Author Topic: Congress must prove it can still efficiently provide public works to enhance the private sector -George Will  (Read 607 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Congress must prove it can still efficiently provide public works to enhance the private sector
By George Will
Published Sept. 22, 2016
Read more at http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/will092216.php3#qE8g05v6sE8UMG8A.99

Charleston, S.C. ---Technology has put powerful computers in billions of pockets, but an invention much more mundane than the smartphone - the shipping container: a rectangular steel box - also has changed the world. Because of it, two of today's preoccupations - infrastructure and globalization - are connected by a chain of events that began more than 60 years ago and today runs through Congress and to the wharves of Charleston's booming port.
In 1934, Malcolm McLean, a North Carolina high-school graduate struggling in the Depression, spent $120 earned pumping gas to buy a used truck. In 1955, running what would become the nation's fifth largest trucking company, McLean had an idea: The process of loading ships - swarms of stevedores stowing (and often pilfering) cargo packed into ships' holds in different sizes of wooden crates - was so slow that ships often spent more time in ports than at sea. Cargo brought to docks on trucks or rail cars and sealed in standardized containers could be loaded 20 times faster per ton, and for one-20th the cost.

McLean was no Steve Jobs. He was, however, one reason your smartphone is so affordable, and one reason billions of people around the world, having been swept into the global trade system that McLean's boxes facilitate, can afford such phones.

Protruding from one of the approximately 10,000 containers here are 13-foot-tall tires ($80,000 apiece) heading for off-road mining vehicles in Australia, Brazil, and elsewhere. The tires are made in Lexington, S.C. About 200 miles inland, in the Greenville-Spartanburg area, there is a building boom ignited by the Charleston port, and now by the widening of the Panama Canal....
Read more at http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/will092216.php3#qE8g05v6sE8UMG8A.99
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

geronl

It can't

Government does not do anything efficiently

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
George Will is the inside the Washington Beltway example of a conservative!   :3:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Simply another form of Fascism, and isn't it interesting how many self-identifying Conservatives believe in bigger government that the think they can better manage?
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

geronl

George Will is the inside the Washington Beltway example of a conservative!   :3:

more conservative than Trump.... which is not saying much

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
George Will has always been in the squishy middle of conservatism, he doesn't pretend otherwise, that I know of.   
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:40:06 pm by Idaho_Cowboy »
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour