Author Topic: Canada is pumping so much oil to the U.S. there are not enough pipelines to carry it  (Read 1290 times)

Offline thackney

Canada is pumping so much oil to the U.S. there are not enough pipelines to carry it
http://business.financialpost.com/news/energy/canada-is-pumping-so-much-oil-to-the-u-s-theres-not-enough-pipelines-to-carry-it?__lsa=7d09-827a
September 23, 2016

Canada is sending a record amount of oil to the U.S., filling pipelines to capacity and threatening to push more crude into rail cars.

U.S. imports from its northern neighbour jumped 17 per cent to 3.46 million barrels a day last week, the U.S. Energy Information Administration said Wednesday in a preliminary report. That’s the most since the agency began collecting such data in 2010. Exports have surged as Alberta recovers from wildfires that disrupted supplies earlier this year.

Supplies from the oil sands are piling up as producers bring back output and projects that had been delayed by the fires come online. The glut highlights Canada’s dependence on the U.S. market after TransCanada Corp.’s seven-year struggle to get approval for the Keystone XL link to the Gulf of Mexico failed while its proposed Energy East line to the Atlantic Coast faces mounting opposition in Canada. The stress on existing lines means more crude will be hauled by rail at higher costs and the discount on Canadian crude will likely widen.

“As volumes continue to build, so will the pressure on the constrained pipelines system,” Kevin Birn, a director at IHS Energy in Calgary, said by e-mail Wednesday. “At some point in the coming months those volumes could very well overtake available capacity and increased movements of rail should be expected.”

Pipeline Capacity

Enbridge Inc.’s mainline system, the most important conduit for shipping Canadian crude into the U.S., has been running above its 2.4 million-barrel-a-day capacity and was full in August, according to Genscape Inc. analyst Ryan Saxton. Other lines including Spectra Energy’s Express and TransCanada’s Keystone were about 89 per cent full last month.

Western Canadian Select heavy crude is trading at a discount of US$14.30 a barrel to West Texas Intermediate, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. WTI for November delivery advanced 98 cents to settle at US$46.32 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange on Thursday. The U.S. benchmark is down almost 60 per cent from its 2014 peak.

The discount on Canadian crude could expand to a one-year high of US$16 a barrel by year end as a bigger price spread will be needed to encourage the use of rail, a more expensive method of shipment, said Eric Peterson, research chief at Denver-based ARB Midstream LLC, an oil transport investor....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

One would think counter-intuitive, production flowing so freely at still low prices.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

One would think counter-intuitive, production flowing so freely at still low prices.

Once the massive capital investment is made, they need the cash flow.  It is the new investments that have been put on hold.  Projects that were nearly done had to be completed to get the cash flow started.

Once the massive capital investment is made, they need the cash flow.  It is the new investments that have been put on hold.  Projects that were nearly done had to be completed to get the cash flow started.
that is true only for larger projects.  It has been two years now since the low prices hit.

Small projects, like the bulk of North America's current capital expenditures, go toward unconventionals, which can stop spending on the laying down of a rig.   

It remains puzzling to me.  Wish we had a chart showing production added by large projects like offshore and Steamflood expansions.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

that is true only for larger projects.  It has been two years now since the low prices hit.

Small projects, like the bulk of North America's current capital expenditures, go toward unconventionals, which can stop spending on the laying down of a rig.   

It remains puzzling to me.  Wish we had a chart showing production added by large projects like offshore and Steamflood expansions.

Remember, we are talking about Canada, not all North America.  Many of those oil sand projects are 10 years to production after the dollars are approved.  If you are in year 8 with all of the major components in fabrication or already on site, completing the project makes the most economic sense.

Remember, we are talking about Canada, not all North America.  Many of those oil sand projects are 10 years to production after the dollars are approved.  If you are in year 8 with all of the major components in fabrication or already on site, completing the project makes the most economic sense.

Yeah, I realize that there are oil sand projects there.

But over 50% of Canada's liquids production is non-bitumen sources.  I just do not know how much production growth was coming from oil sands vs otherwise in prodcution additions since 4th qtr of 2014.

I know most of Canada's shale is in the form of shale gas, but i do know they have oil shales.  As an example, the Bakken extends into Canada.

Offline thackney

Yeah, I realize that there are oil sand projects there.

But over 50% of Canada's liquids production is non-bitumen sources.  I just do not know how much production growth was coming from oil sands vs otherwise in prodcution additions since 4th qtr of 2014.

I know most of Canada's shale is in the form of shale gas, but i do know they have oil shales.  As an example, the Bakken extends into Canada.

75% of Western Canada oil production is either bitumen sourced or heavy oil.  That is the area where most of our imports come from and where several large sands projects were a year or two from completion when the oil price started falling.  Lots of those SAGD  :th_10444:for heavy oil are large projects with many years to build out.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 11:12:00 pm by thackney »

75% of Western Canada oil production is either bitumen sourced or heavy oil.  That is the area where most of our imports come from and where several large sands projects were a year or two from completion when the oil price started falling.  Lots of those SAGD  :th_10444:for heavy oil are large projects with many years to build out.

Ok, looked into it and it appears there were several good size expansions or start-ups happening.  Seems there were some improved maintenance and efficiencies going on as well.  There is some more coming on line soon.  Lots of project deferrals too.

Good source here http://www.albertacanada.com/files/albertacanada/AOSID_QuarterlyUpdate_Spring2016.pdf