Author Topic: Why Do Obese Patients Get Worse Care? Many Doctors Don’t See Past the Fat  (Read 1067 times)

rangerrebew

Why Do Obese Patients Get Worse Care? Many Doctors Don’t See Past the Fat

By GINA KOLATASEPT. 25, 2016

Sarah Bramblette, who advocates awareness of lymphedema — arm or leg swelling caused by a problem with the lymphatic system — found that the scale at her doctor’s office could not accommodate her. Credit Ryan Stone for The New York Times

You must lose weight, a doctor told Sarah Bramblette, advising a 1,200-calorie-a-day diet. But Ms. Bramblette had a basic question: How much do I weigh?

The doctor’s scale went up to 350 pounds, and she was heavier than that. If she did not know the number, how would she know if the diet was working?

The doctor had no answer. So Ms. Bramblette, 39, who lived in Ohio at the time, resorted to a solution that made her burn with shame. She drove to a nearby junkyard that had a scale that could weigh her. She was 502 pounds.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/26/health/obese-patients-health-care.html?_r=0
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:38:25 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Why Do Obese Patients Get Worse Care? Many Doctors Don’t See Past the Fat
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 04:46:42 pm »
Why Do Obese Patients Get Worse Care? Many Doctors Don’t See Past the Fat

By GINA KOLATASEPT. 25, 2016

Sarah Bramblette, who advocates awareness of lymphedema — arm or leg swelling caused by a problem with the lymphatic system — found that the scale at her doctor’s office could not accommodate her. Credit Ryan Stone for The New York Times

You must lose weight, a doctor told Sarah Bramblette, advising a 1,200-calorie-a-day diet. But Ms. Bramblette had a basic question: How much do I weigh?

The doctor’s scale went up to 350 pounds, and she was heavier than that. If she did not know the number, how would she know if the diet was working?

The doctor had no answer. So Ms. Bramblette, 39, who lived in Ohio at the time, resorted to a solution that made her burn with shame. She drove to a nearby junkyard that had a scale that could weigh her. She was 502 pounds.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/26/health/obese-patients-health-care.html?_r=0

She probably needs to see a doctor who specializes on people her size.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 06:12:50 pm »
cut out the wheat and sugar and you are almost guaranteed to lose some weight.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 06:28:08 pm »
cut out the wheat and sugar and you are almost guaranteed to lose some weight.

Straight up. Processed carbs, primarily wheat, and sugar are indeed the two big drivers of weight gain.

The book Wheat Belly is a great read for details.
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 06:49:24 pm »
Weighing 502 pounds is not normal. Sorry, Ms. Bramblette, but you can't expect the entire world to accommodate the unnatural, abnormal way you've mistreated your body. It's not prejudice, it's just reality. I'm not unsympathetic to the complaint that doctors don't listen to you - they don't bother to listen to me, either, and I'm not overweight.

“Physicians need better education, and they need a different attitude toward people who have obesity,” he said. “They need to recognize that this is a disease like diabetes or any other disease they are treating people for.”
Not everything is a disease. Some problems are just the result of bad choices, like eating 10 times more calories per day than you should.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline LMAO

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 06:50:18 pm »
From reading the article, it sounds like this woman has more water weight.

Lasix or other water pills will help with that
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy