Author Topic: Carter: Most U.S. Nuke Systems 'Extended Decades Beyond Their Original Expected Service Lives'  (Read 445 times)

rangerrebew

Carter: Most U.S. Nuke Systems 'Extended Decades Beyond Their Original Expected Service Lives'
By Bridget Johnson September 26, 2016
chat 0 comments
Defense Secretary Ash Carter discusses the future of America's nuclear enterprise with service members at Minot Air Force Base, N.D., on Sept. 26, 2016. (DoD photo)

Defense Secretary Ashton Carter stopped at Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota today to tell airmen that "America's nuclear deterrence is the bedrock of our security" and "the highest priority mission" of the Defense Department.

"The confidence that you're ready to respond is what stops potential adversaries from using nuclear weapons against the United States or our allies in the first place. It's the whole point," Carter said.

"...I realize it feels at times that most people don't often think about your mission. Which I know can be frustrating. Even though, in a way, it's a good thing. Because it means you're doing your job. It's a paradox that's not easily reconciled, but one that I see and I understand. Because whether they recognize it or not, our entire country and more depends on you. Since we've never found a perfect defense against nuclear weapons, only you can truly deter nuclear attacks that would result in enormous devastation."

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/2016/09/26/carter-most-u-s-nuke-systems-extended-decades-beyond-their-original-expected-service-lives/#
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 04:50:14 pm by rangerrebew »