Author Topic: If you’ve reached “the end of Conservatism” because of Trump, your conservatism was pretty thin  (Read 17683 times)

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I wish Warren Zevon were alive today. I'm sure he'd have something to say about this election season, whether I'd agree with him or not.

Probably say we need some lawyers, guns, and money to get us out of this.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

The way her health is going, we might not have to worry about Hillary, will we? So not voting for Trump, even in this narrow viewpoint that any action not voting for Trump is a vote for Hillary, gives us "NeitherNors" the best chance of not getting either one of them.

So instead of her, we'd get Obama 3.0 in Biden.  Or any number of other Democrats who would be so beholden to the left that they'd just stay on Obama's course.  That's a distinction without a difference as far as I'm concerned.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

Might want to tell that to your compatriots who are promising to kill us for treason because we refuse to vote for your prince.

Anyone saying that is an idiot, and if a poster here, should be banned.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I agree with that.  But the only reason she'd win is because the progressive/Democrat machine backs her, and they back her because they know it will keep them in power.  She, herself, is a small person.  It's everyone she'd bring with her, and all the things she'd continue, that are the problem for me.

goopo

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
They probably wouldn't consider you treasonous if this place weren't branded as a forum for Republicans.

Axel, you know that's not true. 

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
We have two garbage heap boomer candidates who were nominated by equally garbage heap boomer voters.
Millennials are wondering why we are giving one more change to #$% everything up to the generation already responsible for @#$$ everything up.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Wingnut

I wish Warren Zevon were alive today. I'm sure he'd have something to say about this election season, whether I'd agree with him or not.

I think he wrote "Excitable Boy" about Trump
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:21:03 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Night Hides Not

From "Excitable Boy", which turned me into a big fan of his. Within a few months of buying that album, I was on a TDY assignment in Northern Germany. I wasn't there but a few days when I went home with a waitress, starting a wonderful two year relationship, most of it long distance (home station was 400 miles away).

Thankfully, she had no affiliation with the Russians...lol. I think about her from time to time, fond memories. Probably my most lasting contribution to her life was introducing her to Dire Straits.

There was never any discussion of taking the relationship further. For me, a family and the Army didn't mix well, and she had children from her first marriage. We parted as very good friends. I think of her whenever I hear the Roxy Music song, "Oh Yeah."

Sorry for the hijack, but music was a big part of my life during my tour in Germany (77-81). I lived too far from base for TV reception, so I'd spend a lot of time mixing my own tapes.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

Millennials are wondering why we are giving one more change to #$% everything up to the generation already responsible for @#$$ everything up.

Not quite true...boomers ended the Cold War, and put Reagan in office.

That's my stance, and I'm sticking with it, dammit!!!   :patriot:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Night Hides Not

I think he wrote "Excitable Boy" about Trump

We need Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner to take on ISIS.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

We need Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner to take on ISIS.

I saw Zevon once in a small club in Cleveland.  A one man show, and we had a table right next to the stage.  Drank a bunch of gin/tonics that night, and didn't even mind my buddy smoking.  Somehow (sadly, I know) listening to him in a smoke-filled bar just seemed appropriate.

Fantastic show, btw.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

Would you choose Che as your avatar? Would you call fascist who would block Hillary's election? Would you call boot-licker who would block Hillary's election?

Is that how conservatives act?

You know that this 'New York liberal' chant is a slur, right?
Maybe he likes his music, and just maybe you should mind your own business.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

I'll second that, Guthrie was a US communist party 'known associate' for years.
Do we know the political affiliation of Rainier?

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
@aligncare

I served as well in the Gulf.  And while I was furious at the way Trump conducted himself during the primary, and resolved not to vote for him, the fact was that was my temper speaking.  At this point, I can look at the two candidates and see a significant difference even though I like neither.  I am perhaps biased, but I deeply resent what the Obama Administration and Ray Nabus have done to my beloved Marine Corps, as well as the Navy.  There is absolutely zero chance Hillary will reverse any of that, and a good chance she'll accelerate it.  And if there's one thing I feel fairly confident with about Trump, it's that I think he will not ever pressure the military to lower standards just to accommodate political correctness.  That's enough for me, because I owe that much to my brothers and sisters still serving.  I will not sit by and do nothing while this country elects someone who is very likely to endorse/push policies that will get some of them killed in the name of "social justice".

I despise Trump as a man, but still conclude that he's the better choice.  I'm voting for him, and hope, rather desperately, that he defeats Hillary.

My own odyssey from "never Trumpism" began on July 5, with the realization that the FBI and the DOJ were corrupted. I wrote a piece about it for this board. That corruption flourishes with a Clinton Presidency.

Second factor is personal. My son has just commenced the advanced phase of fighter strike jet training as a Marine student aviator, and pending his full qualification and winging, will likely be flying real missions directed by one of two people.

