Author Topic: 'I can't find a job because I don't speak Spanish': Working class Alabama woman says changing demographics brought on by illegal immigration has left her struggling to find employment - Daily Mail  (Read 1083 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
'I can't find a job because I don't speak Spanish': Working class Alabama woman says changing demographics brought on by illegal immigration has left her struggling to find employment

Sandra Langlois, 42, is a resident of Albertville, Alabama, where the demographic has changed significantly due to immigration
    She says she is still unemployed because she has told prospective bosses she doesn't speak Spanish
    30 per cent of the population of the town of Albertville is Hispanic
    A CNN poll shows that working class whites feel that immigrants have negatively impacted their job prospects
    Survey finds that working class whites in the South are more likely to support deporting illegal immigrants

A white middle class Alabama woman says she has been rejected by prospective employers because she doesn't speak Spanish. 

Sandra Langlois, a native of Albertville, Alabama, told CNN the changing demographics brought on by illegal immigration has left working class whites like herself struggling to find gainful employment.

Langlois, a 42-year-old woman who as a child immigrated to the United States legally from Germany, said: 'It's kind of, really, discrimination. If you're not here legally, then you need to go ahead and go back home... They need to come over here the right way. Don't sneak over. Don't stay here.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3802953/Working-class-Alabama-woman-says-changing-demographics-brought-illegal-immigration-left-struggling-employment.html#ixzz4L6C69aMv

She's xenophobic.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Market places always change. What is she doing to make herself marketable? Or is she just waiting for a white knight from the government to help?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Thanks for the anecdote now for the news...
@AbaraXas

When my son went to work over at the jerky plant he said they told him he needed to learn Spanish. He told them No. I don't. He is still working there.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
This could be resolved by state lawmakers at the state level.

Pass an "anti-discrimination" law stating that no one who speaks English can be denied a job in the workplace (perhaps with the proviso that jobs specifically for "translators" will be exempted from the law).

Then let a case or two come before the court system.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

This could be resolved by state lawmakers at the state level.

Pass an "anti-discrimination" law stating that no one who speaks English can be denied a job in the workplace (perhaps with the proviso that jobs specifically for "translators" will be exempted from the law).

Then let a case or two come before the court system.
Yep, let's have government force businesses to hire less valuable employees that may not be able to do the job as efficiently. Screwing up the labor market is not the key to success.

“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline sinkspur

Yep, let's have government force businesses to hire less valuable employees that may not be able to do the job as efficiently. Screwing up the labor market is not the key to success.

Yes.  If I, as an employer,  find that some customers would prefer to do business in Spanish,  why can't I require that of a customer support rep so that the customer can be channeled to the proper sales person? 

Whatever happened to the prospective EMPLOYEE adapting to the requirements of the EMPLOYER?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

Yes.  If I, as an employer,  find that some customers would prefer to do business in Spanish,  why can't I require that of a customer support rep so that the customer can be channeled to the proper sales person? 

Whatever happened to the prospective EMPLOYEE adapting to the requirements of the EMPLOYER?
Cuz 'Merika!

I'm going to go way out on a limb here. I think some exhibit a lot of angst of the language thing but I'm not sure why. For starters I don't think the government should necessarily cater to Spanish speaking folks or any other language it's a lot cheaper to just print things in English.

That said, this country, since the arrival of the first settlers has not been one homogeneous group with one language. If you were in Santa Fe or California early on it would behoove you to know Spanish. A lot of places in Idaho have French names (Boise for example) because of the influence of the French fur trappers. If you were one of those fur trapper it would help to know Nez Perce. Like most of American culture language has evolved and will continue to do so.