Author Topic: Cruz warms to Trump  (Read 12094 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Cruz warms to Trump
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2016, 11:41:28 am »
Why would Cruz say anything when he's kept his mouth shut for two months?   Does he really despise Trump and think he's a sociopath, as he said when he lost Indiana on May 3 and quit?
When he passionately defended his father and his wife from the attacks Trump made on them? 

Or is this another calculated move looking to quell whatever anxiety Texas Trumpkins have about him?  Has he completely forgotten what he said on May 3?

Anyway, I'm done with this.  I knew I'd catch hell, but that's fine.  Ted sucked up to Cruz for six months last year when the principled position was Jeb's:  point out  what a cretin Trump was.  Cruz would have gained a huge amount of respect from Republicans of all stripes.  But, no, Ted said he admired Trump. Why?  Because he wanted Trump's voters.

Sickening.
How many of Cruz's positions in the Senate has Trump supported in the last two months, Sink? This one. The rest of the time the big story has been how Trump will fund a primary challenger to Cruz, yadda yadda yadda. This is the first time Trump hostility has backed down long enough to support keeping the Internet control in the US. Cruz is backing that issue, and Trump chimed in on the same side. Cruz acknowledged that support.

Cruz was polite and fair in doing so. The two might be able to find common ground if the Trump camp quits attacking, and even Trump is enough of a negotiator to recognize that.

As for shutting down the government, that exposed the Obamites for the goons they are. It's the only time I get to sleep really well, when the government isn't going to get anything done. ANY other Republican could have stepped up and joined Cruz to do that. Where were they? Lined up down to the Reflecting Pool? Oh, Hell no. They were whining like Democrats. That was a litmus test moment, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2016, 11:42:06 am »
I will neither think more nor less of Cruz if he ends up endorsing Trump. Although I would prefer he do it after Trump apologizes to him personally for being such a perfect slandering assh*le during the primaries. But thats between the two of them.

All I want Cruz to do is to keep up what he's been doing since he was elected to the senate - loudly representing conservative issues.

That's where I am at with this as well.
If they can work out their differences, who am I to fault that?
Myself, should I choose at the end of the day to vote for Trump, will not be based on whether or not Cruz endorses him or not.
I want to see Hillary defeated, and there are people who may vote based on that endorsement, but in my opinion, should all freely decide for themselves, anyway.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2016, 11:50:06 am »
That's where I am at with this as well.
If they can work out their differences, who am I to fault that?
Myself, should I choose at the end of the day to vote for Trump, will not be based on whether or not Cruz endorses him or not.
I want to see Hillary defeated, and there are people who may vote based on that endorsement, but in my opinion, should all freely decide for themselves, anyway.

I would add that I also won't think any more or less of Trump based on a Cruz endorsement.  I can look at the man and make up my own mind independent of what anyone else thinks.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2016, 12:00:12 pm »
Well I don't know what else to call actually giving support to a man whose politics opposes your own, giving support to a man who likened your father to a presedential assassin and mocked your wife's looks. If you have a more accurate word than 'sellout', I'll be glad to consider using it. But it meets the definition fully so theres little point.

Hopefully Ted does not sell out.
I agree.
I don't think that endorsement is coming, and I don't think Cruz will sell out. Trump would lose all respect for Cruz if it did. As it stands, Trump is getting over his butthurt enough to realize having a stalwart fellow in the Senate is a good thing, and that when they agree the two together could be a powerful political force, based on principle--if Trump wins. They'll likely butt heads again, but when they agree it could be solid.

Cruz will play fair, which is what his acknowledgement did, but he won't likely sell out.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2016, 12:05:41 pm »
I would add that I also won't think any more or less of Trump based on a Cruz endorsement.  I can look at the man and make up my own mind independent of what anyone else thinks.

The whole Trump vs.Cruz thing has been interesting, to say the least.
I know plenty of people who will vote for Trump in 2016 and vote for Cruz in 2018.
It isn't that weird.
One vote is the most viable option, at this point, to keep Hillary out of office.
The other is a vote for a constitutional conservative senator, trying to reign in government overreach.
While I may be on the fence still about Trump, I can understand the logic.
My reasons for being on the fence, really have nothing to do with the Trump/Cruz dust up.
Well, maybe a little, because it showed the character of Trump.
Mostly, it is Trump's own policy proposals that I have issues with.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2016, 12:10:13 pm »
The whole Trump vs.Cruz thing has been interesting, to say the least.
I know plenty of people who will vote for Trump in 2016 and vote for Cruz in 2018.
It isn't that weird.
One vote is the most viable option, at this point, to keep Hillary out of office.
The other is a vote for a constitutional conservative senator, trying to reign in government overreach.
While I may be on the fence still about Trump, I can understand the logic.
My reasons for being on the fence, really have nothing to do with the Trump/Cruz dust up.
Well, maybe a little, because it showed the character of Trump.
Mostly, it is Trump's own policy proposals that I have issues with.

I'm with ya.

And as a reality check on the election, if my one vote makes the difference on whether Trump wins or loses Texas, then he is already well on his way to an epic 40+ state landslide loss.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2016, 12:13:50 pm »
Damn it people. Cruz is the only real voice out there trying to save the internet from full out control from the Globalists and Trump seems receptive of his work. I see no reason why Cruz can't compliment him for finally picking the right side of an issue and try to get as many main stream voices on board as possible. Like it or not, Trump is a loud voice right now in the news cycles and can help stop this awful idea.
Precisely. This ain't beanbag, but playing fair is playing fair. Thanking Trump for his support on the issue isn't an endorsement of Trump, it's called being polite and giving credit where credit is due. Nothing more, nothing less. Or has the concept of fairness and decency left the building entirely?

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2016, 12:19:53 pm »
Hold his fire? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-ted-cruz-wooed-and-won-donald-trump/2015/09/01/04f9f65e-4cec-11e5-84df-923b3ef1a64b_story.html

"Praising" is "sucking up to."
"Not only have I refused to do so, but I have been very consistent in praising Donald Trump and praising the people who are coming out to see him."

I have been consistent in praising Trump and those who come out to see him, too.

I haven't.

See how that works? The key to the statement is "consistent" not "praise". You don't have to be gushing with praise to be consistent, in fact none, consistently, is consistent.

C S Lewis

Offline Truthsearcher

« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2016, 08:09:58 pm »
I've been going back and forth on this a lot, this week I'm leaning toward voting for Trump.  Enemy of my Enemy and all that.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2016, 08:15:44 pm »
I've been going back and forth on this a lot, this week I'm leaning toward voting for Trump.  Enemy of my Enemy and all that.

Same here. Everytime I think i'm finally sold on trump he goes and does something that makes me want to go third party.

Then riots or Hillary escapes justice happens (or something like that) that makes me go "screw it I'm going trump".

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2016, 08:44:33 pm »
Precisely. This ain't beanbag, but playing fair is playing fair. Thanking Trump for his support on the issue isn't an endorsement of Trump, it's called being polite and giving credit where credit is due. Nothing more, nothing less. Or has the concept of fairness and decency left the building entirely?

That seems to be the case.

Offline kartographer

« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2016, 01:29:02 am »
Same here. Everytime I think i'm finally sold on trump he goes and does something that makes me want to go third party.

Then riots or Hillary escapes justice happens (or something like that) that makes me go "screw it I'm going trump".

Charley Waite: "Well you may not know this, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dying."

Offline Fantom

« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2016, 01:38:36 am »

Is that Jimmy Carter?... Nope , just a look alike.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline kartographer

« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2016, 01:46:19 am »

Is that Jimmy Carter?... Nope , just a look alike.

Just goes to show how uneducated Americans have become with someone on a conservative forum doesn't know who  Ezra Taft Beson is.  :thud:
Charley Waite: "Well you may not know this, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dying."

Offline Truthsearcher

« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2016, 01:16:15 pm »

The problem with this is that there are only 2 candidates. So the best possible candidates is either Hilary or Trump. Everyone else have a 0% chance of winning and therefore they are by definition impossible candidates.    Because if I had to consider people with 0% chance of winning as  possible candidates I might as well just write my own name in, from my perspective I would be the best candidate since I agree with myself on everything and will do the best job of representing my values, and if chance of winning is not a criteria I should always vote for myself as the best possible candidate.

Silver Pines

« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2016, 01:44:05 pm »
The problem with this is that there are only 2 candidates. So the best possible candidates is either Hilary or Trump. Everyone else have a 0% chance of winning and therefore they are by definition impossible candidates.    Because if I had to consider people with 0% chance of winning as  possible candidates I might as well just write my own name in, from my perspective I would be the best candidate since I agree with myself on everything and will do the best job of representing my values, and if chance of winning is not a criteria I should always vote for myself as the best possible candidate.

@Truthsearcher

No, either Trump or Hillary are your best possible choice only if you believe one of them will benefit the country.  Many of us are convinced that is not the case, so logically the best choice is to refrain from inflicting either on the nation.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 01:44:30 pm by CatherineofAragon »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2016, 02:50:09 pm »

2ndDivisionVet has a quote about the 2012 election that is something like:

"This election is about the lesser of 2 evils, if you are a dumb ##"

The cute tired lil' captioned picture above is lazy and gets posted enough to be spam, so back at ya.

There is no doubt in my mind that if Romney had been elected, the world would be much better off. But no, some of the same things were said.

I can understand some people being apprehensive about Trump; they were of Goldwater, Kennedy and Reagan too.

But that kind of thinking really should be put in perspective.

Offline Truthsearcher

« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2016, 03:18:43 pm »
@Truthsearcher

No, either Trump or Hillary are your best possible choice only if you believe one of them will benefit the country.  Many of us are convinced that is not the case, so logically the best choice is to refrain from inflicting either on the nation.

They are my *only* possible choice, so by definition one of them has to be the best possible choice, with other other being the worst possible choice.

Silver Pines

« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2016, 03:40:06 pm »
They are my *only* possible choice, so by definition one of them has to be the best possible choice, with other other being the worst possible choice.

@Truthsearcher

Again, no one is holding a gun to your head.  You have several options---to vote third party, to write in a name, to vote downticket only, or to abstain from voting.  Trump/Hillary are your only choices if you're being forced to support either, which you are not----or if you believe one would actually benefit the country.

Many of us are taking advantage of our freedom to select from those options I just outlined.  Trump/Hillary are only two of them.

Offline kartographer

« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2016, 04:10:31 pm »

That's the problem with having a 'World View' of things, doing the right things should be easy, doing the right thing means you win and guess what neither is true! You do the right thing because that is what you are suppose to do not because you will gain or be rewarded.

Do you think that those Christians who ISIS gave the choice of converting to Islam or watch their children be slaughter did the right thing when they refused to deny their God? You think it was an easy choice?

"I can honestly say that I was never affected by the question of the success of an undertaking. If I felt it was the right thing to do, I was for it regardless of the possible outcome." Golda Meir

Also reread the quote you failed to take take in account  the full quote including the part about rather the person you are voting for  can win or not.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Offline CSM

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2016, 04:32:41 pm »
Giving credit where credit is due is hardly warming. It is a display of personal and professional character. Something Donny would know little about.

I agree with you, no matter what spin the author tried to put into the article. 

If Trump is elected, then he will need to find allies in the House and Senate in order to advance his policies.  Why wouldn't a Conservative Senator let him know that this is an area that they can work together to America's benefit.

Offline CSM

« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2016, 04:43:22 pm »
Republicans were down in favorables by 12 points at the end of the shutdown, a shutdown which accomplished nothing and allowed the media and Democrats to trash Republicans. 

Yeah, the result was a resounding defeat of republicans in the next election!  Darn that Senator Cruz and his Cruzbots for costing the Republicans the House and Senate...Oh wait:

November 2014 elections: 

"The elections saw sweeping gains by the Republican Party in the Senate, House, and in numerous gubernatorial, state, and local races. The Republicans gained control of the Senate for the first time since 2006, and increased their majority in the House.[6] The Republicans also gained two seats in governors' races.[7]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_elections,_2014

Offline CSM

« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2016, 04:54:13 pm »
Cuz I don't like Cruz?  Yes, I don't like Cruz.

What I don't have in common with the Trumpkins is that I would vote for Cruz. I would never vote for Trump.

@sinkspur - OK, I find that interesting.  Do you mind me asking, who was your guy of the 17 potential nominees?  I promise that I am not trying to re-ignite any debate about him/her, just curious.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2016, 05:02:32 pm »