Author Topic: Cruz: I'm voting for Trump  (Read 127754 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Cruz: I'm voting for Trump
« Reply #800 on: September 26, 2016, 05:35:14 pm »
Cruz is sticking to principles, a committed pro-lifer, he has already praised Pence. I voted for Cruz; that was in the primaries.

It won't be for me to turn my back on the unborn, might as well be a Democrat or vote for Johnson.

Silver Pines

« Reply #801 on: September 26, 2016, 05:36:00 pm »
@XenaLee

Well, I have yet to watch that interview (will endeavor to do so) so I can't speak on it until then.

As for Cruz no longer being the only man in Washington who hasn't been changed...perhaps we are expecting the impossible of him.  In DC, there really IS something in the water.  And sooner or later...

everyone must partake of that something.

I'm beginning to think that's the case, yes.

Bottom line, this election year looks to be historic in every way.  It's looking more and more like we will be left completely leaderless when all is said and done.   Time to find 'new' leaders then.

Yep.  The culture is badly broken if those two are the best we could find.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #802 on: September 26, 2016, 05:36:14 pm »
Selective?  Seriously?  I'm taking the man at his word.

You're taking him at his word when it is convenient to your argument to do so.  Again, you "take him at his word" when he says something liberal, but dismiss it out of hand whenever he says anything conservative.

You, apparently, are trying to invest him with qualities you want him to have.

I think it's more accurate to say that you are trying to invest him with qualities you don't want him to have.  I'm acknowledging that he's unpredictable all around.

Trump doesn't have a single accomplishment for the cause of conservatism under his belt.  He does have a history of defending, praising, and donating to Hillary Clinton.

He's donated to Republicans as well.  The guy seems to be very much an opportunist, and will give money to whichever politicians he thinks can help him the most.  That's not principled, but being unprincipled is better than having the wrong principles.

And he's a practiced con man who is very good at telling people what they want to hear.

Again, should that not apply equally to statements he's made in the past about the Clintons, etc.?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #803 on: September 26, 2016, 05:37:40 pm »
@XenaLee

I'm beginning to think that's the case, yes.

True that.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #804 on: September 26, 2016, 05:38:15 pm »
@libertybele

But again, and as Beck asked, why would Cruz believe a man he said lies about everything?  His response that it was a "public" commitment makes no sense, since Trump lies publicly as easily as the rest of us breathe.

Besides, what happened to that earlier list of judges Trump submitted?  That was a public commitment, too.

Mike Lee--who still refuses to support Trump---said that he does not want to be a justice and it isn't going to happen.

Cruz could have thanked Trump for his support for the internet bill without endorsing him, IMO.  Regardless, the interview this morning was very bad.

The interview this morning did not do Cruz any good though.  I believe he is genuinely concerned for the Supreme Court ... but must of us also know that Trump lies and so does Cruz.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #805 on: September 26, 2016, 05:52:42 pm »
@mrpotatohead

We have had good luck with Sanyo TVs, FWIW.
Thanks @Smokin Joe ....I'm heading to Sam's in a bit for a replacement.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #806 on: September 26, 2016, 05:56:32 pm »
Take note Trumpster 'sepia' shirt wearing Trump supporters I don't want you to miss anyone!

@Jazzhead
@INVAR
@Cripplecreek
@Catherine of Aragon
@skeeter
@jmyrlefuller
@Suppressed
@Night Hides Not 
@Norm Lenhart     
@catfish 1957 
@Fantom
@sinkspur 
@libertybele
@LMAO
@RAT Patrol      .
@bigheadfred
@bilo
@musiclady
@Chosen Daughter
@Bigun
@mystery-ak 
@mrpotatohead
@Emjay
@Victoria33
@Xena-Lee
@Sanguine
@Once-Ler
@txradioguy
@kartographer
@Smokin Joe
@montanajoe

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke.
Thanks.  Me, too.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #807 on: September 26, 2016, 06:00:53 pm »
Well, I have yet to watch that interview (will endeavor to do so) so I can't speak on it until then.

As for Cruz no longer being the only man in Washington who hasn't been changed...perhaps we are expecting the impossible of him.  In DC, there really IS something in the water.  And sooner or later...

everyone must partake of that something.
It's the bugs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZQW4-L9tp8

Great series if you caught it... :laugh:
Bottom line, this election year looks to be historic in every way.  It's looking more and more like we will be left completely leaderless when all is said and done.   Time to find 'new' leaders then.
More seriously, you're right.

I am not sure how much the smear campaign thrown at Cruz hurt, but imho, this won't help.

Lee said he wasn't interested in SCOTUS before this was announced, so I doubt that is the motivation, and Trump's penchant for lying would devalue any promises made, public or private.

We live in interesting times.

We keep looking under the same rocks for leaders, and all we find are the same old bugs... Time to look somewhere else.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

« Reply #808 on: September 26, 2016, 06:04:39 pm »
Take note Trumpster 'sepia' shirt wearing Trump supporters I don't want you to miss anyone!

@Jazzhead
@INVAR
@Cripplecreek
@Catherine of Aragon
@skeeter
@jmyrlefuller
@Suppressed
@Night Hides Not 
@Norm Lenhart     
@catfish 1957 
@Fantom
@sinkspur 
@libertybele
@LMAO
@RAT Patrol      .
@bigheadfred
@bilo
@musiclady
@Chosen Daughter
@Bigun
@mystery-ak 
@mrpotatohead
@Emjay
@Victoria33
@Xena-Lee
@Sanguine
@Once-Ler
@txradioguy
@kartographer
@Smokin Joe
@montanajoe

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke.

Fine with me, Ted decided not to turn his back on the unborn, I won't either.

A nice try at shaming; but it didn't work except for being laughable.

Ted Cruz is committed to life and the 2nd amendment, etc. etc.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #809 on: September 26, 2016, 06:07:00 pm »

I agree with that, although I think there does need to be an asterisk.

Hillary was beatable in this election.  The problem is that the best opposition on the conservative side was fragmented, and the only person in the populist lane was Trump.  And it just so happened that Trump's decision to run coincided with immigration become a single-issue for a lot of voters.  That meant that a whole lot of candidates were considered flatly unacceptable by a majority of primary voters.  I think that fact is what really doomed most of the opposition to Trump.

I still think this country could have nominated, and perhaps even elected, a truly good conservative candidate.  But if you listen to what folks are saying here now, not even Cruz qualifies now, and I'd submit that he's probably the most conservative candidate we've had since Reagan.  I think whatever the "conservative" movement once was, it is now too fragmented, with the different factions too dug-in, to ever nominate or elect such a candidate in the foreseeable future. 

Even leaving Trump out of the equation, we've balkanized ourselves into irrelevancy.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #810 on: September 26, 2016, 06:07:02 pm »

Ted Cruz miss your list? Newt Gingrich? Rick Perry? Scott Walker? 2012 Constitution Candidate Virgil Goode? Jerry Falwell Jr.? Clint Eastwood? Donald Rumsfield?

What a joke, thanks for the laughs.

I guess, we should call that kind of a list a list of pro-aborts what Kartographer did if this is tit-for-tat. And I would ask for moderator intervention possibly on K posting this kind of stuff that belies any conservative foundation in my view; and is name calling once again.

Per "sepia shirt" wearing, this is real hate mongering. The usual "lesser of evils" argument wasn't enough.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:10:03 pm by TomSea »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #811 on: September 26, 2016, 06:14:08 pm »
True that.

I agree. Just when you think they've taken it to as low as they can, they take it to an all new low.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline skeeter

« Reply #812 on: September 26, 2016, 06:16:29 pm »
@skeeter

First off, skeeter, I want to get something clear here. I've never thought of Cruz as anything but a man, either.   I believed he was a man who would always stand for principle.  And as I posted, I was angry on Friday--I admit it freely.  But I've cooled off, and I am not "distraught."  I wanted to hear some straight talk from Cruz; I was open to it.  I got the opposite instead.  And I won't try to spin it otherwise.

It's because I don't do personality cults that I refuse to spin it. If Ted ran for president, yeah, I'd vote for him because--as I said---he has an excellent conservative rating. 

What I am saying is that he isn't quite the principled man I thought.  Not if he's pushing that "binary choice" crap, or trying to say he was never NeverTrump when he said otherwise,  or that his principled stand at the convention had nothing to do with Trump and that voting your conscience means voting for that dumpster fire.  I just will not spin that.  And I won't apologize for it.

