Author Topic: Memo to GOP 'Never Trumpers': Reagan Isn't Rising From the Dead (Townhall)  (Read 1590 times)

Online corbe

Larry Elder   Posted: Sep 22, 2016 12:01 AM

For the millionth time, Trump is not a fiscal conservative. He is a populist. And his near-embrace by many evangelicals notwithstanding, New Yorker Trump with "New York values" is likely pro-choice and pro-gay marriage. The man doesn't even go to church. And speaking of "traditional Republicans": GOP voters backed Mitt "Romneycare" Romney and John "McCain-Feingold" McCain, but they draw the line at insufficiently conservative Trump?

<...snip...>

http://townhall.com/columnists/larryelder/2016/09/22/memo-to-gop-never-trumpers-reagan-isnt-rising-from-the-dead-n2221850
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

Re: Memo to GOP 'Never Trumpers': Reagan Isn't Rising From the Dead (Townhall)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 02:47:08 pm »
   Sadly, neither is Eisenhower.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 02:54:50 pm »
Memo to GOP 'Never Trumpers': Reagan Isn't Rising From the Dead

I'm not looking for Reagan Larry, but I am not looking for an open Statist who lies more than Tommy Flanagan either.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 02:58:30 pm »
What a miserable screed... Enough of the 'just give up' crap. If I wanted NY liberal values, I'd be a Democrat.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 03:03:24 pm »
Not only that but most people under 40 have no idea who or Reagan was about except from what they were taught in class (which probably wouldn't be favorable to him).

Conservative media and pundits needs to progress beyond stale platitudes about Reagan.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 03:04:47 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Online corbe

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 03:04:15 pm »
   Rachael Dolezal started quite the movement.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 03:05:18 pm »
Reagan may not be rising from the dead, but it appears that Huey Long has.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 03:11:53 pm »
Reagan may not be rising from the dead, but it appears that Huey Long has.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 03:12:19 pm »
This is just another straw man.  It would have helped if Trump's beliefs were more in line with ours.  But the opposition isn't ideological, in large part.  Most NeverTrumpers would have voted for any sane person to keep Hillary out.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 03:31:51 pm »
This is just another straw man.  It would have helped if Trump's beliefs were more in line with ours.  But the opposition isn't ideological, in large part.  Most NeverTrumpers would have voted for any sane person to keep Hillary out.

:amen:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 03:36:11 pm »
The writer is under the belief that the best way to attract conservatives to Trump is to attack conservative principles

Perhaps he needs to look at the US debt clock to understand why a lot of us are concerned about Trump
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 03:39:36 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 03:48:23 pm »
Is this supposed to make me rethink not voting for Trump? 

Reagan was a decent human being.  Trump is not.

End of story.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 04:08:41 pm »
Is this supposed to make me rethink not voting for Trump? 

Apparently.  Of course, we wouldn't be here if the GOP had nominated somebody who was even modestly fit for the office....  But apparently "fitness for office" is not one of those things we're supposed to consider.

HonestJohn

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 04:28:52 pm »
Well, this election is definitely highlighting which pundits/voters/politicians understand the fundamentals from which America was created...

... and which who don't.

Chalk another one up who doesn't understand the basis from which sprung forth the American nation. 

(for one cannot, in good conscious, argue that one should support someone that would tear those principles down)

Silver Pines

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 04:36:20 pm »
Reagan's dead.  God love his soul, but it's past time to move on and recognize that we're not going to find a carbon copy of the man. 

Offline beandog

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 04:52:16 pm »
The funny thing is it is not we who are always bringing Reagan up.  It is the tRumpkins who are either comparing the Donald positively to Reagan or denigrating Reagan for some of the things he did to make the Donald look better.  I am not looking for another Reagan.  Reagan was an excellent President at the time and for the time.  Would he be now, who knows.  Things have drastically changed since then.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 04:57:47 pm »
The funny thing is it is not we who are always bringing Reagan up.  It is the tRumpkins who are either comparing the Donald positively to Reagan or denigrating Reagan for some of the things he did to make the Donald look better.  I am not looking for another Reagan.  Reagan was an excellent President at the time and for the time.  Would he be now, who knows.  Things have drastically changed since then.

Yeah, but one of the sure things of any primary campaign in the past 20+ years has been the scramble among candidates over who best "wears the mantle of Ronald Reagan." 

It's really just a sign of the party's decline.  As you say, Reagan was excellent at the time and for the time.  Times have changed, and the challenges have changed.... but the party's ideas and solutions (what few of them there actually are) have not changed with them. 

Reagan himself was a man of ideas, which is why he was successful.  And what we have now is.... Trump?

Offline jpsb

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 05:00:26 pm »
Another day, another creep trying to shame and insult me into voting for Trump.  NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!! 

Hillary Clinton thanks you for your support.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 05:05:37 pm »
Hillary Clinton thanks you for your support.

Oooh.  Good one!

Offline beandog

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 05:14:22 pm »
Yeah, but one of the sure things of any primary campaign in the past 20+ years has been the scramble among candidates over who best "wears the mantle of Ronald Reagan." 

It's really just a sign of the party's decline.  As you say, Reagan was excellent at the time and for the time.  Times have changed, and the challenges have changed.... but the party's ideas and solutions (what few of them there actually are) have not changed with them. 

Reagan himself was a man of ideas, which is why he was successful.  And what we have now is.... Trump?
Oh, I agree with you.  What I'm tired of is people like the person who wrote this column claiming that "NevertRumpers" are just lost in the past and that nobody can ever live up to our ideal, Reagan.  This is not true.  Sen. Cruz was certainly not Reagan but I believe that his love of this country and his ideals would have helped us go forward.  Unfortunately, he does not have the same command of self that Reagan had.  I'm not sure too many people have that.    We have picked an anti-Reagan, tRump, and that is what is sad.

geronl

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 05:18:18 pm »
Just judging from the title I wouldn't click the link

Offline r9etb

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 05:18:45 pm »
We have picked an anti-Reagan, tRump, and that is what is sad.

Indeed.  And the contest itself seems to be a battle between Huey Long and Tammany Hall.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 05:28:35 pm »
Yeah, well, so what? Reagan was the man for the job 36 years ago. Times were different. Circumstances were different. Republicans could still easily win the Presidency at the time.

We need someone different. Yet both candidates are 70-year-old Baby Boomers making their last stand.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 05:30:26 pm »
Reagan Isn't Rising From the Dead

If you're familiar with the postings of some of the Trump faithful its clear they believes he has.