Author Topic: German mayor beaten up by mob after expressing support for asylum seekers  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Suppressed

German mayor beaten up by mob after expressing support for asylum seekers
 Justin Huggler, berlin | 30 SEPTEMBER 2016 • 5:20PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/30/german-mayor-beaten-up-by-mob-after-expressing-support-for-asylu/

The mayor of a village in Germany had to be hospitalised after he was severely beaten in a suspected far-Right attack over his support for asylum-seekers.

Joachim Kebschull, the mayor of Oersdorf in the northern state of Schleswig-Holstein, was attacked from behind as he walked to a planning meeting on Thursday night.

The 61-year-old was beaten with a club by unknown assailants who fled after he lost consciousness.
Police believe the attack is linked to the mayor’s support for plan to accommodate asylum-seekers in the village.

Hours before the attack, he received a threatening letter which contained the phrases “He who will not listen will have to feel” and “Oersdorf for the Oersdorfers”.

The tiny village of just 870 people has been the scene of growing tension in recent weeks.

The planning committee meeting had already been postponed twice over bomb threats, and police had secured the site ahead of Thursday’s planned session.

Germany has suffered a wave of violent attacks targeting refugee shelters and politicians who support asylum-seekers over the past 12 months.

Henriette Reker, the mayor of Cologne, nearly died when she was stabbed by a protestor over her refugee policy last year.

Excerpt. Read more at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/30/german-mayor-beaten-up-by-mob-after-expressing-support-for-asylu/

++++++++++++++++++++++

I bet if this got posted to TOS, there would be people FReepers cheering the subversion of democratic civilization for violence, without a hint of irony.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Who says there is never any good news out of Europe?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Suppressed wrote:
"I bet if this got posted to TOS, there would be people FReepers cheering the subversion of democratic civilization for violence, without a hint of irony."

I have no problems with what happened.
This is to be expected, when elected officials so egregiously violate the will of the populace by whom they were put into office.

If it wasn't for "violence" -- sometimes extreme violence -- we wouldn't be enjoying the "Western democratic civilization" that we live in today.

Oceander

If it wasn't for "violence" -- sometimes extreme violence -- we wouldn't be enjoying the "Western democratic civilization" that we live in today.

Bullshit.  Not extreme violence and not extreme violence targeted at 61 y.o. civilians.  You disgrace yourself and this forum with statements like that.

Wingnut

Whatever is eating you - must be suffering horribly.

rangerrebew

German Mayor Knocked Unconscious After Proposing Refugee Shelter
Jacob Bojesson
Foreign Correspondent
9:44 PM 09/30/2016

The mayor of a small German town was beaten unconscious on his way to a meeting Thursday night in an attack investigators believe is linked to his plans to bring refugees into the community.

Joachim Kebschull, 61, serves as mayor of Oersdorf in northern Germany, home to less than 900 people. Kebschull wants to house refugees on a property in the community, which many locals strictly oppose. He has received death threats for months, and the local council has been forced to cancel its meetings twice due to bomb threats.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/09/30/german-mayor-knocked-unconscious-after-proposing-refugee-shelter/#ixzz4M1oSzNcE

Offline Suppressed

Suppressed wrote:
"I bet if this got posted to TOS, there would be people FReepers cheering the subversion of democratic civilization for violence, without a hint of irony."

I have no problems with what happened.
This is to be expected, when elected officials so egregiously violate the will of the populace by whom they were put into office.

@Fishrrman

That violent approach was taken because the existing system had no peaceful means of implementing change.  As you said, we are now in a Western democratic civilization," where peaceful means exist.

Do you think Justice Roy Moore should have been set upon with clubs?   Do you think that when GWB violated the law, he should have been knocked unconscious rather than having the SCOTUS put him back in place?

What sort of twisted world do you want to live in?

I'm going to take a wild guess...you're a Trump supporter.  Am I right?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Supressed wrote:
"What sort of twisted world do you want to live in?"

The one in which Nicolae Ceaușescu met his just rewards.

Would you call the bombing of Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Dresden, Tokyo and Berlin "civilized"?
That was certainly "extreme" violence (even for "acts of war"). Yet, such events were necessary to FORCE the other sides to submit, to abandon their own brand of violence, and accept our version of "peace" and "civilization".

It's been many years since I was a soldier. But I do recall the saying, attributed to George Orwell (but possibly not a direct quote), that "people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf".

"Civilization" is a veneer, but it is backed up by force. That force may be the force of arms, or the force of law. For more than 225 years, we have been fortunate to have lived under a remarkable form of government in which law takes precedence over force, at least on the surface.

Not sure how much longer it will last.

And yes, although I'm not an avid Trump supporter, I -WILL- be voting for him.

Let "the other candidate" assume power, and we may discover how much of "the force" of the resulting government might be used -- against us.