I spent a lot of time defending him to family and friends as a different kind of guy in Washington.  This morning I heard a slippery politician.  It is what it is. 

I hope this goes through....the site keeps timing out for me.

I was speaking for myself, I did not intend to characterize anyone else.

I look at Cruz's behavior differently - it seems as though he IS acting from principle. The SCOTUS is his thing, and he's trying to do whatever is within his power at this point to see that constitutionalists have a voice on it.

Of course he's running the risk of looking foolish or duplicitous here, given what has gone on before. He is in a very difficult political position.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #813 on: September 26, 2016, 06:20:12 pm »
@CatherineofAragon

So he is as consistent and predictable as Hillary is in terms of what he'll do in office?  Rather than argue with that myself, I'll just point out that a lot of other nevertrumpers condemn him because he is unpredictable and cannot be trusted.

All that is predictable is that he is like the weather. If you don't like what he says, just wait, it'll change. That just isn't any way to run an airline (That didn't work so well either, now, did it?).
Can't you see that you are being incredibly selective about what you choose to believe?  Was he being truthful when he said those things to Scarborough, or just trying to pander to MSNBC voters?  I don't think you're being consistent in rejecting everything conservative he says as being disingenuous, but accepting everything he says that is liberal as reflecting his actual views.  If he is not trustworthy, then both the conservative and the liberal things he says cannot be trusted as reflecting his true views.
True enough, you can't trust what he says, as noted above. That means you have to go by what he does.

While he lives ostentatiously, indications are that much of that is a write-off. After all, advertising the brand means he has to live the lifestyle.
Indications are that his wealth has been overstated, his tax returns are unavailable, leaving that speculative.
Little has been said in the media about failed ventures, giving the impression that he is wildly successful, with some sort of Midas touch. Not exactly. He has had many failed ventures.

Not only are there accounts from subcontractors who collected a fraction of what they were contracted out for, but there are a host of investors who got, well, screwed in dealings with him. Details of those problems are scant because unless someone is willing to take a total loss instead of get some sort of recovery to pay their attorneys with, they have to sign a Nondisclosure Agreement which includes penalty clauses which keep much of that information out of the public eye (and the brand alive in the eyes of the uninformed).
Unapologetic serial adulterer. 'nuff said. That vow was just another contract to be broken.
Support given to leftist politicians. 'Pay to play', 'buying access', whatever, whether heartfelt (sure seems warmly chummy in the pics), or just doin' bid'ness, it is either genuine support for leftist politicians and their causes or part of the 'culture of corruption' we decry.

While his tracks are well covered, these actions speak louder than words, some shout from the distant past, and many past statements are coming out to haunt Mr. Trump.

My guess - and that's really all it can be at this point -- is that he's a basic East Coast, Rockefeller Republican.  That is not ever a POV I have espoused, but I see it as preferable to the hard leftism, particularly on social issues, that we'd get from Hillary.  But in any case, that still remains just a guess.  Which leads me right back to preferring the unpredictable, untrustworthy to someone I can predict and trust to do exactly the wrong things.
Who do you know?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
Sun Tsu
You can't know someone who has no consistent positions nor principles.

ETA:  I should add that early in this campaign season, I told some liberal friends that Trump would probably end up being more liberal than they probably expected on issues like health care, and that he probably wouldn't be as bad from their perspective as they were thinking at that time.  They responded by saying that the liberal quotes attributed to him were just an act, and that he really didn't believe that stuff.  The exact flip side of the argument you are making here.
See? No one believes the guy.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #814 on: September 26, 2016, 06:25:12 pm »
Even this cat doesn't like Trump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyYDmTx4pzE
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #815 on: September 26, 2016, 06:25:56 pm »
Cruz is imploding.

That is a great GIF to illustrate what Trump has done to Conservatism itself.

In the rubble and ashes is a new Populist Statist Nationalism that demands obeisance.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline XenaLee

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #816 on: September 26, 2016, 06:27:11 pm »
It's the bugs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZQW4-L9tp8

Great series if you caught it... :laugh:More seriously, you're right.

I am not sure how much the smear campaign thrown at Cruz hurt, but imho, this won't help.