Kinda boiled it down to a pretty clear choice.

@LonestarDream

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
You're in the extreme minority of Americans who will vote for someone who has 0% chance of winning. There's no reason for anyone to bother courting you as a voter when there are much easier people to reach.
Well, it will be my life's new mission to make reaching them with the message of big government liberalism that much harder to do.

Are you voting for a Brand? A person? (That one, really?) or are you voting for what they promise? If the latter, why?

Is that because you think somehow new government programs will give you a smaller government?

Is it because you think a more efficient government doing things it never should will somehow liberate you?

I am voting for a candidate who represents a Party with the United States' Constitution as its platform.  Why would you vote otherwise?

To "win" by promoting and supporting that which you do not want?

That makes no sense.

I supported the GOP for decades in the off chance that, since Reagan, another would come along to push the discussion back in the right direction, to push the government back toward the Constitutional Republic we have all seen slipping away. That push just hasn't happened. A couple million Americans went to DC to protest that liberalism, to profess support for that Republic, and the result was the next crop of candidates claimed to support those principles, and with the exception of very few, promptly forgot all about that when they got elected. The problem has gotten worse, despite letters, withholding donations (and explaining why), surveys which wanted my money but apparently not my opinion, and all that time the GOP has gone farther than ever from a party I can support, with rare exception only paying lip service to the principles I hold dear.

Why would I continue to support that?

If some guy who promised to mow your lawn did half, scattered weed seed on it, and doubled the bill, would you hire him back? If you wouldn't have that in your yard, why do you continue to promote that being done to our country? The GOP won't even close its primaries.

This year's obviously Big Government Liberal candidate is the last straw.

So, no, I refuse to vote for more of the same. There is a better alternative, and all people need to do to make that a reality is to go for it. If enough will, the landscape could very well change.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Silver Pines

Other than sink, however, I try not to engage with #NeverTrump.

@aligncare

Nonsense.  You directly addressed NeverTrump a few posts ago.

Offline aligncare

My own odyssey from "never Trumpism" began on July 5, with the realization that the FBI and the DOJ were corrupted. I wrote a piece about it for this board. That corruption flourishes with a Clinton Presidency.

Second factor is personal. My son has just commenced the advanced phase of fighter strike jet training as a Marine student aviator, and pending his full qualification and winging, will likely be flying real missions directed by one of two people.

@LonestarDream

Oh, I don't know. Hillary might be OK. Hey, why don't we just give her a chance?

:silly:

Silver Pines

Thanks.    :laugh:

I agree.

@Wingnut

@MajorBillMartin

It completely went over my head.  I don't know what song it is, lol.  Sorry, Wingnut.   :thud:

Offline Smokin Joe

Earth to NeverTrump! Your country is calling.

A Darrell Castle vote might make you feel good about yourself -- Rush Limbaugh famously notes how the hallmark of liberal thinking is self affirmation and self esteem -- but that won't stop Hillary.

Darrell Castle is a wasted vote.
Only in your eyes. A vote for the candidate of the one Party which has the Constitution of the United States as its platform is NOT ever wasted. If enough people vote that way, the party grows. Unless you have a problem with the US Constitution, why waste your vote on a Statist Liberal?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sinkspur

@LonestarDream

Trump has said he wants to order your son to undertake a mission to kill the families of terrorists.  Does that make you comfortable?

Does he want to be part of a military apparatus that the CIC of the United States would order to waterboard or worse in contravention to US law?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Silver Pines

You know that this 'New York liberal' chant is a slur, right?

@endicom

@Smokin Joe

Trump should change his ways and conservatives should have rejected him, then.

Besides, Trump deserves every slur he gets.

Offline aligncare

Anyone saying that is an idiot, and if a poster here, should be banned.

That's the point. No one ever said that. He made it up. He's delusional.

Offline Smokin Joe

I only engage reality-based posters -- even those that disagree with me. Other than sink, however, I try not to engage with #NeverTrump. It's a waste of my time (I have a busy practice).

Their mind is closed to rational thought.
Well, now. First, I must ask why you are even on this thread, except the obvious PITA factor? If you are so busy, by all means occupy yourself otherwise.

No our minds aren't closed to rational thought, rather have closed on it.

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
That's the point. No one ever said that. He made it up. He's delusional.

No one said it here on this board, thankfully rules of civility against such still apply here, probably because Pro-Trump are in the minority of members.

On other BBS and sites where Trump's acolytes swarm - that is a different story. 

PLENTY of your fellow rabid Trump militants have made threats both direct and subtle on other fora and on social media groups.  Not just to me, but other members here who have experienced the same thing. 
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline endicom

Maybe he likes his music, and just maybe you should mind your own business.

Mind my own business? Like you're doing?