Author Topic: If you’ve reached “the end of Conservatism” because of Trump, your conservatism was pretty thin  (Read 17532 times)

Offline sinkspur

Nick Confessore ‏@nickconfessore  3h3 hours ago
Is there any other modern example of a major-party candidate calling for the Secret Service to withdraw armed protection?
Even close?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
I agree with that.  I think Trump is going to be disappointing a lot of folks with his support for some things that we normally just see from Democrats.  For the most party, he is a typical East Coast Republican.

However, in a couple of key areas, I think there's a better than even chance he'll be better than Hillary, and zero chance he'll be worse.  One thing that very often does not get discussed in these threads is the power of the regulatory state, which is largely depending on cabinet appointments and how beholden the President is to an activist or anti-business agenda.  I think Trump certainly has a better grasp of the burden of regulation on businesses, and is much less likely to appoint cabinet secretaries like Loretta Lynch, Katherine Sebelius, or Burwell.  That's a big deal.

Another big deal to me is the push for social activism in the military.  Hillary is completely beholden to the feminist/LGBT community, and is going to continue Obama's policies of ramming that stuff down the throat of our military to our long term detriment.  Four more years of this stuff, and the entire brass is going to consist of people who either got their position because of their gender or sexual orientation, or who don't have a problem with that happening.  That kind of core rot will hit the foundations of the military and may not ever be dug out.

There is no sign Trump is going to do that, and the military brass that have supported him are from the more conservative end of the spectrum.  For all his flaws, he does seem to have the traditional "alpha male" quality that will not let him buy into that crap.  He'll have zero problem with macho, traditionalist generals who want to maintain a core warrior ethic.

Those may not be enough for some folks, but for me, it's plenty to support him over Hillary, despite his Rockefeller Republican leanings.

I got the completely different idea about Trump.  He has a LGBTQ agenda
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Sorry to see you were fooled.
I'm not sorry, not fooled and and not a fool, I was referring to our fools in Congress. I have no intention of joining the club by voting for a constantly mutating orange.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 07:26:07 am by GtHawk »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Oh, I don't know. Hillary might be OK. Hey, why don't we just give her a chance?

:silly:
What is really, really funny is that is exactly the argument some of you use to try and get people to vote for Trump! Hey Hillary is Satan incarnate (no argument), we know her history, but we don't know what Trump might do. :thud: **nononono* **nononono* **nononono* **nononono*

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
You're in the extreme minority of Americans who will vote for someone who has 0% chance of winning. There's no reason for anyone to bother courting you as a voter when there are much easier people to reach.
Actually, Axel, there is a reason. All they have to do is be a Constitutional Conservative and there is a chance they will have my vote. Being ignorant of the Constitution (all 12 Articles!!!) or doing all in their power to circumvent it, is not the way to get my vote.

For those who swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, where does this leave you?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

Actually, Axel, there is a reason. All they have to do is be a Constitutional Conservative and there is a chance they will have my vote. Being ignorant of the Constitution (all 12 Articles!!!) or doing all in their power to circumvent it, is not the way to get my vote.

For those who swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, where does this leave you?

And the contradiction continues... We are insignificant but it will be all our fault if Hillary wins... Boggles the mind really... And what is at stake between the two major candidates? Which flavor of big government we get... Left progressive or left fascist...