Lee said he wasn't interested in SCOTUS before this was announced, so I doubt that is the motivation, and Trump's penchant for lying would devalue any promises made, public or private.

We live in interesting times.

We keep looking under the same rocks for leaders, and all we find are the same old bugs... Time to look somewhere else.

Between the lead and the bugs....(lol).....it's a no wonder that this nation is in such a state of FUBAR, eh?

I watched the first two episodes of that series and, for some reason, didn't get around to watching the rest of it.  Will have to go back and catch up.

As for these interesting times.....I have a gut feeling...that things are about to get a LOT more interesting.  It's comforting to know that other like-minded conservatives are very well prepared for anything to come. 

No quarter given to the enemy within...ever.

You can vote your way into socialism, but you have to shoot your way out of it.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #817 on: September 26, 2016, 06:27:49 pm »

I guess, we should call that kind of a list a list of pro-aborts what Kartographer did if this is tit-for-tat. And I would ask for moderator intervention possibly on K posting this kind of stuff that belies any conservative foundation in my view; and is name calling once again.

Pro aborts? What warm, dark orifice did you pull that out of? If you are calling the people on that list "pro-aborts", yes perhaps moderator intervention is called for. Against you.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:31:43 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline XenaLee

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #818 on: September 26, 2016, 06:29:49 pm »
That is a great GIF to illustrate what Trump has done to Conservatism itself.

In the rubble and ashes is a new Populist Statist Nationalism that demands obeisance.

And quite deliberately so.  As a lifelong (up until 2011) Democrat supporting liberal, his mission is almost accomplished.  The next two months will finish it (and us), quite probably.
No quarter given to the enemy within...ever.

You can vote your way into socialism, but you have to shoot your way out of it.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #819 on: September 26, 2016, 06:34:48 pm »
Per "sepia shirt" wearing, this is real hate mongering. The usual "lesser of evils" argument wasn't enough.

Oh the feigned outrage from the Trump cabal!

*Hate* is better depicted by the Trump militant who have promised/suggested and implied we will be hunted down by dogs, peppered full of holes, shot for treason and every other litany of punitive threats simply because we refuse to vote for Trump.

The Trumpists are every bit the thugs that history teaches accompanies mass movements around immoral cults of personality.

Doesn't matter the shirt color or ball cap color they wear.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:36:34 pm by INVAR »

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #820 on: September 26, 2016, 06:34:48 pm »
Pro aborts? What warm, dark orifice did you pull that out of? If you are calling the people on that list "pro-aborts", yes perhaps moderator intervention is called for. Against you.

It is aborts time I did something at the pro level.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #821 on: September 26, 2016, 06:41:14 pm »
And quite deliberately so.  As a lifelong (up until 2011) Democrat supporting liberal, his mission is almost accomplished.  The next two months will finish it (and us), quite probably.

He tries that I hope someone sends him a  a can of that Naptha gel hair conditioner. singing "By the Don's Eerie Light..."

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #822 on: September 26, 2016, 06:49:26 pm »
How?  How did the "big money" force him to endorse Trump?  Do you know this for a fact, or are you best-guessing here?

Purely conjecture on my part but it is based on having seen how the game is played from the inside out myself.

I suspect the conversations went somewhat along the lines of "You are going to be running for your Senate seat again soon aren't you?  Well if you want to see the kind of money then that you saw from us last time we would strongly suggest that you need to ..."
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #823 on: September 26, 2016, 06:57:35 pm »
Purely conjecture on my part but it is based on having seen how the game is played from the inside out myself.

I suspect the conversations went somewhat along the lines of "You are going to be running for your Senate seat again soon aren't you?  Well if you want to see the kind of money then that you saw from us last time we would strongly suggest that you need to ..."

And that is exactly how entire peoples and societies knuckle under to tyranny, genocidal regimes and madmen hellbent on saviorhood.  Like dominoes the leadership caste all bow down, and then the pressure mounts on the populace to seig-heil their dear leader, or face punishment and eradication.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #824 on: September 26, 2016, 06:58:36 pm »

Sadly, I think he could have gathered contributions from all over the country to cover that had he stick to his guns. But I wouldn't put it past the GOPe to threaten to fund a primary challenger, either.

C S Lewis