

What a bunch of maroons!

Oh, and I grow more certain each passing day due statements from Trump and the threats from his militant thugs, that Trump is far worse than Hillary will be in the tyranny and oppression department.

She has a thicker skin than he does apparently, even if she is demonically possessed.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

HAPPY2BME

If I may offer my two cents....

I think there are reasonable grounds for disagreement as to whether or not Trump is better than Hillary.  We all have our own opinions on that, but I think it's a reasonable debate to have.  If they are "equal evils", then there is no point in opposing one more than the other.

But that's different from arguments that those who don't vote for Trump bear no responsibility if Hillary wins.  If someone views Trump as the lesser evil, but nevertheless refuses to support him against a greater evil, then those people have some responsibility for the consequences of that decision.  And I suspect that in other contexts, most of us would reject out of hand the argument that standing by and doing nothing in the face of something bad is a morally sound choice.  Hence, the Edmund Burke quote on how/why evil can triumph.

=====================

I read this three times.

Brilliant.

Thank you sir.

geronl

The GOP has pretty much become a carbon-copy of the Democrats where the 'big tent' has been replaced by the Borg collective.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Norm wrote:
"Liar."

No.
You be the one tellin' the lie here.
He spoke the truth.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

I am voting for Evan McMullin.  You elected the Donald.  You vote for him.  I can tell you exactly what is happening.  Trump made sure Hillary wins.  Its happening.  He's going down and we all told you it would happen.  You made excuses, and "believe me" nobody can be that stupid.  Not even Trump.  He sabotaged his own campaign. 

Trump gets Hillary elected and he get favors.  Its the Art of the Deal.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline EasyAce

What I can guarantee is that you aren't going to like the result of this next election.

Well, that was then: the parties tried selling us snake oil. This is now: they're selling us the snakes.

The more I talk about it and the more I listen to about it, here and elsewhere, the more I thank God my state has,
if not a write-in option, a "None of These Candidates" option. It's the only option I can vote without wanting to puke.
Vote it, then pray. Hard.

Offline Norm Lenhart

Norm wrote:
"Liar."

No.
You be the one tellin' the lie here.
He spoke the truth.

Except for the fact that he didn't.

I can't say it surprises me that you Trumpers are so desperate to convince people that the way elections have worked since day 1 isn't the way they work with your guy so thoroughly tanking the election. If you could somehow bottle your ability to circumvent reality, it could be a breakthrough in treating people addicted to hallucinogenics. All the reality distortion and none of the side effects.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 07:36:02 am by Norm Lenhart »

Wingnut

=====================

I read this three times.

I have a vision of you as Jim Ignatowski taking his written Test at the DMV.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Time to unite!

Who are you trying to "unite", and behind whom/what?  I thought that was the purpose of the primaries.  Now, I'm not saying people are morally compelled to vote for the nominee -- I don't even think other GOP politicians are morally bound to do that.  But the truth is the primary is our chance to select a candidate whom we can (hopefully) unit behind, and this time, that process failed to produce such a candidate.  So there is no other figure behind whom to unit politically.

Which leaves me confused as to what you meant by urging "unity".