Author Topic: Beached boats, pink water as drought depletes Utah's Great Salt Lake  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Beached boats, pink water as drought depletes Utah's Great Salt Lake
CBS/AP September 22, 2016, 9:50 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/beached-boats-pink-water-as-drought-saps-great-salt-lake/

SALT LAKE CITY -- On the southern shore of Utah’s Great Salt Lake, more than 100 boats are sitting high and dry in a parking lot, unable to sail the shallow, drought-stricken sea.

North of the nearly empty marina, salt-loving bacteria thriving in the low water has turned the liquid pink.

The massive lake, key to the state’s economy and identity, is skirting record low levels after years of below-average precipitation and record heat. A few dozen lawmakers are taking a road trip Thursday and Friday to see the problems firsthand and learn what they can do to help -- besides praying for more rain and snow this winter.

State officials said in July, that the lake is at its lowest level since the 1960s, before the causeway was in place, CBS affiliate KUTV reported....
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/beached-boats-pink-water-as-drought-saps-great-salt-lake/
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Beached boats, pink water as drought depletes Utah's Great Salt Lake
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 09:29:01 pm »
Which I'm sure is all due to global warming except....what was going on in the 60's to make the lake so low?
The Republic is lost.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 11:11:33 pm »
Which I'm sure is all due to global warming except....what was going on in the 60's to make the lake so low?

@Idaho_Cowboy

Pink water in The Great Salt Lake isn't an unusual occurrence. There has never been a period of no climate change in the history of this planet.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 12:10:00 am »
Its a big lake in a desert.

There were others that were much bigger like Death Valley.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 12:13:24 am by Cripplecreek »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 12:10:08 am »
Drought,  flood,  it's all just weather. Thus has it ever been.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 12:15:01 am »

The Great Salt Lake is all that remains of lake Bonneville. Bonneville broke through and all drained through a gap like the Black Sea. So I've been told.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 12:15:45 am »

What they left out is that in the early 80's they built a pumping station to pump water into the west desert after years of to much rain and the lake was threating west Salt Lake with flooding. Quite likely that the levels would be higher today had the pumping not occurred.

People's tendency to make short term decisions like this do not necessarily pan out on a geologic or climatic time scale.

I remember the lake in the 50's it was much smaller and much saltier than it is today...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 12:35:38 am by montanajoe »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 12:28:30 am »

Huh. Your graphic didn't show when I made my comment.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 12:29:32 am »
Huh. Your graphic didn't show when I made my comment.

That's because I added it later or you're insane. Your call.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 12:41:55 am »

This one time I regret reaching down my throat and strangling Obiwan.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 12:49:05 am »

That is kind of neat. Change your post I mean.  Not that it would be any saving grace for me. Probably be like adding a couple of nails.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 12:50:47 am »
That is kind of neat. Change your post I mean.  Not that it would be any saving grace for me. Probably be like adding a couple of nails.

I like that modify post option.

After I posted I figured I could find a map of some of the ancient lakes. Dry lakebeds all over the west.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 01:16:22 am »
I like that modify post option.

After I posted I figured I could find a map of some of the ancient lakes. Dry lakebeds all over the west.

I was on my wife's laptop then switched to the big screen desktop in my bedroom. I thought hers might not be displaying graphics properly. You saved me CC from trying to fix something that didn't need fixin'. That can get pretty frustrating.

My uncle has a big interest in local history. He has found a couple of caves around the 'high' water marks from Lake Bonneville in Nevada. Fire burnt ceilings. Enough to think that human inhabitants were there when the lake was. That would be the only reason for an extended occupancy in that desolate location. That puts the date for people there quite a while ago.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 01:24:50 am »
I was on my wife's laptop then switched to the big screen desktop in my bedroom. I thought hers might not be displaying graphics properly. You saved me CC from trying to fix something that didn't need fixin'. That can get pretty frustrating.

My uncle has a big interest in local history. He has found a couple of caves around the 'high' water marks from Lake Bonneville in Nevada. Fire burnt ceilings. Enough to think that human inhabitants were there when the lake was. That would be the only reason for an extended occupancy in that desolate location. That puts the date for people there quite a while ago.

Old fish camps.

Better yet, Fish Camp women.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhKjUGB_BQ8

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 01:25:08 am by Cripplecreek »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 01:27:40 am »
Old fish camps.

Better yet, Fish Camp women.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhKjUGB_BQ8

I wondered what happened to Huey Lewis.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 03:49:57 am »
This one time I regret reaching down my throat and strangling Obiwan.
Get over it, you will.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 04:05:31 am »
Get over it, you will.

Pretty sure everyone knows I'm insane. So I was headed for door number 1. I know what Obiwan would have said. Don't let it drive you crazy. That would be insane.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 07:56:54 am »
Pretty sure everyone knows I'm insane. So I was headed for door number 1. I know what Obiwan would have said. Don't let it drive you crazy. That would be insane.
Sorry, Fred, I was channeling Yoda...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis