Author Topic: Cruz: I'm voting for Trump  (Read 127619 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Cruz: I'm voting for Trump
« Reply #750 on: September 26, 2016, 03:09:01 pm »

Quote from: DCPatriot on September 24, 2016, 12:27:48 PM

Just my opinion...

Take away a half-dozen of the above, as salvageable ....and it's exactly what I've pointed out.

No more than 1-1/2 to 2 dozen need to be shown the door in order to get The Briefing Room back on track.

Disagreements are nothing new...they are, in fact, encouraged, and further the debate.

But a lot of those pinged above are not worth a plug nickel. (interpreted as a "personal attack"?)

If The Briefing Room is to return to being a respectable and credible political forum...they need to go.

The administration here knows it.....I know it....and if you're honest...anybody reading this knows it too!

NOTE:  Among the dozen or so more primal screams from members reactions, the most fascinating are those from members complaining they were NOT on that 'ping' list.   

Which if you think, objectively, about my POV, gives evidence to support my OPINION.

Chose an old friend, 'MusicLady', as the person to whom I'll respond...if nobody minds. 

I could be speaking to each of you, one-on-one.

Yes.  That's exactly what he's saying.

Funny thing is, I don't think a single person on that list wants to have him banned, just because he disagrees with us.

That's the fundamental difference between the Trump zealots and the rest of us who value freedom.

We don't want to silence dissent as they do.  We don't think that our views should be the only ones permitted on this forum.  We believe in free speech.  We believe in the freedom of ideas and ideals.

I'm not sure how the chicken-egg thing works with the Trumpists.  Did they not value freedom and thus were attracted to Trump, or did their attraction to Trump destroy their own values?

I don't think we'll ever know, but the thing we know for sure is that the Trump faithful want to shut the rest of us up.

I, for one, am PROUD to be on the list that values Conservatism and liberty.  Being a target for this nasty group is sort of a red badge of courage for all of us.

The ones whom DC wants to banish from this forum are the ones I am honored to stand alongside.

First of all, ML....I've proven for fifteen months that I am willing to debate in a mature fashion, when it comes to Donald Trump. 

There are several #nevertrumps here that I get along with, perfectly.  That's because we've known one another for so long that a little jab thrown with a reply isn't taken literally.  But, we all know that approaching an opponent in an honest debate/back and forth without insult will result in a calmer and more mature reply.  You know full well, that my back and forth depends entirely on the tone it is presented.

What I think goes over too many heads here...collectively...in conversations among yourselves (when there are no Trump Supporters on the thread)...your side refers to Trump in a myriad of most disparaging ways:  "Orange God", "Orange Julius", etc., and to his Supporters as brain dead zombies that should be shunned and shamed.

Or, we're described thusly, by Mr. Passive Aggressive,  @Norm Lenhart, in a recent thread, just moments ago.

"They hate everything America was built on. Conservatism, Principle and Christianity. they mock all three daily along with anyone standing up for them. They are far from unaware. It's intentional. It's what liberals do. No more, no less.

Finally...we have Exhibit B.....    again, @Norm Lenhard  where he tells you that All trump supporters here are...well, YOU read it.

Quote from: musiclady on September 25, 2016, 06:58:30 PM

Would you mind editing out that third paragraph?  I thought better of what I said.

(I'm trying to behave myself and not get these Trump guys any madder at me than they already are!)

Never, EVER concern yourself with what a bunch of sawed off little wannabees gets angry over. Your time is to valuable to waste it over people of no value.

So...my saying a dozen...dozen and one-half of the NeverTrumps aren't worth a plug nickel (in terms of being salvageable...people you wouldn't mind sitting on a front porch conversing with)....and that's a "personal insult"....but saying we're all "sawed-off wannabes" and "people of no value"...isn't?

So, first let me say, I am not going to respond to anything more on this topic.   My only intent here was to not give any of you the impression that I was walking away with my tail between my legs.

When I log on here and read page after page....post of post watching the same 18 keyboard warriors punching out insults after insults to people who have decided to support the Candidate of the GOP...some even claiming they're the new "Jew", after Trump takes the Oath....it's extremely unfair for the administration here to single out Trump supporters individually as they do.

We don't have the time or inclination to reply to everybody when they get nasty...but nobody should interpret that as acceptable and eventually, it will come to mind when a Trump supporter is posting.

So...don't give us any crap that because you cannot be singled out individually for typing "I hate Donald Trump", that...you don't hate him.

This isn't kindergarten.

Again, I apologize for taking us OT....but felt since the thread was reopened, I will respond...and leave it at that.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #751 on: September 26, 2016, 03:09:53 pm »
I listened to the complete interview:

Cruz's primary concerns are stopping Hillary Clinton and the appointment of Supreme Court justices.  Cruz again made it publicly known  that the Trump/campaign handed him a list of potential justices and on that list was Mike Lee who was requested to be on that list by Cruz via a meeting that he had with Pence.  The meeting between Pence and Cruz was asking Cruz what it would take for him to come on board and the answer of course was Trump's commitment to appointment justices in line with Scalia including Mike Lee.

Glenn asked him how he could trust Trump and Cruz in essence said know one can be sure but we can be sure of what Hillary will do.

There was back and forth talk on compromising principles and Cruz's speech at the Convention. I agree with Beck that the time to dispute how the media interpreted what Cruz said would have been after the speech and not now.

Cruz admitted to 'renting' his supporters email addresses, etc., to Trump; which I think was 100% wrong even though Cruz said all candidates do it.

IMHO Cruz is keeping his word in voting for the Republican nominee and at the same time saw his only option as voting to stop Hillary as well as insuring as best he could tilting the Supreme Court to the right.

Yes, I heard it and I pretty much agree with him, but I don't like it one little bit.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #752 on: September 26, 2016, 03:11:02 pm »
I guess that explains the mail I keep getting from the Trump campaign.  It goes immediately into the shredder.

Thanks for the overview of the interview.  I listened to Beck for a few minutes when he was describing his interview with Cruz....then he started ranting and raving and I had to turn it off.

FYI....don't ever buy a Visio tv....   I got the black screen of death this morning after roughly 2 years of use.  What a piece of crap.....

I'm still getting Rubio stuff.  I never supported Rubio or signed up for emails.  WTH?

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #753 on: September 26, 2016, 03:13:33 pm »

Or, we're described thusly, by Mr. Passive Aggressive,  @Norm Lenhart, "

1:  Nothing passive about it. Thats why you are so upset.

2: Hit dogs howl.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #754 on: September 26, 2016, 03:13:50 pm »
Hey guys. Working today. Can't come out to play with everyone today.

@aligncare please stop. What I wrote was supposed to be lighthearted fun. Annoying maybe, but just fun. You are turning it into something malicious, which is not the intent at all. And you are pulling me in the pot with you.

We don't 'hate' anyone here. And we shouldn't troll. IMO

later
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #755 on: September 26, 2016, 03:18:57 pm »
Having difficulty reading for content?  I didn't say the deaths were meaningless, only that your numbers purporting to blame those deaths on us were.  Try to keep up.

No US intervention in Iraq to the extent we did=no massive civilian casualties, that yes, I lay at GWB's feet. I could give a flying RA what Saddam did in his country. He HATED Al Queada. We opened up Iraq for them to put on a real shitshow.  YAY for us. You didn't give any defense for our invasion. If we needed to send Saddam a message a freaking note  strapped to a carrier pigeon would have been enough.  I don't think I've seen any real facts presented making a case for the supposed good we accomplished. And trying to hand it all off to obama doesn't work.

PS: (heh heh heh)

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Silver Pines

« Reply #756 on: September 26, 2016, 03:28:06 pm »
Cruz was interviewed on Glen Beck this morning.  I just caught the last minute at most...he's supposed to review it in the next 30 min.  Beck didn't sound too happy...bet he's going to rip Cruz a new one.

My husband is off today, and we both listened.  We looked at each other during the interview more than once and shook our heads.

Cruz was slippery and disingenuous.  He is actually pushing the "binary choice" line now.  Beck asked, "What were you doing at the convention with the "vote your conscience" thing?  What about those of us who can't vote for either of them?"  Ted responded that he doesn't agree with that point of view, that basically voting your conscience means voting for Trump because a third party can't win, and that he was never NeverTrump.  (!!!)  Now that is not true; he once said he couldn't support a man who attacked his wife.

And he said that his speech at the convention had nothing to do with not supporting Trump---it was just an attempt to reach out to the Trump campaign. 

Beck was so upset that he said "g-damn" on air. Now I will admit I'm something of a hothead and I can react emotionally and prematurely at times, and I need time to cool off.  I was angry when Cruz came out for Trump on Friday.  I've had plenty of time to calm down, and I had decided that I would give Cruz the opportunity to explain himself.  As far as I'm concerned, he made things worse.  My husband is a calm, rational man who never reacts emotionally like me; after the interview I asked him if I was overreacting.
He said, "No.  I don't know if he was always just another politician, but he certainly is now."

Now I know Cruz has a great conservative rating and has done some wonderful things, and I don't doubt he will continue to do so.  But now I see he is, after all, just another politician.  Dana Loesch, who supported him, said Friday in response to his Trump endorsement, "All politicians suck."  Yeah.  They do.

I've been accused of throwing Cruz under the bus, but I won't accept that.  I don't owe my support to anyone.  We've been saying all along that they have to earn our support, and that's true of Cruz, as well.  I will not follow anyone blindly.  Whether or not I would vote for him again is a moot issue, because I don't live in Texas and I think he has screwed his chances to run for president again.  My husband and I have never contributed money to any candidate before, but we sent him a decent amount because we thought he was different.  He threw us under the bus.  Yeah, he does good things, but he is not who we thought he was.  I guess it's true that Washington gets to all of them...it's a matter of degree and of how long it takes.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #757 on: September 26, 2016, 03:34:18 pm »
My husband is off today, and we both listened.  We looked at each other during the interview more than once and shook our heads.

Cruz was slippery and disingenuous.  He is actually pushing the "binary choice" line now.  Beck asked, "What were you doing at the convention with the "vote your conscience" thing?  What about those of us who can't vote for either of them?"  Ted responded that he doesn't agree with that point of view, that basically voting your conscience means voting for Trump because a third party can't win, and that he was never NeverTrump.  (!!!)  Now that is not true; he once said he couldn't support a man who attacked his wife.

And he said that his speech at the convention had nothing to do with not supporting Trump---it was just an attempt to reach out to the Trump campaign. 

Beck was so upset that he said "g-damn" on air. Now I will admit I'm something of a hothead and I can react emotionally and prematurely at times, and I need time to cool off.  I was angry when Cruz came out for Trump on Friday.  I've had plenty of time to calm down, and I had decided that I would give Cruz the opportunity to explain himself.  As far as I'm concerned, he made things worse.  My husband is a calm, rational man who never reacts emotionally like me; after the interview I asked him if I was overreacting.
He said, "No.  I don't know if he was always just another politician, but he certainly is now."

Now I know Cruz has a great conservative rating and has done some wonderful things, and I don't doubt he will continue to do so.  But now I see he is, after all, just another politician.  Dana Loesch, who supported him, said Friday in response to his Trump endorsement, "All politicians suck."  Yeah.  They do.

I've been accused of throwing Cruz under the bus, but I won't accept that.  I don't owe my support to anyone.  We've been saying all along that they have to earn our support, and that's true of Cruz, as well.  I will not follow anyone blindly.  Whether or not I would vote for him again is a moot issue, because I don't live in Texas and I think he has screwed his chances to run for president again.  My husband and I have never contributed money to any candidate before, but we sent him a decent amount because we thought he was different.  He threw us under the bus.  Yeah, he does good things, but he is not who we thought he was.  I guess it's true that Washington gets to all of them...it's a matter of degree and of how long it takes.

Cruz was absolutely terrible in that interview. Sleazy comes to mind.....but it doesn't effect the way I feel about Donny. I didn't hate Donny because of Cruz and I am not going to stop hating him because of Cruz either.

Donny is still a rat bastard.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 03:34:55 pm by Frank Cannon »

Silver Pines

« Reply #758 on: September 26, 2016, 03:38:54 pm »
Microaggressor™‏
@SteveDeaceShow Wow, I hope you were listening to Glenn....Really want to hear your take.

Steve Deace ‏@SteveDeaceShow  38m38 minutes ago
I've seen enough on here to know I don't have what it takes to.

Erick Erickson ‏@EWErickson  28m28 minutes ago
The Cruz defense of his Trump endorsement on @glennbeck's show was ever bit as awkward as Santorum's Rubio moment with @JoeNBC

Silver Pines

« Reply #759 on: September 26, 2016, 03:42:03 pm »
Cruz was absolutely terrible in that interview. Sleazy comes to mind.....but it doesn't effect the way I feel about Donny. I didn't hate Donny because of Cruz and I am not going to stop hating him because of Cruz either.

Donny is still a rat bastard.

@Frank Cannon

I agree completely.  Trump's a piece of garbage, always has been.  And I kind of resent that now the yammerers will be yelling,"See, even Cruz says it's a binary choice!"  I think for my damned self.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #760 on: September 26, 2016, 03:49:31 pm »
No.  Cruz caved into the pressure.  He was bullied into it.  He sold us out.  Granted it is a strategic sellout rather than an issue sellout.  But it is a sellout and for the first time I am very ashamed of him.

I'm curious -- how do you know that Cruz is not telling the truth on the Supreme Court issue?  That he truly believes it is a critical issue, and that Trump is a better bet in that regard than is Hillary?  Why are you assuming crass motives of personal self-interest?

I can understand disagreeing with his decision to support Trump.  What I don't understand is assuming that he "sold out" rather than just reached that conclusion for the reasons he stated.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 03:50:47 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Silver Pines

« Reply #761 on: September 26, 2016, 03:54:00 pm »
I'm curious -- how do you know that Cruz is not telling the truth on the Supreme Court issue?  That he truly believes it is a critical issue, and that Trump is a better bet in that regard than is Hillary?  Why are you assuming crass motives of personal self-interest?

I can understand disagreeing with his decision to support Trump.  What I don't understand is assuming that he "sold out" rather than just reached that conclusion for the reasons he stated.

@Maj. Bill Martin

The problem is, Cruz is on record saying that Trump is a pathological liar who lies about everything.  Beck and crew pressed him on that---asked why they believe him on the issue of the justices.  His only response, and it was a lame one, was that Trump committed "publicly."

Every time we've seen Trump lie it's been public.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #762 on: September 26, 2016, 03:54:58 pm »
FYI....don't ever buy a Visio tv....   I got the black screen of death this morning after roughly 2 years of use.  What a piece of crap.....

I second that.  I rarely use a TV...going months at a time without it on.  So even though mine was over warranty when it died, it had seen minimal usage.  Unbelievable. 

I've gotten a Samsung to replace it, because of higher ratings.  Not the features of the Visio, but I'm hoping it will last.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #763 on: September 26, 2016, 03:56:25 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

The problem is, Cruz is on record saying that Trump is a pathological liar who lies about everything.  Beck and crew pressed him on that---asked why they believe him on the issue of the justices.  His only response, and it was a lame one, was that Trump committed "publicly."

Every time we've seen Trump lie it's been public.

Yes, we're pretty much screwed. 

Online libertybele

« Reply #764 on: September 26, 2016, 03:56:26 pm »
Yes, I heard it and I pretty much agree with him, but I don't like it one little bit.

Basically he's voting against Hillary and for hopefully keeping  the SCOTUS conservative, with hoping being the key word.  He even admitted that he's not certain Trump will do what he says ... he was given a list with Mike Lee's name added to it.  That's it.  As for the convention ... he gave a great speech ... he claims it was misconstrued .... Ted should have clarified things as he was being 'booed' off the stage or shortly thereafter.  He took tremendous criticism for it being a matter of his intent not understood to not say something unless his intent was clearly understood.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #765 on: September 26, 2016, 03:57:30 pm »

I've never thought of Cruz as anything other than a man, in a position to help make legislation, whom I happen to agree with 95% of the time.

As far as politicians go, that make him a rare commodity.

I never went in for personality cults, nor do I think there is such a thing as a political messiah. So I am not distraught at his recent statements.

I will continue to support the man in any way I can, and I think he will make a fantastic president.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #766 on: September 26, 2016, 04:02:02 pm »
your side refers to Trump in a myriad of most disparaging ways:  "Orange God", "Orange Julius", etc.

I'm curious, @DCPatriot....did you ever complain about Trump's slanderous epithets against others?  Or are you complaining just because these disparaging discriptions are directed at the candidate you support?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Silver Pines

« Reply #767 on: September 26, 2016, 04:05:37 pm »
Yes, we're pretty much screwed.

@Sanguine

Yep.  I think I'll write in Sweet Meteor of Death.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #768 on: September 26, 2016, 04:10:51 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

I'm still not understanding the argument.  I don't believe, and I don't think Cruz believes, that Trump is 100% certain to appoint conservative justices.  Trump may well be lying, or just change his mind.  I know that's a possibility, and so does Cruz.  Trump likely doesn't believe in much of anything except himself.

But the way I (and I think Cruz) see it, that still is preferable to Hillary, who is a committed ideologue who will absolutely name leftist justices to the Court.  Isn't a coin flip at least arguably better than a certain loss?

I personally think the odds are better than 50-50.  I do believe he really doesn't care all that much about it, but I also believe he is pretty shrewed.  IF he were to betray the GOP on that issue right off the bat, he would instantly lose the only potential base of support he has.  So, I suspect he'll probably select a justice whom would be much better for conservatives than would Hillary's choice.

Now, maybe I'm wrong about that.  What I don't understand from your side is the apparently certainty that he will appoint someone equivalent to whom Hillary would appoint.  That's the part that doesn't make sense to me.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #769 on: September 26, 2016, 04:14:51 pm »
Hey guys. Working today. Can't come out to play with everyone today.

@aligncare please stop. What I wrote was supposed to be lighthearted fun. Annoying maybe, but just fun. You are turning it into something malicious, which is not the intent at all. And you are pulling me in the pot with you.

We don't 'hate' anyone here. And we shouldn't troll. IMO

later

Then try not saying anything on an open forum, because you might just get a response not in keeping with the arcane spirit of your original post, you know. It happens sometimes.

(Before hitting post I had to double check to make sure your response was not just another parody! You're a hard guy to figure sometimes, no offense meant  ^-^ )

Silver Pines

« Reply #770 on: September 26, 2016, 04:20:28 pm »
I've never thought of Cruz as anything other than a man, in a position to help make legislation, whom I happen to agree with 95% of the time.

As far as politicians go, that make him a rare commodity.

I never went in for personality cults, nor do I think there is such a thing as a political messiah. So I am not distraught at his recent statements.

I will continue to support the man in any way I can, and I think he will make a fantastic president.

@skeeter

First off, skeeter, I want to get something clear here. I've never thought of Cruz as anything but a man, either.   I believed he was a man who would always stand for principle.  And as I posted, I was angry on Friday--I admit it freely.  But I've cooled off, and I am not "distraught."  I wanted to hear some straight talk from Cruz; I was open to it.  I got the opposite instead.  And I won't try to spin it otherwise.

It's because I don't do personality cults that I refuse to spin it. If Ted ran for president, yeah, I'd vote for him because--as I said---he has an excellent conservative rating. 

What I am saying is that he isn't quite the principled man I thought.  Not if he's pushing that "binary choice" crap, or trying to say he was never NeverTrump when he said otherwise,  or that his principled stand at the convention had nothing to do with Trump and that voting your conscience means voting for that dumpster fire.  I just will not spin that.  And I won't apologize for it.

I spent a lot of time defending him to family and friends as a different kind of guy in Washington.  This morning I heard a slippery politician.  It is what it is. 

I hope this goes through....the site keeps timing out for me.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #771 on: September 26, 2016, 04:21:31 pm »
I second that.  I rarely use a TV...going months at a time without it on.  So even though mine was over warranty when it died, it had seen minimal usage.  Unbelievable. 

I've gotten a Samsung to replace it, because of higher ratings.  Not the features of the Visio, but I'm hoping it will last.

Well, I think all of the new flat screens have built-in obsolescence.  I had an old TV repair guy tell me they quit because they overheat; there's no space to cool off the internals.  So I bought a fan and keep it running all the time behind my Visio. I've had it six years and it still runs great. 

I realize this is not possible if you have the TV hung on a wall, but this one is in a recessed area in a wall. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Silver Pines

« Reply #772 on: September 26, 2016, 04:24:14 pm »
  What I don't understand from your side is the apparently certainty that he will appoint someone equivalent to whom Hillary would appoint.  That's the part that doesn't make sense to me.

It's simple for me.  Trump lies habitually and he hasn't the first clue about conservative principles. 

The man recently said he doesn't care if the Senate goes Democrat.  I see no reason why I should expect him to appoint decent judges. 

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #773 on: September 26, 2016, 04:26:37 pm »
I'm starting to think they're deliberately trolling us.

Of course they are. 

They operate as the Trump Gestapo and they believe their job is to intimidate, ridicule and promise punishment on every Conservative who will not bow to their prince.

They declare us a domestic enemy a long time ago.

I simply plan on living up to their charge.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline CSM

« Reply #774 on: September 26, 2016, 04:27:32 pm »
Why don't you try to convince people of the rightness of Trump?  Can you do that? 

That is all that I have ever asked from any Trump supporter.  Even Ted Cruz failed on that account....