Author Topic: Would You Hide a Jew From the Nazis?...Nicholas Kristof  (Read 2638 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Would You Hide a Jew From the Nazis?...Nicholas Kristof
« on: September 17, 2016, 11:37:27 pm »
Would You Hide a Jew From the Nazis?

Nicholas Kristof SEPT. 17, 2016

WHEN representatives from the United States and other countries gathered in Evian, France, in 1938 to discuss the Jewish refugee crisis caused by the Nazis, they exuded sympathy for Jews — and excuses about why they couldn’t admit them. Unto the breach stepped a 33-year-old woman from Massachusetts named Martha Sharp.

With steely nerve, she led one anti-Nazi journalist through police checkpoints in Nazi-occupied Prague to safety by pretending that he was her husband.

Another time, she smuggled prominent Jewish opponents of Naziism, including a leading surgeon and two journalists, by train through Germany, by pretending that they were her household workers.

“If the Gestapo should charge us with assisting the refugees to escape, prison would be a light sentence,” she later wrote in an unpublished memoir. “Torture and death were the usual punishments.”

more
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/opinion/sunday/would-you-hide-a-jew-from-the-nazis.html?ref=opinion
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Would You Hide a Jew From the Nazis?...Nicholas Kristof
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 01:12:36 am »
I had a relative who did (was part of the Weimar resistance, killed in Dachau).  Sadly I think today's society would be much easier manipulated to hate groups than even then. The hatred towards the Jews didn't happen overnight. It was decades in the making, scapegoating them for the loss in WW1 to the financial collapse. It built and built and built. In today's society, with 24/7 media and constant bombardment with messages, overt and subliminal, I think most would be more likely to join the mob than to take a stand and hide someone.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 01:14:46 am »
I won't pretend to courage or virtue I may not have; I can only pray that God would give me the strength to do what was right.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 06:03:41 am »
I won't pretend to courage or virtue I may not have; I can only pray that God would give me the strength to do what was right.

This.

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 06:16:43 am »
Gino Bartali in Italy saved Jews during WWII. Some people actually did this already.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27333310

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 06:21:51 am »
Gino Bartali in Italy saved Jews during WWII. Some people actually did this already.

Hey you dumb fruit, I want you to acknowledge this quote or just fold out.....

“Buchanan winks at barbarism in his new book, There is no other way to describe his views. Buchanan argues that we should have ignored Hitler’s rampage to Eastern Europe during World War II. Hitler meant us no harm, Buchanan says. The same man who argued forcefully — and in my opinion correctly — that we should not give an inch during the Cold War is now saying in effect that Hitler should have been appeased."

“Buchanan has enjoyed a long psychic friendship with Hitler, whom he has called ‘an individual of great courage, a soldier’s soldier and a leader steeped in the history of Europe, He also warns his followers that the United States is controlled by Jews, especially regarding foreign policy. On slow days, he attacks gays, immigrants, welfare recipients, even Zulus. When cornered, he says he’s misunderstood.Buchanan is rewriting history and spreading fear for one purpose: To gain political power. That makes him a very dangerous man.”

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 06:31:47 am »
And help me keep doing it for the duration.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 07:17:34 am »
Hey you dumb fruit, I want you to acknowledge this quote or just fold out.....

Still hasn't answered I see... I thought he would with some inventive tortured logic... Apparently not.

Online DB

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 07:19:19 am »

Frankly I hope to not find out... That hope is thinning though...

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 07:41:07 am »
Well I know that my mother and her sister used to take milk and some food to Jewish children whose family lived near their family farm, until the German soldiers threatened to kill them if they were caught doing it again, seeing as they were only 8 and 11, I guess it's understandable  that they stopped. I have great respect for those that aided the Jews, but also understand those that feared for their own families. Many people in Europe risked prison or death if they went against the Nazis.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 12:09:41 pm »
No.

I would be too busy trying to hide ME from the Nazi's so I could kill more of the MoFo's before they got me.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 12:14:37 pm »
I had a relative who did (was part of the Weimar resistance, killed in Dachau).  Sadly I think today's society would be much easier manipulated to hate groups than even then. The hatred towards the Jews didn't happen overnight. It was decades in the making, scapegoating them for the loss in WW1 to the financial collapse.

@AbaraXas

More like 2,000 years in the making. Germans didn't invent Jew hating. It started with their Semitic cousins,and then the Romans took over,followed by the Catholic Church.

What the Nazi's did was do away with the illusion that Jews were being punished for crimes. They punished them because they were Jewish and admitted it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:14:59 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 12:42:41 pm »

@TomSea

LOTS of people did it. Even the US government was doing it on the sly before we got involved as a player in WW-2.  Or at least SOME of the people within the US government were doing it.  The top Nazi's,although no one has ever named WHICH top Nazi's,had a profit-making scheme going prior to our entering WW-2 as a combatant that allowed any Jew to be ransomed and freed to leave Germany if they had relatives willing to pay the ransom to the SS. Of course they had to sign over the title and all rights to their property and cash in Germany before being allowed to leave. Poor and working class Jews need not apply. It was straight off to the camps for them.

No one seems to know,or if they do know no one will name names,but the US had a deal with the SS and the Cubans that allowed the SS to ship ransomed Jews removed from labor camps to board a pre-war German luxury liner and sail off to Cuba. Once they arrived in Cuban they were allowed to go to shore with tourist visa's,and then make the arrangements they needed to make to get their paperwork to visit relatives in the US. The Germans kept the illusion alive that the Jews were deserting Germany,the Cubans were not saying anything to anybody about anything,and the US State Department never whispered a word about it. Most likely because if they did,they would have had to have admitted they knew about the labor and death camps.

This program worked fine until it didn't. The last shipload of Jews that arrived in Cuba were refused permission to leave the ship with no explanation,and no one from the US embassy made any effort to reach out to the Jews aboard the ship despite the FACT that their America relatives had already paid the bribes and it was supposed to have been a done deal before the ship sailed from Hamburg.

The ship just sat parked in the harbor for a while,with boats supplying them with food and water,and then one day it upped anchor and returned to Germany,Jews and all. IIRC,the ship sat at the docks in Hamburg after it returned because there was a blockade on German shipping by then,and was damaged during the Allied bombing of the port,

MOST of the Jews aboard that last ship seem to have survived the labor and death camps,and a lot of them ended up in Israel after the war was over. One of them wrote a very interesting book about this experience,complete with quotes from fellow survivors,updates at the end about what happened to/with individuals mentioned in the book,and a bunch of photos.

I can't find my copy that I read a decade or more ago. Must have loaned it to someone and never got it back. I did do a web search,and this is the book I THINK I read. BTW,Abe Books is an excellent place to buy used books.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=voyage+of+the+damned&sts=t&tctp=utf8&x=61&y=12

Below is a link to the Wiki page about this ship and this incident,and it has many updates since I read the book,and names a movie made from the book. Very interesting link if you have an interest in history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_St._Louis
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 01:06:10 pm by sneakypete »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 03:29:50 pm »
@TomSea

LOTS of people did it. Even the US government was doing it on the sly before we got involved as a player in WW-2.  Or at least SOME of the people within the US government were doing it.  The top Nazi's,although no one has ever named WHICH top Nazi's,had a profit-making scheme going prior to our entering WW-2 as a combatant that allowed any Jew to be ransomed and freed to leave Germany if they had relatives willing to pay the ransom to the SS. Of course they had to sign over the title and all rights to their property and cash in Germany before being allowed to leave. Poor and working class Jews need not apply. It was straight off to the camps for them.

No one seems to know,or if they do know no one will name names,but the US had a deal with the SS and the Cubans that allowed the SS to ship ransomed Jews removed from labor camps to board a pre-war German luxury liner and sail off to Cuba. Once they arrived in Cuban they were allowed to go to shore with tourist visa's,and then make the arrangements they needed to make to get their paperwork to visit relatives in the US. The Germans kept the illusion alive that the Jews were deserting Germany,the Cubans were not saying anything to anybody about anything,and the US State Department never whispered a word about it. Most likely because if they did,they would have had to have admitted they knew about the labor and death camps.

This program worked fine until it didn't. The last shipload of Jews that arrived in Cuba were refused permission to leave the ship with no explanation,and no one from the US embassy made any effort to reach out to the Jews aboard the ship despite the FACT that their America relatives had already paid the bribes and it was supposed to have been a done deal before the ship sailed from Hamburg.

The ship just sat parked in the harbor for a while,with boats supplying them with food and water,and then one day it upped anchor and returned to Germany,Jews and all. IIRC,the ship sat at the docks in Hamburg after it returned because there was a blockade on German shipping by then,and was damaged during the Allied bombing of the port,

MOST of the Jews aboard that last ship seem to have survived the labor and death camps,and a lot of them ended up in Israel after the war was over. One of them wrote a very interesting book about this experience,complete with quotes from fellow survivors,updates at the end about what happened to/with individuals mentioned in the book,and a bunch of photos.

I can't find my copy that I read a decade or more ago. Must have loaned it to someone and never got it back. I did do a web search,and this is the book I THINK I read. BTW,Abe Books is an excellent place to buy used books.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=voyage+of+the+damned&sts=t&tctp=utf8&x=61&y=12

Below is a link to the Wiki page about this ship and this incident,and it has many updates since I read the book,and names a movie made from the book. Very interesting link if you have an interest in history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_St._Louis
Thanks for the links! I have done business with Abe Books before and agree they are good to do business with.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 04:27:22 pm »

Well said.