Author Topic: Cruz uneasily debuts as Trump defender  (Read 1280 times)

Online libertybele

Cruz uneasily debuts as Trump defender
« on: September 26, 2016, 03:19:51 pm »
I also listened this morning to the interview Beck did with Cruz.  He admitted to 'renting' his supporters information to Trump and his excuse was every political candidate does it. He claimed that his intent with his speech at the convention was to express to Trump supporters the importance of the Constitution and that basically his intent was misconstrued ... I disagree ... IF indeed his intent was misconstrued, he should have commented before now and certainly long before endorsing him!

I am upset, disappointed and don't see him as the leader of the crusade that I thought he was...very disappointing and for me it's kind of a wait and see what he does from this point forward ... will he from this point forward align himself with the cartel or work for the people and the Constitution?  He clearly has left a lot on the table.

Cruz uneasily debuts as Trump defender

Austin, Texas (CNN)Ted Cruz offered his first extensive defense of his endorsement of Donald Trump here Saturday, declining to disavow his searing criticisms of Trump's candidacy but arguing he made the best decision possible.
Twenty-four hours after surprisingly abandoning his months-long opposition to his former Republican primary foe, Cruz uneasily stumped for Trump's White House bid, portraying him as the best and only option to stop Hillary Clinton. But he passed on chances to say that Trump was "fit" to be president and to take back some of his most notable attacks delivered just a few months ago.

"I have had many, many disagreements with Donald Trump. And some of them you've catalogued," Cruz said after being read several of the insults by interviewer Evan Smith of the Texas Tribune. "I don't think it's productive to criticize the Republican nominee today."...

...Yet Cruz expressed real concern about the political ramifications of his decision, characterizing it as "agonizing" and aware that he was certain to upset a large swath of his supporters. Several prominent conservative leaders — including some on Cruz's team — counseled him not to issue an endorsement, yet he faced extraordinary political pressure from some other aides, donors and Trump allies to toe the party line.
Trump floats more potential Supreme Court picks -- including Sen. Mike Lee
Cruz recalled meeting Republicans across the state who sobbed as they asked him to get behind the nominee. And he shared that he has been reading the online comments on Friday's Facebook announcement closely.
"There was no option that wouldn't result with people who are deeply, deeply unhappy," Cruz said. No matter the decision, "the criticism was going to be: It's political or self-serving."...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/24/politics/ted-cruz-donald-trump-endorsement/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Cruz uneasily debuts as Trump defender
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 03:55:41 pm »
"There was no option that wouldn't result with people who are deeply, deeply unhappy," Cruz said. No matter the decision, "the criticism was going to be: It's political or self-serving."...

Very true.  There are people here convinced he did this solely for his own political future, just as there were those convinced he was withholding an endorsement for the same reason.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 04:06:29 pm »
Cruz will regret this, especially if Trump is elected.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 04:10:50 pm »
Very true.  There are people here convinced he did this solely for his own political future, just as there were those convinced he was withholding an endorsement for the same reason.

That he did it for his own political future seems obvious. When he thought Trump couldn't win, he played the offended candidate who withheld his support. Now that it seems as if Hillary is collapsing and Trump might win, he jumps on board so that if Trump wins he can claim his support put him over the top, and if Trump loses he can't be blamed for withholding support. Just another self-serving politician after all.   :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 04:11:14 pm »

Cruz was in a no win situation. I agree with him that Hitlery is unthinkable as POTUS with her proven corruption, lying, endangering National Security, and influence-peddling.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 04:15:10 pm »
So Cruz goes from disappointing to despicable in the space of one weekend.

He will certainly never be entrusted to be a standard-bearer of my principles ever again that is for certain.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 04:16:17 pm »
Cruz is a devoted pro-lifer; admires Pence who has done so much for the pro-life movement displaying Christian values. Cruz was in a tight situation. It's principle to be loyal as well.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 04:25:24 pm »
Cruz has demonstrated 4 things.

1) He is smart enough to see that Clinton is an existential danger to the nation and to conservatism and Trump is not.

2) That he has the intelligence to choose the better of two options...even when he does not love either choice.  (and yes, all candidates are a lesser evil).

3) He understands he must support the party nominee if he wants to have any kind of future in the Republican party or in politics generally.

4) That he understands that moral narcissism is just another form of ignorance/arrogance, and leads to the certainty of defeat because it applies a reductio ad absurdam criteria to every imperfect candidate A standard that can never be met and leads only to a perpetually divided party that is sure to lose every election.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:29:29 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Online libertybele

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 04:36:39 pm »
Because of his past record, especially helping to maintain our 2nd amendment rights with winning Heller v. DC, I believe that he is very genuinely concerned with the justices.  In fact, in making phone calls for him ... that was one thing that was in the 'robo calls' script... the concern of the SCOTUS and justices ... one justice away from losing our 2nd amendment rights. Trump also supported him in his efforts with the internet.  Yes, I am disappointed that things turned out this way and I will be watching him very closely from this point forward to determine if I will continue to support him as I have in the past.  I will refrain from being too critical at this moment as I believe he also needs to look towards 2018 and then 2020 and I believe he would make an excellent president.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:37:57 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

geronl

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 05:38:13 pm »

1) He is smart enough to see that Clinton is an existential danger to the nation and to conservatism and Trump is not.

2) That he has the intelligence to choose the better of two options...even when he does not love either choice.  (and yes, all candidates are a lesser evil).

3) He understands he must support the party nominee if he wants to have any kind of future in the Republican party or in politics generally.

4) That he understands that moral narcissism is just another form of ignorance/arrogance, and leads to the certainty of defeat because it applies a reductio ad absurdam criteria to every imperfect candidate A standard that can never be met and leads only to a perpetually divided party that is sure to lose every election.

wrong
wrong
wrong
Trump is most immoral narcissistic, ignorant, arrogant candidate in a lifetime

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 05:49:48 pm »
Isn't it amazing to behold those that not just last week were continuing to bash and smear Cruz, are now his defenders and trumpeting his laurels simply because he bowed down to and kissed the ring of their false political messiah?

That's their version of what principles are: always changing in order to promote or get what one wants.

They are as loathsome as the Marxists.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 06:06:42 pm »
Ted Cruz explains why he endorsed Trump --- despite everything
By David Weigel The Washington Post
Published Sept. 26, 2016
Read more at http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0916/weigel092616.php3#b8d1U4jPiX7xutjF.99

AUSTIN --- One day after Ted Cruz endorsed Donald Trump, the Republican nominee whom he once accused of being a "pathological liar" and "sniveling coward," the Texas senator was still explaining himself. He called the decision "agonizing." He revealed that he did not ask Trump to apologize for insults to his wife and father.

And he told Evan Smith, the founding editor of the Texas Tribune, that Hillary Clinton's threat to the Supreme Court and the country was enough to move him off the fence.

"You think a serial philanderer and pathological liar should be president?" asked Smith.

Cruz paused. "I have had many, many disagreements with Donald," he deadpanned.

The audience, in one of the biggest rooms at the annual Texas Tribune Festival, was loaded with Cruz skeptics. He drew only scattered applause when he discussed his Senate initiatives and his work to keep the Republicans in control of the upper house; he drew boos when he suggested that critical coverage of police-involved shootings was leading to more crime by preventing police from doing their jobs. ("Black lives are being lost because cops are pulling back," he insisted.)...
Read more at http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0916/weigel092616.php3#b8d1U4jPiX7xutjF.99
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour