Author Topic: BREAKING>>>Train crashes into New Jersey Transit Hoboken station  (Read 2000 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
BREAKING>>>Train crashes into New Jersey Transit Hoboken station
« on: September 29, 2016, 01:22:24 pm »
BY
Jason Silverstein

A train crashed into the terminal of the New Jersey Transit Hoboken station Thursday morning.

Several passengers posted pictures apparently showing the crash around 8:45 a.m., with hordes of commuters held up at the station.

"My train just ran full force into Hoboken Station," Twitter user @jaydanahy wrote.

Another user, @big_Poppa_Chop, wrote, "NJ transit tran just crashed in Hoboken terminal."

NJ Transit said it is suspending service in and out of the station "due to a train accident." But it offered no other immediate details about the crash.

more
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/train-crashes-new-jersey-transit-hoboken-station-article-1.2811435
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 01:47:45 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Train crashes into New Jersey Transit Hoboken station
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 01:24:39 pm »
Myst, I just got an alert multiple injuries. Not good. (Fox news)

I took this train all the time when I worked in the city.

Prayers up.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 01:25:35 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: BREAKING>>>Train crashes into New Jersey Transit Hoboken station
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 01:48:23 pm »
Fox is covering it now....
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 01:54:41 pm »
Support the USO

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 02:01:08 pm »
Myst, CNBC reporting "mass casualties "

Drudge has over 100 injured.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 02:03:35 pm by Freya »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 02:08:32 pm »
Now they are reporting one dead.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 02:10:32 pm »
Fox:

Scanner: One Fatality.

They said the rail-cars that got hit the worse were the front cars and that people gravitate to the front cars because it let's them go directly into the stadium.

I have a friend who uses the rail and he always tells me, he uses the front cars when he can for exactly that reason.

Everyone evacuated from the train but maybe people under the rubble.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 03:15:03 pm »
CBS News is live now.
1 hr ·

BREAKING: At least 3 people dead, more than 100 injured after a N.J. transit train crashes at Hoboken station
Support the USO

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 03:23:07 pm »
CBS News is live now.
1 hr ·

BREAKING: At least 3 people dead, more than 100 injured after a N.J. transit train crashes at Hoboken station

Myst, I turned the radio off. It's heartbreaking.

Thanks for the update. Wonder what caused it?

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 04:51:21 pm »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/hoboken-train-crash-132831514.html
Updates here as they come in.

This is from one of the first responders:
“It crashed into the barricade on the fifth line. It just came in and it appeared that it couldn’t stop and it just made its way all the way to the end of the line,” he said. “Part of the roof collapsed, lighting went out. There was water running from pipes. There were wires hanging down. It was just a bad scene. Folks were just really running away that could, and the ones that couldn’t were trying to get out of the way. Those were the folks we were trying to help.”

So far authorities are saying they don't have any reason to believe it was anything other than an accident.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 05:25:08 pm »
It's sad and my prayers for those affected.

Getting that out of the way, this sounds like driver error once again.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 05:28:01 pm »
My cousin who lives in NJ and commutes into NYC everyday posted on FB that he is OK.  This was very likely the train he would have been on this morning had not his daughter left her homework folder on the kitchen table. He swung by her school to drop it off causing him to be late for this train and catching the next.

:0001:

He was working in the World Trade Center in ’93 when it was bombed and I remember him telling me what it was like going down the smoke filled stairs.

On 9/11 he was no longer working in the World Trade Center but was often in them as he was an auditor for the NYSE, he had many clients there.  Ironically he was in DC on 9/11 only a few blocks from the Pentagon.

I’m thinking of asking him to pick out some lottery numbers for me.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 05:35:41 pm »
When I was getting qualified for freight service around Cambell Hall (NY) back in 1985, I made a number of qualifying trips on NJ Rail passenger trains that took me in/out of Hoboken terminal.

Hoboken is "an end of the line" terminal -- that is, the tracks end in a bumping post. Trains generally operate with the cab control car on the east end (bumping block), and locomotive on the west end.

Trains come through the Pallisades tunnels and emerge at the throat of the terminal (controlled by [appropriately] "Terminal Tower" which stand in the middle of everything. Then they work their way through the switches and into the platform tracks.

It's been more than 30 years, but I recall the track speed through the tunnels being 50 or 60.
Emerging from the tunnels, the signal system would almost certainly drop to 30 through the throat of the terminal ("medium speed" is 30, train would probably be getting "medium approach" or "approach")
The last signal the engineer would get (before entering the station platform track) would be a "restricting", with either a 15 or 20mph limit.

You non-railroad folks are probably gonna be hearing a lot about "positive train control" in news stories about this over the next few days.

I'd seen this in action on my later days (on Amtrak), but if I recall correctly, these systems are generally TURNED OFF in most congested terminal areas, because speeds were slower and because -- if left implemented -- it would seriously snarl operations (as to why would require a much longer post).

In terminals and congested stations (such as Penn Station and Grand Central Terminal in NYC), the ptc will govern train operations "on the approaches" to the terminal, but once you enter the actual terminal tracks, it will either switch off automatically, or the engineer will [temporarily] disable it.

At that point, it's up to the engineer to control the train up to the final stop. The speeds aren't high in these situations (under 20mph), and the operator is presumed competent to be able to work his way across the switches and signals and get the train platformed and stopped.

My reckoning is that the engineer of the train in question was doing fine (or at least "getting by") through the tunnels and entrance to the terminal, kept the train under control until about the time he got by the last signal to the platform. Then something went wrong. He might have been tired (some of these morning commuter jobs start EARLY), or something else health-wise. Nodded off, zoned-out, or worse.

.... and ran right through the bumping block.

I'm also going to guess that when the event recorders are checked (on control cab car and on engine), they'll indicate a speed of 20mph or so. The lead car looks like it made it past the block onto the concourse (and perhaps even into the waiting area). That's about right for 20mph or even just 15. If that train had been going much faster, there would have been more damage.

Not sure what can be done to prevent instances such as this in the future.
Of course, I can predict what might be proposed, such as inbound trains being forced to make a "safety stop" at the entrance end of the platform track, and then start up again and proceed to the block. But in a busy terminal during rush hour, trains operate on very short "headways", and have to be kept MOVING.
Forcing them to stop/start to get to the platform is going to make folks' morning commute somewhat.... longer.

In the end, it's up to guy up front running the locomotive.
It's as simple as that.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 06:03:06 pm »

You non-railroad folks are probably gonna be hearing a lot about "positive train control" in news stories about this over the next few days.

+1

@Fishrrman

Here in my office, whenever there is a derailment or wreck, we say to each other, with a wink and a nod, "SEE!  PTC would have prevented it!"

Class 1s want PTC because it is an unfunded mandate so they go looking for corporate welfare and grant handouts for implementation... and in the end it had NOTHING to do with safety... they just want crewless trains.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 06:03:45 pm by rodamala »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 01:30:28 am »
>snip<
In the end, it's up to guy up front running the locomotive.
It's as simple as that.
Thanks for taking the time to inform those of us who don't know much about railroad operations!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 10:29:59 am »

Thanks for taking the time to inform those of us who don't know much about railroad operations!

Yes thank you @Fishrrman and @rodamala

888heartkitty
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:31:07 am by Freya »

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 08:10:46 pm »
Reports now engineer was slumped over prior to the crash.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/witness-train-engineer-slumped-over-172559536.html
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour