Author Topic: Why College Rankings Are a Joke...Frank Bruni  (Read 743 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why College Rankings Are a Joke...Frank Bruni
« on: September 17, 2016, 11:39:12 pm »
Why College Rankings Are a Joke

Frank Bruni SEPT. 17, 2016

Shortly before the newest U.S. News & World Report college rankings came out last week, I got a fresh glimpse of how ridiculous they can be — and of why panicked high school seniors and their status-conscious parents should not spend the next months obsessing over them.

I was reporting a column on how few veterans are admitted to elite colleges and stumbled across a U.S. News sub-ranking of top schools for veterans. Its irrelevance floored me. It merely mirrored the general rankings — same institutions, same order — minus the minority of prominent schools that don’t participate in certain federal education benefits for veterans.

It didn’t take into account whether there were many — or, for that matter, any — veterans on a given campus. It didn’t reflect what support for them did or didn’t exist.

more
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/opinion/sunday/why-college-rankings-are-a-joke.html?ref=opinion
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline endicom

Re: Why College Rankings Are a Joke...Frank Bruni
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 12:16:30 am »
Bruni is right, or mostly so, about the rankings but I don't know why he focuses on such as veterans and diversity. I'm a veteran and never imagined I should be the veteran part of a college diversity drive.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Why College Rankings Are a Joke...Frank Bruni
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 12:06:21 pm »
Veterans are also not hired as often. It's almost as if our armed forces ingrain a totally different system of living that is incompatible with the civilian world.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024